1st Tele build ever

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by JurnyWannaBe, Jan 25, 2020.

1. JurnyWannaBe

JurnyWannaBe TDPRI Member

E41E9E8F-DC71-4B9C-953F-E28445BE5C06.jpeg Good morning, and thanks in advance for any help, or advice, that’s offered.
    I was a Strat only guy up until I got my first Tele. I fell hard for them immediately. I sold the Bullet in my avatar with the plan of buying a better model. Months went by and I couldn’t find one like I want in my purse range. So, I figured, what the heck...I’ll just build one myself. I’m very comfortable working on Strats and I figured it wouldn’t be too hard.
    I was given a BSB Affinity Tele body by a friend and ordered the parts off EBay and Reverb. Ok, here’s the meat of the thread. I sanded the Kmise neck to get it to fit the pocket I’ve already been chastised for messing up the finish with the amount of sanding I did. I will work on that in the future. Right now I think the neck is too thick for the Affinity body. It sure looks like it’s sitting too high in the pocket. Am I right about that? If so, what should I do? Get another body, or look for another neck?
    P.S. - The neck is just sitting in the pocket. I haven’t screwed It down yet.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2020
  2. Steve Holt

Steve Holt Tele-Afflicted

From the picture that looks way too thick. What's the total thickness of the neck measure in the center at the heel? Should be 1"

Then check the body cavity depth. That should be 5/8" deep. Post your numbers when you have them and someone will give you some ideas. If they're pretty far off, you can fix it with the right tools, but then you're creating a body and neck that may only work with each other and all other bodies and necks will be wrong.

JurnyWannaBe likes this.
  3. JurnyWannaBe

Thanks for the quick response. I won’t be able to get those measurements until Monday. All the parts are at my office.

4. SuprHtr

SuprHtr Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I just measured the neck and pocket on my Squier Affinity and can confirm a 1" thick neck and a 5/8" deep pocket. Total body thickness on Affinities is 1.5", so there's a little less meat where the neck attaches than with a standard Tele body. Judging by your photo, the neck pocket looks different from my Affinity.
    Affinity neck pocket.JPG

JurnyWannaBe likes this.
  5. JurnyWannaBe

Thanks for the reply and pic. Your guitar has a pickguard and mine doesn’t. Other than that they look pretty close to the same. I dunno...maybe I’m seeing boogers that aren’t there.

6. JurnyWannaBe

1610C9D8-DA5F-4F01-AD09-FB3CD671B20A.jpeg Here’s a pic that’s a little more level side view. I used a straight piece of wood to just get a guesstimate on clearance. It’s on the saddles at one end and the nut on the other.

7. SuprHtr

SuprHtr Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

The vertical dimensions look similar, but the pocket shape is definitely different:
    E41E9E8F-DC71-4B9C-953F-E28445BE5C06.jpeg

It's hard to figure out how a body/neck depth mismatch like this can occur. I look forward to seeing what your measurements turn out to be.

JurnyWannaBe likes this.
  8. JurnyWannaBe

Thanks and good eye :) It looks like mine is sitting a tad further back in the pocket. Would my neck having 22 frets be a factor?

9. JurnyWannaBe

I got to measure it yesterday. The pocket is 5/8” and the neck is 1”, just like they’re supposed to be. The corners aren’t mating up quite right. The neck is more squared and the body is somewhat rounded. I’m gonna try and sand them a tad.

Telecentric likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.