1x12 vs 2x12, 1x10 vs 2x10, etc.

SRBMusic

Tele-Meister
Gold Supporter
I have a 2x12 and a 2x10 cab. For those who are interested, both cabs are TRM pine cabs. The 2x12 is loaded with a Celestion Vintage 30 and a WGS Veteran 30. The 2x10 has JBL K110s. But this thread is about TWO vs ONE. I’m downsizing, don’t play big gigs anymore and am considering changing to a 1x12 and a 1x10. Is there a difference in 1 speaker vs 2 speaker sound that compels me to keep the 2x cabs?
Discuss.

KC

Friend of Leo's
Best-sounding cab I have is a 1x12 Bad Cat with a Bad Cat branded V30 in it. This thing is big, deep and solid, and it sounds great with any amp. I think it's the size and rigidity that make the difference. I have heard it argued that a single speaker cabinet is preferable to a multi-speaker as you are dealing with a single point source for the sound, prevent phase shifting & comb-filtering as you move around the room but I don't have any fixed opinions about this. I've played some big rooms & outdoor stages with the Bad Cat and thought it sounded great -- but I've also used it as an extension cab with the Black Cat 30 1x12 and thought that sounded great, too.

a long way of saying go for it. I don't think you'll lose much if anything going to a single speaker cab.

boxocrap

Tele-Afflicted
I have a 2x12 and a 2x10 cab. For those who are interested, both cabs are TRM pine cabs. The 2x12 is loaded with a Celestion Vintage 30 and a WGS Veteran 30. The 2x10 has JBL K110s. But this thread is about TWO vs ONE. I’m downsizing, don’t play big gigs anymore and am considering changing to a 1x12 and a 1x10. Is there a difference in 1 speaker vs 2 speaker sound that compels me to keep the 2x cabs?
Discuss.
i think you may get more presence in the room with 2 speakers but depends on your room too...your downsizing to what size room? an average room in a house? if so..one speaker will work np either 10" or 12"..but your amps output wattage comes into play as well...where does it sound the best?.25 watt...50?...75? +?..25 watt or less ( probably less) would seem to be ok if your not doing a garage band scene with real drums..and as a speaker is part of the sound ( i like mine to move) you should match as close as possible..the wattage to the speaker so..25 watt amp..and a 30 watt speaker..that kind of thing..you could crank your amp wide open and still have a little insurance on not blowing your speaker..most tube amps that i like ( i'm assuming you have one in mind) sound best at about 7 or so on a scale to 10..just at that edge where the power tubes are beginning to really work with the paper in the speaker moving nicely..thats my view on the whole deal..others may have different insights that i have missed

Chud

Poster Extraordinaire
Also depends on open vs closed back, or whether the 2x12’s are vertical or horizontal, and if vertical whether slanted or straight. I have two vertical slanted 2x12’s, one is offset and one is not. Sound throw is totally different between them.

brookdalebill

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
Me, my audience, and employers like me to use 1-12, in a sealed back cabinet.
I can be controlled most easily that way.
If I were King, I’d add another sealed back 12 cabinet.
So, 1-12 sealed back cabinet, for me.

Fiesta Red

Poster Extraordinaire
If I had my druthers (as my grannie used to say), I’d have a sealed-back 4x10 and an open-back 2x10 every time I tuned up.

My back, my ears and my audience is much happier with the 2x10 open-back combo I use.

If I were downsizing further (and I might), a 1x10 (open- or closed-back) would definitely be on the radar.

I prefer 10’s because they sound better for harmonica than 12’s…I also like the tighter low-end that occurs with 10’s.

But that’s just me…trust your own ears!

JustABluesGuy

Friend of Leo's
Also depends on open vs closed back, or whether the 2x12’s are vertical or horizontal, and if vertical whether slanted or straight. I have two vertical slanted 2x12’s, one is offset and one is not. Sound throw is totally different between them.

I’m interested in your experience with these vertical cabs. I’m a fan of vertical 2X cabs. Mine are all in the same plane. I have seen some slant front vertical cabs where only the top speaker is slanted.

