1x12 Speaker Cabinet Size

dean

Friend of Leo's
I'm spending a bit of time trying all sorts of different combinations with my VHT Special 6 - different tubes and speakers mostly. I'd like to add a little (and I mean little) 1x12 cab to see what sounds I can get with larger speakers (I currently have been experimenting with 10" speakers). Years ago, I built a small box for a 10" speaker that fit perfectly into my office shelves. I was able to port the cabinet, and it sounds pretty darned good. I'd like to squeeze a 12" speaker into the same size, but it I won't be able to port the box or mount the speaker inside the box - it will have to be front-mounted (with an extending grill over the speaker). The shelf is approx. 13"x13", so it will be tight. My concern is how severe will the speaker performance suffer from being tucked into a very small box? Will the lack of a port really stifle the speaker? I can do either open or closed back on the box (and maybe I'll experiment with that). any suggestions? Here's my little 10" box:

IMG_5204.jpeg

schmee

Telefied
Silver Supporter
Depth is the biggest factor. To sound big with good fidelity make it 10-10.5" deep if you can. 9.5 ain't too bad. You need it to breathe. Bore a hole in the big shelf unit! Or slot the bottom front , a big slot.

dean

Friend of Leo's
Thanks for input, everyone. While I don't have much room on the front of the box, the backside is wide open. I have about 15" depth to work with. I can do little ports in the corners of the front, but if I do an open back or semi-open back, I may not need to. I also have a lot of little fun projects in the works, so I don't know when I'll get to this - or maybe I'll just put it at the front of the line. Keep the ideas coming!

PhredE

Tele-Afflicted
I can do either open or closed back on the box (and maybe I'll experiment with that). any suggestions?
What I've done on a few of mine are to make a 2-piece back. I use a fixed top panel to house the input jack and make the lower panel removable. It's the best of both worlds: you can have a fully sealed box if you want it, or, you can drop the lower panel to open the back (well, partially at least).

telemnemonics

Telefied
Ad Free Member
One thing I find in practice and read about in theory is that a too rigid baffle flattens and deadens the sound.
The vibrating speaker seems to produce more pleasing guitar sound if mounted to a less rigid material.
So 3/4” is too thick and deadens sound, while 1/2” or even 3/8” warms up the speaker sound.
the front mounted with almost no baffle is as stiff as possible.

FenderLover

Poster Extraordinaire
I have not found that to be true at all. A thin baffle is a "live-cabinet-tweed-thing", including (especially) how it is mounted. I have plenty 3/4" baffles that are anything but dead sounding. As you point out, with small dimensions there is less chance for cabinet resonance anyway, so don't think the baffle will tip any scales with thin material. Look at post #2. There's your answer.

telepraise

Tele-Afflicted
I agree with schmee, the box needs to be big enough to breathe if you're going to turn it up. There are some speakers that are designed for closed back cabs, but the generally go in bigger, deeper cabinets.

In my experimenting I came to the conclusion that a Deluxe Reverb size cab has the best sound for a 1 x 12 (for my ears). Even a Princeton is a little tight for a lot of 12 inch speakers.

dean

Friend of Leo's
Thanks for the thoughts! I will not be cranking this speaker at all - I’l be using it as a practice and experimenting tool for different amps and speakers. As of now, I’m leaning toward a semi-closed back setup. I may add directional baffles inside, though. In the end, it may not matter at the lower volumes I’ll be playing.