1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

.1uf Capacitor or Not?

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by PJ55, Jul 30, 2014.

1. PJ55

PJ55 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I'm wiring-up a project and have never used the .1uf cap called for with the AV'52 Tele wiring. The '50s Tele wiring that I'd been using doesn't use this cap, just the .047 that I'm used to seeing in my old '70, '50 reissue, etc. If I'm using a set of Texas Specials, would you guys recommend using/not-using the .1 capacitor? I'm stumped on what it really brings to the party.

2. Rod Parsons

Rod Parsons Friend of Leo's

Not! Use the .047 or a .022... I use a .015.. That gives me all the treble roll off I need.

3. Tele-phone man

Tele-phone man Tele-Afflicted

Yeah, 0.1uF is way overkill. Or should I say, tonekill. 0.022uF is the largest I will use.

4. KokoTele

KokoTele Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

This is why we shouldn't be calling that Parka/Greene mod "50's wiring." There's nothing 50's about it.

That 0.1uf cap is what Fender originally used to cut ALL of the highs so a Tele player could fake the bass lines. It's pure mud. You want to use the post-'67 scheme with a .047 uf cap. Tie it to the output of the volume pot instead of the input per the Parka/Greene mod.

5. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

I prefer the "Greene/Fezz Mod" myself.:D:D

6. GCKelloch

GCKelloch Tele-Afflicted

The Parka/Greene mod actually causes an upper mid peak to form as the volume and tone knob are turned down. It might be useful depending on where the peak is located, which depends on the pickup inductance. The late Bill Lawrence recommended a 600-800Hz peak for the tone knob, which generally has a horn-like "bop"quality.

Using a single cap on pickups of different inductance is a compromise. You could wire an 0..022uF/22nF/2200pF from the neck toggle lug to the tone pot input and a 10nF from the bridge toggle lug to that same input. Then wire the tone pot output to ground. You will get a more consistent peak in all positions, which should be in the "bop" range for standard Tele pickups. You might need to go down to a ~15nF for the neck if it's a low inductance pickup. You can get caps in bulk very cheap from BYOC. Cap type doesn't really matter. It just need be rated above 1V. Even 100V caps are pretty small.

7. VerySlowHand

VerySlowHand Tele-Holic

As the others have alluded to, 0.1uF brings a ball of cotton wool to stick in your ears, so that the party is just some muffled event taking place in another room.

Weeman333 likes this.
  8. sjtalon

sjtalon Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I think the misnomer about 50's is because that's what GIBSON folks call it. Actually Gibson 50's MOD, not wiring, like you say, nothing to do with Fender. Don't know that they EVER had Parka/Greene.

CS TS I would diffidently just wire up with a 4 w switch and a .022 tone pot cap. Fezz/Green if you want to try it.

9. Amby

Amby Tele-Holic

I had a 0.1mf cap as standard in my '61 Strat for many years, before discovering what I was missing when I changed to .005mf. Let the bright in.

10. GCKelloch

GCKelloch Tele-Afflicted

It's difficult to tell with the variables involved, but your liable to get a 1-1.5kHz peak with a standard early 60's ~2.4H Strat pickup, a 5nF cap, 250k pots and a typical ~400pF cable. That's Clapton "Woman" tone territory. Someone once aptly described it as Kazoo-like. I prefer a peak in the 1.5-2kHz range, like Hendrix had live with his Strats and a ~24oopF coil cable. A 2nF cap should do it. You could also go for an EVH-like metallic peak in the 2-2.5kHz range – good for cutting through a mix, but not as sweet as the “vocal” 1.5-2kHz peak. All of these higher frequency peaks might be limiting in some respect. You might want to reserve them either for the bridge pickup, and use the standard bop peak for the neck. It's easy enough to experiment with a Tele.

11. Wileyone

Wileyone Tele-Holic

I recently rewired a Tele to "Roy's" specs. With an original 60's .05 tone cap and a .1 from the volume pot to the switch.

[​IMG]

Don't get me wrong I Love Tele's but the country twang sometimes get's anoying. This turns an ordinary Tele into a Blues Machine.

12. KokoTele

That .1 cap is just cutting a lot of bass, which kind of makes sense because Buchanan was always known for a bright tone.

13. Wileyone

Wileyone Tele-Holic

Ever tried it?

14. BopT

BopT Tele-Afflicted

.010 is my new favorite especially for an Esquire.

15. KokoTele

Yes.

16. GCKelloch

GCKelloch Tele-Afflicted

Reducing the bass a bit can tighten up a distortion tone. I haven't really found a need for it, but sometimes use my parallel wired Wilde Q-filter to similar effect for a less aggressive lead tone. I would think such a high cap value wouldn't cut that much bass. You could easily wrap over a wire and connect/disconnect it to compare the sound with the cap engaged.

17. PJ55

Wiley's wiring looks pretty close to exactly what Fender shows in their AV52 wiring diagram. I can't say I've ever used the .1 cap. For this project, I'm using a Sprague SBE225P100V - .047uf cap - (I think I've read those micron-high characters correctly).

Picture1-TELE.jpg

18. Wileyone

Wileyone Tele-Holic

I got that diagram off Don Mare's site. Wired mine up using Vintage RMC Caps. Absolutely Love the way it sounds.

In the 52av version it looks like the .1 cap runs from the switch to ground on the volume pot. In Don M's version it runs to the first lug on the volume pot.

19. PJ55

On closer look, there are some differences between the two diagrams. Sounds like most folks have shot-down the Fender wiring using the .1cap. Maybe I'll give the Wiley-Tone a try! Thanks for sharing.

20. SnidelyWhiplash

SnidelyWhiplash Friend of Leo's

I prefer .047 or .05 for both Strats & Teles. More of an " old school "
    sound through my BF amps. :cool:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.