1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

1st Tele Build

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by Jtmart, Aug 10, 2019.

1. Jtmart

Jtmart TDPRI Member

771F70E3-F2A0-4487-8358-50C723F01C62.jpeg F003AD0F-FA74-42E4-9EBD-99ED9B7D2255.jpeg 4A454E5C-CD83-4A86-B839-7308552845BF.jpeg Here’s my first Tele build from a few months ago. Figured Walnut top on a one piece Mahogany body, Gonçalo Alvie’s neck (unfinished), Mesquite fretboard, TV Jones Classic Filtertron pickups, StewMac roller bridge, Bigsby B50 Vibrato and Grover Mini Rotomatic locking tuners.

The beautiful Figured Walnut came from a friend in Arkansas who has a sawmill, the Mesquite came from lumber I milled.

2. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Poster Extraordinaire

A magnificent beauty. I love walnut and that piece has a particularly beautiful figure to it. The mahogany back is a good match for it. Neck woods perfectly complement the body woods.

How does it sound? If you record something with it, please post it. I wouldn't mind seeing more pictures too! Nice work, man!

Jtmart likes this.
  3. Jtmart

Jtmart TDPRI Member

Thanks! It sounds tremendous, the TV’s cover a lot of ground, it has quickly become my favorite guitar but not just for the the pickups. I love the neck, it’s a Modern C that I copied from a Modern Player Tele I had traded for a couple years ago. It’s what turned me into a Tele fan, I’d never really played one enough, thought they were just for country.

I’ve been meaning to do a little demo, maybe soon. I’ll take some more pics, these were right after I finished in January.

4. jimilee

jimilee Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

That’s beautiful man. Now you’re real problem is how are you going to top it on your next build?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jtmart likes this.
  5. DrPepper

DrPepper Friend of Leo's

That walnut looks beautiful, nice guitar, congrats.

Jtmart likes this.
  6. jackal

jackal Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

Very nice!

Jtmart likes this.
  7. thesjkexperienc

thesjkexperienc Tele-Holic

Really nice! Love to hear it in person.

Jtmart likes this.
  8. Macrogats

Macrogats Friend of Leo's

Wow dude. That is one mighty fine looking guitar. What a great job, it looks fantastic. I’ve been itching for some walnut - really love the look of it - and funnily enough I found a nice veneer piece on trade just the other day. At $125 local it seems a little pricey, but you may have just inspired me.

Ps - I’d love to see more pics of yours as well.

Edit: How do you find the roller bridge with the Bigsby?

Jtmart likes this.
  9. t-ray

t-ray Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Beautiful! That Mesquite is going to last forever. Had not thought about it for a fret board. And excellent choice of pups. I have a TV on my La Cab and love it.

Jtmart likes this.
  10. Jtmart

Jtmart TDPRI Member

Hi Macrogats! The Tunomatic style roller bridge from StewMac is a nice piece of hardware, very smooth and comfortable on the hand. It’s my first Bigsby so I can’t compare but it does stay in tune pretty well and I understand Bigsby are notorious for falling out of tune. I used the roller bridge, GraphTech nut and string tee to help out as much as I could, seems to do well unless you dive bomb the tremolo. Even then sometimes just a quick tap and release will put it back in tune.

Yeah, $125 seems pretty high, around here black walnut goes for around $6-$8/ board ft but you have to go online for a piece that’s figured and I don’t know what that would cost. Hope you find something you like!

11. Jtmart

Jtmart TDPRI Member

Thanks for the kind words guys! I really do love those TV’s, I was was looking for something cheaper and another builder said “trust me, save up and go with the TV Jones”, glad I did!

t-ray likes this.
  12. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Yeah!

Jtmart likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.