1st world old man problem : TCM no longer free on our cable provider.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Mike Eskimo, Oct 14, 2019.

1. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I was switching around last night seeing if there was anything that I needed to record and went over to trusty channel 24 to be informed that I now need a subscription to watch TCM .

My wife said “Good” because if a movie is black and white she quickly exits the room.

And it’s not like we just have basic. I’ve got every channel under the sun including the premium ones .

Maybe now I will watch the 100+ movies already on our DVR, 95% of which were recorded off of TCM .

But when those are all done being watched, we might have to take action…

nojazzhere and Toto'sDad like this.
  2. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

I like having TCM, but I don't watch it much. Once in a while when I'm in the mood I'll watch a Bogey movie. This is kind of hard to put into words for me, but to me, Bogey represented one of the few people in the movies who actually seemed like an adult. I know it was an act, but there was no inner child anywhere in that man, at least on screen. The era I come from, there were a lot of genuine men, it's nice to see that portrayed on screen.

When I was a lad, there were altogether NO sensitive men in my life. When I wsa going to school in Akansas, I was getting a drink out of a well that was on the school property. A man walks up beside me carrying a .22 caliber rifle. There was a little kiten, I mean just tiny walking around near me. The guy says is this your cat? I said no. He said, do you want it? I said no. Pow, he shoots the cat in the head. Then he walked on about his buisness. I wished a thousand times I would have said sure, I want the cat. I had no clue he was going to do what he did. No school teacher came to see what was going on, no one cared. I don't necessarily miss that world, I'd rather be playing golf.

3. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

If I ever get that old, shoot me.

4. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

The providers seems to be making TV worse and worse. Dishnet keeps dropping things too.

5. GibbyTwin

GibbyTwin Tele-Meister

somewhere between Asbury Park and Atlantic City
    Same thing happened here. Money grab. In order to get TCM I would have to order their 'sports package'. I would think that anyone into sports enough to purchase a cable package that offers mountains of games/shows/talk about it isn't doing it for the classic movies. I'm now looking into alternatives.

nojazzhere likes this.
  6. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

I hope that's just YOUR cable provider.
    Like TD, I find I watch TCM less than I use to, but still REALLY enjoy it on occasion. Bravo use to show movies un-edited and un-interrupted, and now they're basically the network of Housewives of (fill in blank) and other horrible "reality" shows.
    Sorry for you, man. :(

7. Toto'sDad

I like golf and football on TV, I wish there was an option for having golf, football, and the Home and Garden channel for my wife. I think that would probably do it for me. I hate the trashy so called movie channels other than TCM, I tried to dump them, but the provider said, AWWW NAAHH that's your BONUS, we can't take away that!

GibbyTwin and nojazzhere like this.
  8. dickey

dickey Tele-Afflicted

Unfortunately, your wife is missing some of the best movies ever made.
    Gonna be switching to firestick. My GF has it & you can get anything ever made commercial free. Between the high price of cable, & the plethora of offensive commercials nowadays, I'm pretty much done with cable.

howardlo and GibbyTwin like this.
  9. Bassman8

Bassman8 Tele-Meister

I record the occasional movie from TCM and I certainly appreciated them for exposing me to great stuff over the years but at this point if they (Direct TV) want me to pay for it, I'd pass. No doubt they'll do something sleazy, just like their bi-annual overcharging us and hoping we won't notice.

10. getbent

getbent Telefied Ad Free Member

I am the only one in my family that will watch black and white... we spend on netflix, prime, hulu and we have pluto tv (free) along with direct tv. It is not free, but I dont like impediments.

If you have a device that can run pluto, it is pretty cool and LOTS of old movies.

Mike Eskimo likes this.
  11. Toto'sDad

I sincerely believe the trashy way the world conducts itself now, has been largely fueled by television, and it's continually downwardly spiraling programing. If something happened to where we had NO television at all, there would probably be an improvement in the overall life quality of EVERYONE! If the modern day cell phone ceased to function, and internet collapsed, no telling how much the world would improve.

I remember some years ago, when a lot of the people where I worked at signed up with Facebook, within six months most them weren't speaking to each other, and that was the one's who weren't issuing death threats to their fellow Facebookers. Sheesh how can that be a good thing?

Then there's twitter:

[​IMG]

12. Kirchensfan

Kirchensfan Telefied Ad Free Member

To OP; DITTO. Cable apparently the only business who can one-sidedly change the terms of a contract midstream.

