1st gig with the Katana 50

Discussion in 'Amp Owners Clubs' started by T Prior, Jun 6, 2021.

1. Tarkus60

Tarkus60 Tele-Meister

I had one....the tone central software is pretty amazing. I had to have help with it, from a younger musician.

nickmsmith, Laxy picker and T Prior like this.
  2. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

Measuring small ohmage speakers is tricky. But it could be fried. You can usually hear that as a scrape.

T Prior likes this.
  3. T Prior

T Prior Poster Extraordinaire

Yes, true, it's tricky , as its not a perfect science . Its more of an indicator.

I still think its odd that the only speaker that measures weird is he Katana stock speaker, the one that "farts" . Measures 4.8 ohms for a 4 ohm speaker . This may be an indication of degrading performance. Each of my other sittin around speakers , be they Celestion or Emmi's measure within the known or rather acceptable ranges.

Doesn't matter, the stock speaker is OUT.

The acceptable science is pretty bizarre, they say if you place a 2 ohm speaker on a 4 ohm solid state output, you can fry the drivers. But yet the acceptable range for a stock 4 ohm speaker is 2 to 4 ohms ! Do as they as they say " Trust the Science " LOL :)

4. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

Yes - but impedance is not the same as resistance . The first is based off a sine wave sweeping through 360 degrees and the other is a direct one-way current measurement.

Impedance also varies by frequency so it's nominal impedance. You can see from this curve of a Greenback what happens ,- go outside it's best range of 80-6000 hz it develops a lot of resistance. Hence using it as either bass or tweeter will melt it. Impedance in ohms /= DC r or direct current resistance

Figure1_Test Bench Celestion G12H.jpg

Blrfl likes this.
  5. Grizzly59

Grizzly59 TDPRI Member

I have a katana ii 50. There is built in eq accessible from the tone studio software, graphic and parametric. The previous owner could’ve set something using tone studio. I would look up the owners manual for the version of the amp that you have, find out how to do a master reset and put the amp back to original factory settings.

you could then get tone studio going on your own and play around with that, put in your own EQ settings and see if that would help you out. I have tone studio on a laptop that I plug into the back of the amp using a usb printer cable and it works as advertised.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2021
    StevesBoogie, Laxy picker and beagle like this.
  6. T Prior

YEP !! Thx for that but I have reset the AMP back to factory. I have Tone Studio available as well. I also have the latest and greatest manual for the K50 MK II. But thx !

The funny thing is the AMP Firmware is the latest for the K 50 MK II, but each time I connect to Tone Studio it says I need to upgrade the Firmware to the latest version. .LOL after half dozen upgrades , to the exact same same firmware, I just moved on. Apparently this is very common with K 50 MK II owners, Mr Google is filled with comments about this.

Doesn't matter, I use a dual foot switch and have 4 programmed presets , only available with the dual switch.

Presets or not, Tone Studio or not, the KNOB on the amp is still the FULL BASS control, the original speaker can't handle the low end at the full setting, the replacement speaker handles it just fine. remember, this is a USED amp. If it was NEW it would have already been returned !

All is well

t

7. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Tele-Meister

I love my Kat 50 too. Have never really desired another amp since I got it. I play entirely at low volumes, or if I gig electric, I run it directly into the mixer.

8. Daddydex

Daddydex Friend of Leo's

My limited gigging experience with my Katana was the same as yours, T. I have only gigged with it a couple of time and only outdoors. I figured I just hadn't dialed it in yet. Mine won't be leaving the house much but it's good know there is a solution in any case. It's a great amp.

Dan

T Prior likes this.
  9. DeepDangler

DeepDangler Tele-Holic

Try rolling back your volume on the guitar a little. You might be overdriving the clean channel if your pickups are loud. Also crank the mids to 10 and start with bass on 0 and raise slowly. It should give you more perceived volume without causing things to potentially fart out.

10. T Prior

Well thx --- but I think I have been clear . The speaker is farting out compared to OTHER speakers with the exact same settings.

And I don't want the mids at 10 ! LOL ! I want the mids LOW and the BASS response up a bit, I want an amp and a speaker that can handle it. Otherwise I'll just bring another amp and be done with it , like I have for the last 40 + years !

IF we have not read the comments above, I have already replaced the speaker with a much more efficient / power handling speaker . It doesn't fart out anymore ~!

In perspective this is a $250 amp NEW , The tube set for my Dr Z Maz 38 costs $125, half the cost of the Katana just for the tubes !

The amp will be fine for its suited purpose, which is NOT Outdoor Large stage shows with the 5 piece band. Its purpose is small footprint duo gigs, easy in, easy out. Low to moderate levels. If it can't handle THAT then its pretty much useless for me ! LOL :)

Thanks for all the nice reply' s

DeepDangler likes this.
  11. DeepDangler

DeepDangler Tele-Holic

Glad it’s working out! I bring up the mids thing because I’ve gigged with 5 and 10 watt tube amps in the past and was able to get them to punch above their weight this way. I’ve never gigged a Katana 50 but I do remember they’re not super loud for the wattage.

