1x12 in a Tweed Super?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by High Head Brad, Jul 9, 2019.

1. High Head Brad

High Head Brad TDPRI Member

I'm currently looking at getting a Tweed Super built by Headstrong and was initially planning on a 1x12" speaker. Main reasons were largely due to portability, cab size and more familiarity with 12" speakers.

However I've since read a few comments around the traps about the 'magic' of the 2x10's in the Super's so now I am reconsidering. Interested to hear any thoughts on what differences I could expect between both options.

2. cgharrison

cgharrison TDPRI Member

That circuit was essentially the exact same for the bandmaster, pro and super. People love to talk about magic, but they’re all 99% the same. Just get it with whatever speaker configuration you prefer, and enjoy. One of my favorites!

High Head Brad likes this.
  3. High Head Brad

Thanks. Yea I'm across the bandmaster / pro / super overlap. But good point....... I could call the amp a version of any of those

4. Uncle Daddy

Uncle Daddy Tele-Holic

A couple of low power alnico speakers won't weigh much more than a single 12". I've owned 1x12, 2x10 and 3x10 versions, and my favourite is the 2x10. Same size as a Hotrod deluxe, and gives a swirly 3D tone.

High Head Brad and skerwo like this.
  5. skerwo

skerwo Tele-Meister

Like Uncle Daddy said you get more 3D and punch from the 2x10. And it´s not much bigger or heavier than 1x12. I love the 2x10 in my Tweed Super and never looked back to 1x12 or 2x12 amps I owned before.

6. VintageSG

VintageSG Friend of Leo's

I don't own a 2x10" combo, but I do own a 2x10" cab. Since building it, the 12" stuff just doesn't get a look in [1]. Clarity, punch, soundstage and bass in spades. If your builder is up for it, why not get another baffle so you can chop and change to suit your whim?, or buy/build a 2x10" cab and every now and then, run the amp through that.

[1] I'm most of the way through building a 12" equipped sort of 5f2a combo. Running my Champ-a-like head through the cabinet, then through its normal 2x10", I'm half wishing I'd gone the head/cab route again. The combo speaker sounds just fine, but when you have a taste for double cream topping your cake, somehow single cream seems lacking.

7. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Poster Extraordinaire

If I was getting a Super, I'd go 2x10 in a V-front cab. Live life to the fullest.

8. High Head Brad

Hmmmmm you guys are making a pretty compelling case for 2x10’s!

9. theprofessor

theprofessor Friend of Leo's

I would DEFINITELY do 2x10's. I have always been fond of amps that are 1x12's, and three of my four amps have a single 12" speaker: a vintage Deluxe Reverb, a 6g2 brown Princeton clone, and a 5e3 clone. But there is really something different about a 2x10 configuration, which I have in the 5f4 tweed Super I built. It is just stunning. and it's not heavy. It's lighter than my '76 Deluxe Reverb, which has an MDF baffle. I'd have loved to have had a 5e7 Bandmaster, but I think portability would have become more of a problem there.

As others have said, the circuits of the 5f4 Super, the 5e7 Bandmaster, and the 5e5 Pro (or is it 5e5-a in particular?) are virtually identical. I did a direct comparison between the 5f4 and 5e7 circuits when I built my 5f4, and everything is identical--everything--except the value of a local negative feedback resistor (twice as much NFB/half the resistor value in the 5f4) and the number of speakers (5f4: 2x10; 5e7: 3x10). I built my 5f4 with the lesser NFB of the 5e7 and have absolutely loved that amp.

Please build your 5f4 with 2x10's! :)

10. High Head Brad

You raise a really good point actually. My other amp (after I sell a HPTT clone to fund this one) has a 1x12 (5E3 clone) so the different configuration is probably a nice contrast. I think you have sold me on the 2x10’s. In this case, what speakers would you recommend? I’m not really familiar with any 10” speakers but I assume Weber make some nice alnico’s

11. Uncle Daddy

Uncle Daddy Tele-Holic

Unless you have really short arms, the 3x10 drags along the ground when you pick it up. Almost!

12. High Head Brad

My arms aren’t short but I’m definitely not gonna get a Bandmaster...... not this time around at least.

13. skerwo

skerwo Tele-Meister

I like the Webers in my Tweed Super. I went for a mix of alnico and ceramic speakers but there´s also nothing wrong with two Weber alnicos.

14. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

My experience is it's easier to find the right speaker you like in 12". I have had a TON of trouble trying to get the right 2 x 10 combo. Others have too... if you look up the old Vibrolux Speakers thread I think it went for years ... with people trying to find the speakers they like.
    Here's ROUND 12 of that thread!
    http://www.tdpri.com/threads/vibrolux-reverb-speakers-round-12.702171/

15. caspersvapors

caspersvapors Tele-Meister

I mean, that was one obsessed person. And I do mean obsessed in the most flattering way possible because I do appreciate what he did, but I think at some point you just have to accept your tone for what it is and play guitar.

16. theprofessor

theprofessor Friend of Leo's

I went with the much-maligned Jensen "reissue" P10R's. They were very well broken in, and they sound magnificent! Other than those, I would go with a pair of Eminence alnico 1028k for sure. Weber does make some good speakers, but I don't think you'll find anything better than those Eminence 1028k's.

Uncle Daddy and High Head Brad like this.
  17. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

OP: If you go that way you might contact the poster in this thread. Sounds like he may change out his Emi Blues...maybe he'd sell to you. just a thought.
    http://www.tdpri.com/threads/plugging-straight-in-to-a-vibrolux-reverb-amp.961734/#post-9194027

18. High Head Brad

19. Stratandtele

Stratandtele Tele-Meister

I built that circuit and used a wgs 12”, their version of the celestion vintage 30, it sounds great and cut the weight down a bit. Go for it

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.