1W FrankenAmp

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by alathIN, Apr 7, 2020.

1. alathIN

alathIN Tele-Holic

Thinking about my next project and very tempted to try one of the 1W designs that use a 12Asomething for power tubes.
    I am considering one of the RobRob 1W amps using a 12whatever7 for the power stage - or maybe a FrankenRob combination of different features.

I have an abandoned previous project that I could build this on. It's a full size amp head chassis and has a Classictone 40-18019 power transformer. It is set up for a tube rectifier. It has a choke and a reverb transformer but no output transformer.
    There are punch outs for 11 pots permanently labelled - bias, gain, bass, mid, treble, volume, speed, depth, dwell, level, tone - in that order.
    There are tube sockets for the rectifier and seven 9-pin mini sockets.

The obvious thing to do is make a 1W Princeton Reverb - all I would need is a small OT.
    But I'm kind of wondering how well these 1W Fender-based amps reproduce Fender blackface cleans.
    If I can get really nice Fender cleans in a not-so-loud package that would be great.
    But if the idea is to recreate a massively overdriven Princeton reverb at low volumes, I'm not as excited and might be more tempted to build something Marshall-ish in it.

Also I have heard folks waxing rhapsodic about EL84 driven reverb, so it would be tempting to play with that idea.

Would appreciate suggestions - especially about how what kind of clean sounds you get out of these 1W blackface amps.

Paul-T likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.