I’m not sure I understand exactly what you have. If you don’t mind explaining in crayon terms their layout and if you can describe the differences a bit. I like the performance of a vertical layout because of comb filtering issues.

I’m very interested in your experiences and hearing more about the sonic differences, especially in regards to comb filtering. Thanks.

NoTeleBob

Friend of Leo's
If you have the home space, I'd keep the 2x10. If space reduction is the goal, a 1x12 in a reasonable cabinet probably uses less space. Then again, since vertical space isn't really an issue most of the time, I'd think of that 2x10 vertical with the head on top. Small amount of space usage for a lot of sound.

DrBGood

Tele-Afflicted
I'm getting pretty close to playing 2X10 cabs only. I'm building my third one, They give me my tone.
One has a Vox VX10 + WGS Veteran 10.
One has a Vox VX10 + a G10 Greenback
Third will be WGS Veteran 10 + Celestion VT Junior

To those I attach a Fender Super Champ XD, a Blues Jr, an Egnater Rebel 30 head and a Marshall Origin head.

JustABluesGuy

Friend of Leo's
I have been downsizing some as well.

I like 2x10s and 1x12s. Sometimes I use 2x1x12s. I like the versatility and ease of transport of smaller cabs. My 2x10s are pretty light weight.

I don’t have a need to downsize, and already have too many cabs, but if I were to do anything different it would be two 1x10s. Soon everything will be direct to the PA and even monitors will be in ears, so these speaker cabs are already just for small venue, studio or home use.

vintagelove

Tele-Meister
I would stick with a 2x12, however if you must, consider a dumble style 1x12 cabinet. It's the only 1x12 I've heard that satisfied me.

SRBMusic

Tele-Meister
Gold Supporter
Thanks for all the replies! Many good thoughts here. I’m leaning towards keeping the 2x10 and going with a 1x12.

Axis29

Poster Extraordinaire
For quiet play, at home? One speaker's probably gonna do you solid. When we record, a lotta time, you just mic one speaker... That's kinda the sound we're used to at lower volumes, yeah?

2x, or more by, for me, is about filling a room. My favorite really is my 4x10 Bassman. I have the luxury of a wife who actually likes my music and encourages me to play often... (Now, it wasn't always the case, but I've been practicing) ...And, at volume. So, I will forever be grateful. Because of this freedom, I play my 80 watt 2x12 Twin, or my '59 Bassman at home more often than any other amps.

But, if I grab one of my single speaker amps (1x10 or 1x12)... At home? I'm perfectly happy with the sound!

One by speaker boxes tend to be beamier... But, at home, I don't think that matters.

I dunno, when I quit gigging, I may get rid of a few amps... But, I'd struggle giving up my big 6L6/multi-speaker amps.

SRBMusic

Tele-Meister
Gold Supporter
I would stick with a 2x12, however if you must, consider a dumble style 1x12 cabinet. It's the only 1x12 I've heard that satisfied me.
As far as I can tell from looking around the ‘net, a dumble style 1x12 is large (25” w?) with an large oval port on the back, and some special interior construction to break up standing waves. I also saw a closed back front ported dumble 1x12 mentioned, which strikes me as possibly similar to the Thiele ported EV cabs of the 70s.
Can you describe what a dumble cab means to you, or reference a current maker? The thread I found from 2008 referenced builders who are not in business anymore.
Thanks!

Last edited:

vintagelove

Tele-Meister
As far as I can tell from looking around the ‘net, a dumble style 1x12 is large (25” w?) with an large oval port on the back, and some special interior construction to break up standing waves. I also saw a closed back front ported dumble 1x12 mentioned, which strikes me as possibly similar to the Thiele ported EV cabs of the 70s.
Can you describe what a dumble cab means to you, or reference a current maker? The thread I found from 2008 referenced builders who are not in business anymore.
Thanks!

Hello, the large oversized 1x12 with the oval back. It's large, but didn't sound boxy like other 1x12 cabs. I'd still stick with the 2x12 you have though.