1x12 or 2x12 for home use at low volumes?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by charliebrownie, May 14, 2015.

1. charliebrownie

charliebrownie TDPRI Member

I just ordered a Ceriatone OTS lunchbox 20watt and am sourcing for a cab but was wondering if I should go for a 1x12 or 2x12 configuration for home use?

I live in an apartment and am unable to play loud and have read comments that a 2x12 cab will not have more volume than a 1x12 can but yet at the same time will sound fuller at low volumes compared to a 1x12.

Planning to run the Eminence c-rex in the cab. Would greatly appreciate any input, thanks.

2. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

20 watts packs a lot of punch..even in bar......perhaps an early breakup alnico in a 1x12...it will force you to have low vol and still sound sweet imho

3. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

My preference for low volume playing (meaning no louder than the television) is a pair of 1x12s spread out a bit.

4. JD0x0

JD0x0 Poster Extraordinaire

Go with 2x 12'' speakers. Whether that means 2x 1x12's or 1x 2x12.

The OTS, as I'm sure you know, is based off of a dumble. They dont need to be cranked, to get good tones, that sweet overdrive comes from the preamp breaking up.

5. charliebrownie

charliebrownie TDPRI Member

Thanks. I was actually considering of getting an attenuator such as a C-lator or Kleinlator for the amp as I was worried it wouldn't get me good tones at TV volumes. I guess there is no need for one then?

6. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I don't need an attenuator with my Boogies (one is 90 watts, the other 100). In fact, I used to use my Mark V with a Recto 2x12 in my apartment.

7. KC

KC Friend of Leo's

Hmmm . . . Great-sounding amp but maybe not at tv volume. Needs to breathe a little. I'm playing mine through a gold in a big solid Bad Cat cab and it's not a living room amp. If you're trying to make that work, try to find the most inefficient 12 or 10 on the planet.

8. perttime

perttime Tele-Afflicted

Whatever you get, raise it above floor level. Put it on a chair if that is all you have.

9. Christopher!

Christopher! TDPRI Member

Sorry, misread post.

10. sjruvolo

sjruvolo Tele-Meister

What ever you get...I recommend the 2x12 cab, someone will complain when your having fun. Get a good set of headphones as well then you can jam like a rock star when the neighbors are pissed.

11. gridlock

gridlock Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Two twelve will give more bass at lower volumes. My SF Twin Rrverb sounds great at low volumes.

12. Cleeve

Cleeve Tele-Holic

A 2-12 is more directional due to multi-path cancellations, but in an apartment with so many surfaces bouncing the sound around, it won't matter.
    A good 2-12 is such a useful thing , if nothing else it's a good size to sit on! Plus if you ever do a gig, you are ready.
    Even a cranked-up 8" champ is too loud for an apartment unless you put the rig in a soundproof box.

13. tarheelbob

tarheelbob Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I am seriously GAS-ing for the same Ceriatone OTS. Whichever way you go, let us know how it works out.

That lunchbox, paired with a 2x10 cabinet has gotten my attention. An Alnico/ceramic 10" combo from Weber, WGS, or Tone Tubby would be delicious, IMHO.

Good luck. Enjoy.

- Bob

14. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

I've gone from a 2 x 12 to a couple of 1 x 12s and a 1 x 10. They all sound good. I think if I were to make my ideal bedroom, small gig amp, it would have 2 x 10.

15. drmcclainphd

drmcclainphd Tele-Afflicted

There's no reason why your intended purpose would require a particular driver diameter or number of them. Volume depends on your volume control setting. If you were going to play loudly, two drivers would provide about 3 dB more sound pressure level than one. But you're not going to play loudly. You're going to reduce the output current by increasing the resistance on that line. You're going to turn that knob so that what comes out is adequate for your purpose but not so loud as to bother your neighbors. As such, it matters zilch whether you have a 6 inch or a full stack of dual 4 x 12s. And if you're planning on playing at low volume, even one of those drivers is overkill. It has a sensitivity of 101.8 dB > 8 ohms @ 1 kHz/1 w/1 m so with one watt in you're getting the volume of a motorcycle out. Since mostly it seems like your mind is mostly made up, there's hardly room for input, and the one question you do pose is on the order of "what kind of explosives are best for killing flies?". If low volume and apartment playing is the point, headphones is the logical answer. For fuller sound, set it in a corner.

16. Crazy neddie

Crazy neddie Tele-Meister

The crex is a pretty loud speaker. Most of Eminence speakers are quite sensitive, thus very loud. A G12m 65 is a great sounding, inefficient speaker. The Rex will be much louder than the '65 at the same volume setting on the amp.

17. olefudd

olefudd Tele-Meister

I've got a 20 watt Orange Micro Terror running through a 1x12 cab loaded with a Celestion G12H Anniversary and it pumps out way more volume than I can ever use in my house. A 2x12 would be mucho overkill.

18. Mike_LA

Mike_LA Tele-Afflicted

I use a cab cut for 2, 8" alnico webers.
    Rather nice for low volume stuff.

19. keithb7

keithb7 Friend of Leo's

In my experience any tube amp that I have ever owned would cause problems in an apartment. Smallest one I ever owned was a 5F1 at +/- 5W. That too will piss of neighbours. Every tube amp sounds different depending how hard you push the tubes, push the speakers, and how much air you move. You'll be often tempted to find out how it sounds at various volume settings.

In an apartment I'd just settle on something cheaper that'll sound Ok with pedals or multi FX and has a headphone jack. Just my opinion.

20. ce24

ce24 Poster Extraordinaire

I'm runnin 2x10's and the12 from my combo 5e3 into a 1 in 4 out parallel box I built. the cab is 8 ohms and the combo is 8 so I'm in the 4 ohm jack, and it is sweet at any vol.

cheers ce24

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.