1st Time Metal Flake Advice Needed

torodurham

Tele-Holic
I used to be able to search for related info b4 posting a new thread, but I can't figure out how to with the new search program...so I apologize for asking redundant info...
I have a guitar top I'm going to refinish with a classic red sparkle/metal flake.
I started by scuffing existing 2k Ommi urethane clear..which I believe I can leave and start over with a base...have not shot anything yet..as I have found various ways which leads to more questions...anyway heres a few questions..
1. Best metalflake to use and size?
2. What size nozzle is needed?
3. Base with silver first?
4. Use intensifier in clear after flake?
5. Silver or red flake?
I'm sure to have left somethg important out...but heres top I'm refinishing

Attachments

• 20150610_150052.jpg
    20150610_150052.jpg
    143.4 KB · Views: 199

Buckocaster51

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ad Free Member
Everything you seek is here ----> CLICK <----

I use 0.015" hex flake. TCP Global is a good source. DO NOT USE CRAFT FLAKE from a hobby store.

Float the flake on a layer of intercoat/color blender

I put it on with a Flake Buster. Before I had a Flake Buster I sprinkled it on with a salt shaker. You can (and I have) sprayed it with a gun, but even the low-tech salt shaker is, IMHO, superior.

Use BLACK base...or the color of your flake.

I have no idea what "intensifier" is.

If you want red flake, use red flake.

Here is a little project I just did for a friend.

stools.jpg

Last edited:

Rano Bass

Tele-Holic
Color intensifier is what the the paint store guru called the candy of candy apple red
Ok for that you would use silver flakes and then red candy but IMHO It is a lot harder to do. Just do the red flakes.
I like to spray them, that way I don't waste that much flakes.
Like Bucko said TCP Global is a good source for flakes in all sizes and colors.

Buckocaster51

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ad Free Member
Color intensifier is what the the paint store guru called the candy of candy apple red
Aha!

I have a flaked Fender Jazzmaster that appears to have been done that way. The intensifier sucks all of the life from the flake

It does look like a useful product and has given me some ideas.

Thanks

ebb soul

Poster Extraordinaire
The most important think to know with metal flake is that any foreign object, even the least speck of dust
Will draw the flakes to it like a large magnet.
The second most important thing is do not try to correct any sag or flaw while wet.

ebb soul

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold or silver flakes will look much deeper with say a red tint over, than red flakes and clear.
That was the preffered method of chopper and hot rod builders, back when flake was the rage.
I would buy flake from local auto finish supplier, and ask what tip would best match the size flake you choose while there.
Coloured flakes are mostly employed when you want several colours in the mix.
That's how they did Dusty Hills' 'cloud' bass.

teledude66

Friend of Leo's
Depending on flake size, you can get the Harbor Freight cheap paint guns, maybe 14$'s maybe cheaper with coupons. Its a one use deal, you'll never get flake out of a gun, use the HF gun then chunk it. I flaked my bike tank, and used silver base, then clear mixed with flake to your taste, I think I did 4 coats, then a couple coats of clear with your good gun. You want the coats without flake to cut, and buff with, and not get into your flake layers.

Peltogyne

Friend of Leo's
In response to #1, whatever size you want. .015 will give you the larger flake seen on many country guitars, super flashy. You can go even bigger. I've been using .004 and it's still sparkly but more subtle if you can use that word with flake.

#3, on some of the few flake flake jobs I've done the base coat is completely gone and could have been pink. Then some are less flaked and the base color adds to the overall color. I did a silver base on this one but you can't see any of it. http://www.tdpri.com/threads/brushed-sparkles-on-white-pearl.600502/

I like the idea of silver flake with a red clear (intensifier), it's just a different look. You'd get different looks if you filled the flake with red than if you filled with clear and then top coated with red.

But the important question is... Are you going to keep that birdseye stripe in the middle or bury it in flake?

torodurham

Tele-Holic
Just completed my 1st metal flake finish. Got rid of the master volume which was right in the path of right hand while playing and dropped in a set of new bare knuckles VHII in it to boot. Gave it a split coil option with push pull on tone pot.
Sounds sweet and looks way better than finish I had originally chose. Now finish fits the body attitude.
Note to anyone interested in doing a metal flake finish..first time applied flake in clear...ended up way to thick.
Started over and applied flake using salt shaker method...came out WAY better flake coverage and half the finish thickness. Faster, less material better sparkle effect +++

Attachments

• 20161003_214824.jpg
    20161003_214824.jpg
    137.8 KB · Views: 231

Cat MacKinnon

Friend of Leo's
Aha!

I have a flaked Fender Jazzmaster that appears to have been done that way. The intensifier sucks all of the life from the flake

It does look like a useful product and has given me some ideas.

Thanks

The "intensifier" would probably be great for a burst flake job, say silver flake with a turquoise burst or something like that. Then again, I suppose you could also just use a tinted shader or something so I guess I fail to see the point of the intensifier. Paint isn't really my forte, but it seems like HOK's Kandy Base Coats might look nicer for that kind of burst.