1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

1st Bass, on a budget

Discussion in 'The BASS Place' started by tacomamc, Mar 23, 2012.

1. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

Squier CV Basses are every bit as good as the guitars. I have a CVC and a CV Jazz Bass and both are very nice instruments. In fact the basses just might be the all stars of the entire CV line.

You can get closed to $300 ($322) on a new one if you wait until GC or MF offers one of their frequent 15% discounts. Used you would probably be looking at around $250 or so median price. I got by CV Jazz last fall for $250 used with a case.

He could use a Cube guitar amp with the bass as long as he keeps the volume down but guitar amps are not really voiced for a bass nor do they have bass speakers in them.

Roland makes Cube Bass Amps and I would suggest going that way if he wants a Roland. You might look at the GK MB Combo amps as a slightly lower cost alternative but in either case he'd be getting a first class small combo amp with great sound.

I own a CV Jazz Bass and a GK MB112 Combo and I've played through Cube Bass Amps before as well. Good stuff very reasonably priced. Look used if you can find. They're dependable enough to trust.

2. ThreePlyGuy

ThreePlyGuy Friend of Leo's

Good suggestions as always here, you can't go wrong with P or J IMHO and the MIMs and Squiers are at the price point. Loads of used ones available all the time, enjoy the search.

3. plymman

plymman Tele-Meister

I've played bass for 20 odd years and had dozens of basses including MIA, MIM, CV etc...

I'd recommended the Squier VM Jaguar bass, it's the one I use all the time now. It has a nice thin jazz type neck perfect for a starter and has both P/J pickups so you get the best of both. It's really versatile and plays like a dream. I sold my other basses when I got my Jag, I just wish it was about 20 odd years ago....

4. robert spencer

robert spencer Tele-Holic

5. Thomme

Thomme TDPRI Member

Now, this is a little tricky, but being a bassist from the Midwest, I know it's possible.

I've found that the early 90's/Late 80's MIK Squiers tend to offer awesome "bang for the buck." Since they're not yet on the "vintage" pedestal and wear the "Squier" logo, the basses tend to sell for less than $200. I've rarely found one of that vintage I didn't like. In fact, a shop in Bolingbrook is currently touting a vintage cream J-bass for $150 that I'm tempted to pick up.

Having said that: There are also "Squier II's" that I don't hold in the same regard, but for some reason sell for about the same price/higher in this area. Squier II P-basses generally sport a nice neck, plywood body, crumby electrics and the tuners are hit or miss, so, watch out for those if you go the "Used Squier" route.

Just my few cents.

6. tacomamc

tacomamc Tele-Afflicted

Great help here from you all, and I truely appreciate it. There's a classic vibe here locally for $190 in natural. The one preference my friend has named is a natural finish vice Colorado.

7. Thomme

Thomme TDPRI Member

Just a heads up, if you're in the Chicago Suburbs, Modern Music on Ogden and Yackley has a sunburst Squier Jazz CV for $199.99, might want to have him check it out if he's around the Lisle area.

8. tacomamc

tacomamc Tele-Afflicted

Thanks so much for your input everyone. I have assembled a couple strategy and teles... so, I was thinking I might assemble a bass for my friend. Initial thoughts are to get an allparts (or similar) unfinished body and finish it in oil and wax, hardware and electronics from GFS, and a neck from either allparts or reliable fender on ebay. I haven't priced everything yet, but I think I can do it for $400. I don't mind working for free on aproject for a friend

9. robert spencer

robert spencer Tele-Holic

You can find a lot of loaded bodies on ebay.Just do a search there under Pbass for everything needed. Then a neck & you`re in with a set of strings. I think its a good strategy & one your friend will appreciate more. Take care. Bob

10. sidewinder IV

sidewinder IV TDPRI Member

I too, hail from the midwest, St. Louis area to be specific. I have a CV 50's Precision that is nothing short of fantastic. I play it almost as much as my Fender Precision Plus. I actually have some gear for sale; bass, amps, pedals and such. I play in a Praise & Worship band and have played with and without amps on stage. Running direct to FOH with a Sans Amp VT & a DI or a Sans Amp BDDI gets my vote if he can do without a standard amp or combo at this time. Otherwise, an inexpensive combo should still have some conveniences like RCA inputs, headphone jack, and maybe a built in tuner. If your friend happens to be in this part of the country, feel free to have him contact me.

11. tacomamc

tacomamc Tele-Afflicted

Sidewinder,
    thanks for the offer and input. My friend is located near ft Leavenworth... hes not in prison. I love to hear how great these cv's are... I have a Cv 50s strat body which blew away the 1994 American standard body it replaced. If I could have more than one electric, It'd be the cv60s on discount locally.

12. tacomamc

tacomamc Tele-Afflicted

Closure/ Update

Well, my friend upped the amount and found exactly what he was looking for... natural with a rosewood board. It's a MIM from 2005. I have the serial and asked Fender about the body wood or anything else they can tell us. Is this Ash? He ended paying $400 for it, which is maybe a little high here in VA, but it is EXACTLY what he wants and he got it locally in Ft Leveanworth, and he says if feels perfect to him... so he's pretty happy with it. Sore fingers and all... Thanks again to you all for your help. Here are the required pics:

Attached Files:

13. Rich_S

Rich_S Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

That's one heckuva starter bass. It'll probably last him his entire life.

BTW, you mentioned headphone amps earlier. In addition to several guitar models, Vox makes an Amp Plug for bass, which mimics the venerable Ampeg B15 and SVT. My son has one for his CV Precision (rosewood on uber-cool Sonic Blue). Highly recommended.

14. aunchaki

aunchaki Friend of Leo's

That's beautiful! We're living in a Golden Age of low-cost basses!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.