Mike Eskimo likes this.
  13. Slip Kid

Slip Kid Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

That happened to me with Comcast when we moved 1 town over. I went to watch it but it was missing from the lineup. They told me that I was on a different Comcast system in the next town and it was part of their sports package. I told them how it didn’t make any sense given it was the only non sport related channel in the package. I don’t care about the sports channels and wasn’t going to shell out extra for it. I since changed to Frontier and get TCM but keep waiting for them to take it away (I have not had a very positive relationship with Frontier).

Mike Eskimo and GibbyTwin like this.
  14. GibbyTwin

GibbyTwin Tele-Meister

somewhere between Asbury Park and Atlantic City
    At least there is an alternative.
    Where I am Comcast is the only game in town. The next town over has Fios as an alternative competitor to Comcast but here it's their way or the highway.

15. Mike Eskimo

I know if there was no TV there’d be no HGTV which means a lot of the same old same old crap that women insist upon in their remodels wouldn’t exist and everyone would just figure out what they liked instead of some fixer-upper couple dictating interior style for the United States of middle of the road...

So all the crap that is all the same in our towns, the big box stores and fast food chains the Home Depot’s ? You know all the businesses that make you forget where you are because everywhere looks the same?

Now you can blindfold somebody and drive them to a bunch of different houses all over the country , takeoff the blindfold once they’re inside and there it is: the open floor plan ! (“ we’re going to take down this wall and really open it up !”)

The white shaker cabinets. A subway tile backsplash. The bowl of green apples on the granite countertop.

Auuuugggghhh....

Last edited: Oct 14, 2019
    Toto'sDad likes this.
  16. Toto'sDad

I particularly like that HGTV seems enamored of showing how wonderful living on the beach in Mexico is, with most of the places they show not even having a door on them. You just walk right in out of the yard into the house, I'm sure that's really handy for the criminals who seem to be everywhere down there. I would not take one of those places for FREE if I had to live in it.

17. Mike Eskimo

There aint criminals all over Mexico. :lol:

Certain parts of Mexico sure.

Don’t let them sell you a bill of goods. The meedya that is...

A dream vacation for me would be two weeks in Mexico City. I would love to go there.

Different folks for different spokes or whatever the **** that saying is .

nixdad and Toto'sDad like this.
  18. Toto'sDad

Flip or Flop's Tarec and Christina's horrid taste have made their way into every living room in America as you suggest. What's amazing about Tarec and Christina is that after flipping countless home, they STILL have not learned to look UP. The first thing I ever looked at when buying a home was the roof, sometimes I just turned around and left without ever going inside if I didn't like what I saw. Those two without regard for the structural soundness of their mods, seem hell bent on taking down every wall their eyes focus on. The only time they know the roof is bad is when an infrequent rain in southern California floods the house their working on, then then they go out and look up at the roof and the parts that haven't blown off, of the four overlays on it and say, gee you reckon we need a roof here?

Mike Eskimo likes this.
  19. getbent

getbent Telefied Ad Free Member

there was no hgtv in the 70's and we got avocado green, golden effing harvest, orange counter tops or worse 'mexican tile' counter tops (science projects fo sho) and gigantic furniture... worse was the 'spanish style' that people put awful greens and reds and oranges together and shag carpet... if we get a little too nuts with open concept and ship lap and Texas Francais Country... or tariq's amazingly odd tile jobs....

I'd think you'd kind of like that.... it makes it easier to make people happy and they feel like they have something unique just like the other unique people (think GIGANTIC, EXPENSIVE AC/DC tshirts in black) and they can feel special for a minute.

Most people don't really know what they like until you show it to them...

I look at the description you made as similar to the dudes who want a 52 ri and a blues junior.... nothing wrong with that combo...

20. Toto'sDad

A local car dealer who had been a contributing member of our community for years and that my wife and I had personally met, was beaten to death in his nice condominium that he kept in Cabo this year. His golfing buddy for years had warned him of the folly of spending time down there. One year when four of my coworkers went to Rosarito (where much of the Titanic was filmed) for a week, while they were there, seventeen people were executed less than a twenty minute ride from where they were staying. They only learned of the event upon returning to b town. None of them have been back since. Finally, my own daughter and son-in-law used to visit Cabo San Lucas every year and play golf down there, then people started getting killed there. They don't go to Mexico anymore. None of the people I mention worked for the "meedya."

A family of five brothers who I used to do business with when I still worked bought an elaborate estate together near Ixtapa Mexico on land though Ixtapa itself is largely comprised of floating vessels and barges. They pooled their resources, and money to fix the place up, and divided it into five different living quarters anticipating living down there when they retired. Now, all of them fear going down there, they have since just abandoned the place and have gone their separate ways. A dream shattered, but they don't care, they aren't going down there for any reason.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2019
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.