12. Cosmic Cowboy

Cosmic Cowboy Tele-Holic

I obviously was not at your gig, and have never played a Katana. But my experience does show me that many (and I mean most) guitarists play with WAY WAY too much low end.

Its a function of guys who get a tone they like playing solo at home, and then try and crank those settings to fit a live mix.

I was at a gig...a free concert for the City of Durango last weekend...Memorial Saturday. There was 6 other bands. Of the six other bands I think 5 of the guitarists had their amps dialed with too much low end. There was no time to soundcheck between sets, so the first song served as each bands soundcheck.

The soundman (who did a great job btw) just kept murmuring about guitarists with the too much low end. The 'headliner' played through two AC30's and his amps were right.

13. T Prior

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ??? Interesting response

well I' ll respond and try to be kind as I appreciate your response.

I do not play with a lot of bottom end, but when I play off the front pup I don't want the amp to break up. I want a BLUESY tone. I don't want to adjust an amp because the speaker can't handle a bit of bottom end.

Please don't lump me in with other players or other bands that you have never heard. Like you said , you were not at my gig and you have never played thru a Katana .

I don't know how many more times I can say that the amp is working just fine now and the INEXPENSIVE speaker in the Katana has been replaced with a robust Eminence. Its a $250 AMP brand new. The speaker in it now is probably $125 or more, on its own .

I own an arsenal of amps which are used for various outings . Different amps for different outings. If I dial in tones I like at home, the amps better deliver that tone on a gig or its GONE.

Otherwise we will be searching for GIG tone "all gig long". We will be trying to adjust our playing style to an amp that can't deliver the goods.

By the way , modeling amps have PRESETS, we write them at home. What do we do, write NEW Presets on the gig ? Each gig ? Each room, each stage ? Now that would be fun.... NOT.

Trying to be kind here, a Sound Mans job is to take the stage sound and bring it out front to the audience. His job is NOT to make any comments about guitar tones. If I had a nickel for Sound guys who totally destroyed our stage presentation over the last 3 or 4 decades I would be a rich guy. There are just way too many people who think they are excellent sound guys or gals, and they are not. They want to adjust the MAINS mix to THEIR personal preference. Thats not thier job. Its not thier show but many times they want it to be. They probably want to be IN THE BAND. The title "SOUND MAN" does not make them professional. Ok enough said on them as I have also been on countless stages with top shelf sound folks and crews. They don't assume , they ask about sound, levels and tones, then work from there. They wait until we are done setting our stage sound, THEN they move forward.

I don't pretend to know more than anyone else, what other people do is not my call , but what I DO is my call. An amp is a tool. It can either perform or it can't. It doesn't matter if its a 5 watt amp or a 100 watt Marshall Plexi. It needs to do what is expected of it.

Do we drive 45 in a 70 MPH zone on the highway because our cars can't quite keep up with 70 mph traffic comfortably or safely ?

14. DougM

DougM Poster Extraordinaire

You can save any of the sneaky amps in your user presets, and some of them ARE Fender amp models

15. Beachbum

Beachbum Friend of Leo's

Hi Fi buffs will tell you that when you put together a home music system at least 40% of your total investment should go toward speakers. Using that formula even an amp that costs as little as $250 needs at least a $100 speaker to do it justice. The problem of course is that guitar amps in that +- price range don't come with $100 speakers. What they do come with is just enough speaker to get you by until you find a replacement. Glad to hear you found yours and enjoy your Katana. Great amps.

[​IMG]

Laxy picker, T Prior and PhredE like this.
  16. 39martind18

39martind18 Friend of Leo's

If you really want to go light, check out a Jensen Tornado neo. A 12" 100w in 4 or 8 ohm should take 4-5 lb OFF the weight of the amp, and, IME, they nail the Fender clean sound. I can't speak to high gain/ distorted sounds, as I play clean 95% of the time. YMMV

Laxy picker likes this.
  17. beagle

beagle Friend of Leo's

Yawn...

18. DougM

DougM Poster Extraordinaire

Don't like being corrected when you're wrong? Too bad! Grow up!

19. Grizzly59

Grizzly59 TDPRI Member

As I remember it, there are different versions of the amp firmware, and the tone studio software. All MkII stuff is different than the original Katana (Mark I). If the amp is a MkII you need the MkII tone studio. If you use the original tone studio with a MkII amp, original tone studio gets confused as it doesn't see the latest version of the MkI firmware because it's talking to a MkII with the latest version of MkII firmware.

20. Laxy picker

Laxy picker TDPRI Member

On another note if you have a android phone or tablet there is app for the amp called Katana librarian. Then can tweak your settings on the fly at sound check in the room your playing in. It's a must have IMHO for the person who gigs with a kat. Its on Google play store. For parametric eq,adjustments on delays ect it is handy as all hell T.

aging_rocker likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.