1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

1st Bass, on a budget

Discussion in 'The BASS Place' started by tacomamc, Mar 23, 2012.

1. tacomamc

tacomamc Tele-Afflicted

I am a guitar player, and general guitar nut. A close friend wants to pick up the bass and wants my help picking one out. He lives in the Midwest, I'm on the east coast, but will be traveling there to see him in July, so I need some help getting smart on bass guitars. I am familiar with buying and selling on CL. His budget will be $300. My plan is to start at a guitar center for him to play different models/ makes/ price brackets and then proceed from there to the used market. If it were for a regular guitar, I'd recomment the classic vibe squiers... are their bass models as good as their six string counterparts? What do you recommend?

Also gonna need an amp... thinking a Roland cube... can he use a guitar cube for his bass?

2. markomatter

markomatter TDPRI Member

What style of music does he want to play?

3. Stratburst

Stratburst Friend of Leo's

+1 on what style he wants to play, his bass heroes, etc.

The Classic Vibe Squiers basses are really good. As far as amps go, I wouldn't run a bass through a guitar amp because they're not built to take those frequencies. The Roland Bass Cube is a good low-cost amp for bass; my wife uses a 30 for club gigs. She splits the signal with a Sansamp Bass Driver DI, the XLR goes to the PA while the Bass Cube 30 is her monitor.

4. mbennettbrown

mbennettbrown TDPRI Member

My dad insisted I get a bass I would keep for my first. I still have my American Standard '83 P Bass. Granted it cost $420 back then - but you can't go wrong with a Fender P.

5. Eric71

Eric71 TDPRI Member

Without knowing the full story, i'll go ahead and recommend a p bass and an Acoustic B20 amp. I think a p bass is a safe general option for a new player. Classic vibe basses are supposed to quite excellent.

6. Tim Armstrong

Tim Armstrong Super Moderator Ad Free Member

This strikes me as being the best approach from a bang-for-the-buck aspect. Good enough to not get in the way of playing and sounding good, but still quite cheap. I'll also say that the SX P-copies from Rondo punch above their weight.

Tim

7. twintwelve

twintwelve Tele-Afflicted

The Squier Vintage Modified Precision and Jazz basses have serious bang for the buck-and excellent Duncan Designed pickups. I got my VM J-Bass in clean used shape for $200 last September, and it is a very impressive instrument----new they are between $250 and $300.
    Carvin Micro Bass series amps provide serious bang for under $400.

8. tacomamc

tacomamc Tele-Afflicted

Great input, thanks! I don't think he has a style in mind or any bass hero's... but he does like.most music, minus modern hard core metal. I think his ultimate goal is to play at church, but he has never held a guitar of any sort, that I know of. I may recomment some sort of.plug in headphone amp (like Vox has for guitars) for him to get started, while he saves for a bass he can run direct out into the church pa system.

9. bingy

bingy Friend of Leo's

Yes... a Squier P Bass of some sort (used) is the way I would go.
    A band mate has a Squier P that he got used for $100.00.
    It sounds and plays better than my '62 Fender Precision.

10. daveIT

daveIT Tele-Holic

Is the $300 budget for bass & amp or just guitar? Sounds like you have a good plan...I read a ton of forum posts and decided I wanted a Precision or Jazz. I went to some local shops and tried them out through different amps, had someone who could actually play bass demo them while I stood back and listened.

I picked up a like new MIM P off craigslist for $350. You can probably find one with a little more wear/mojo for less. It did need a setup, but everything should have one of those. I'd recommend one of those or a CV Fender-wise. I loooove my CV 60s Strat. I had to look through a couple, but found a great one. Once you take him out he might decide he likes an Ibanez or whatever...CL has a crapton of used bases here in Colorado Springs/Denver...always some great deals.

For amps, I decided to do it a little at a time. I picked up a Gallien-Krueger MB200. RMCAudio has them for $199 shipped ($259 at Sweetwater)

I figured I'd get a decent amp that I could play through headphones until I can gather some more money for the speakers. I can also record out to my computer which is nice. My plan is to buy a couple 8-ohm cabs (the amp runs 200W @ 4ohms) one at a time. Having a head is more flexible IMO as you can use different cabs...the GK is small enough to take to the store/someones house to demo their cabs.

Good luck to you and your friend on your gear hunt...wish I had someone that would have helped me out way back when I was buying my first guitar/amp...haha

11. tacomamc

tacomamc Tele-Afflicted

Yeah, me too! But then, that's what forced my education into these matters. I'm actually really stoker to be able to help him get started.. it'd be nice if we were close enough geographically to jam..someday.

12. umasstele

umasstele Tele-Afflicted

I'd definitely check out the classic vibe squiers

13. tacomamc

tacomamc Tele-Afflicted

Well, it seems there' s better deals to be had here in Virginia than in the Midwest, so I may buy it here and fly with it in July. I prefer a fat neck and with my friend being bigger than me I thiuht he might prefer the same. From a players perspective, how are the precision basses different from the jazz basses in terms of feel and tone? Is it like comparing a strat to a tele?
    Granted, playing each will show me but until I can I would like your impressions.
    also, the budget now is approaching $400 just for the bass, so we'd re now getting into MIM standard territory or maybe G&L tribute. Any thoughts you have will continue to help me immensely.

14. caferacer

caferacer Tele-Afflicted

for $300 you can find a nice used MIM Jazz bass

15. Northerntele

Northerntele Tele-Holic

I'd be on the hunt for a used mim precision bass myself. It'll last just about forever. Also keep an eye out for the music man SUB series, they sometimes show up in that price range used and that works out to some serious bang for your buck.

16. Rod Parsons

Rod Parsons Friend of Leo's

P-bass= fairly hefty neck..... Jazz bass= slim neck... Squier Classic Vibe P bass has a medium feeling neck, somewhere between the P and the J. I like it on mine. New about $350.00....... They are fiesta red..... Up until about a year ago they were baby blue... Get a used one and chose your fav color at less $$. Rated 4.5 out of 5. in most polls that I have read. And, yes, Virginia has an enormous selection of guitars and basses, etc. I suggest you go out to Guitar Center and other stores and play a few. Then buy used on the internet. Just my opinion, of course. And good luck.

17. bingy

bingy Friend of Leo's

jazz bass is configured for a brighter tone.

18. Cadfael

Cadfael Tele-Meister

Belongs to the CUBE ...
    There are dozens of different CUBEs ...

I have a MicroCUBE BASS RX, a CUBE BASS 100 and for guitars a CUBE-30x.
    I have tried the CUBE-30x with bass and it works very well! The JC modeling as well as the Black Panel modeling (sounding like the 1960s Fender amps).

If you live in a normal house / flat, the 30x is loud enough and strong enough for bass input/output. I had no fear of ruining the speaker.
    But the 30x is no bass amp! Sounds like Ampeg amps are not possible with it! The low end is missing ...

THE BASS:
    I love the Squier basses (Standard, VM and CV). He should try ...

CU
    Andreas

19. SamClemons

SamClemons Poster Extraordinaire

I have the Bass Cube 100, plenty loud for most uses, wide range of tone. Pretty expensive unless you luck on a deal. Peaveys are usually good bang for buck in used territory.

20. caferacer

caferacer Tele-Afflicted

as far as small practice amps go I like my Fender Bassman 25 combo
    you can find them used for $100, one 10" speaker, headphone jack, stereo RCA input, all make it a nice piece to practice with

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.