1997 Mexican strat ?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by adjason, Sep 29, 2012.

1. adjason

adjason Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I have what I think is a 1997 Mexican standard strat. The neck serial number starts with MN7. I finally pulled the pickguard tonight and I noticed that it has those small 500 k pots and that box like selector switch that I have seen on squires. Did Mexican Fenders ever come with those types of small pots and that kind of switch? Makes me wonder because my 1995 has the regular looking pots and switch. I noticed that the word fender is all black on the headstock too whereas it is silver outlined in black on my 1995. Does this sound right?

2. Jack FFR1846

Jack FFR1846 Tele-Afflicted

You have a "Traditional Strat" model. It is a MIM and isn't a Squier. But it's got pretty much Squier hardware. Prior to calling the guitar model a Fender Traditional Strat, it was a Squier Traditional Strat. The necks are usually awesome on these guitars. Body is poplar. There was one MIM model below this called a Squier Series and had those words on the ball of the headstock. People have been known to sand that off to try to escape the Squier name (and $50 resale value). You can send an email to consumerrelations@fender.com and they'll send you an info sheet on your exact guitar. Most of that history I just gave you was from the info sheet on my 97 traditional.

3. adjason

cool thanks- so maybe worth about $120 or so rather than the $200 I see Mexican standards go for?

4. JayFreddy

JayFreddy Poster Extraordinaire

Where you finding $200 MIM Standards? :rolleyes:

I think the 90's mims are worth 175 -250. The 2000's are worth 200-325, with the newer ones worth more than the earlier ones.

5. alnicopu

alnicopu Friend of Leo's

Everywhere except a music store. I've never paid more than 200.00. The Ice Blue Metallic strat in my picture and its matching tele, both 2004 models, were 200.00 each. I sold them as a pair for 450.00.

6. adjason

Thanks for all of the advice. I'm thinking of selling it and thinking it should be priced between the squire and the standard. It was all I could do to sell a 2003 blue agave strat in great condition for $200-it took about a week on craigslist recently.

7. alnicopu

alnicopu Friend of Leo's

Same with my matching pair. Took me about 3 weeks to sell mine and I threw in a couple of old cases to get that. With as many strats Fender makes, it still amazes me an Am. Std. can even be listed at 700 - 800. There is a silver one on Atlanta CL for 725.00 that the guy has been relisting for about 6 months. Its seems as though the color makes a huge difference. Black and silver seem to be the least desirable on the used market

8. Jack FFR1846

Jack FFR1846 Tele-Afflicted

Price to sell: I sold mine for $180. Look carefully at your local craigslist. Prices go up and down. They happen to be up in Boston and so I just listed one of my strats. When I buy a Mexican std strat, I pay $200. Have bought at least a dozen for that. I know they had a Squier Line at Guitar Center Nashua a few months ago in excellent condition for $149 (should have bought it). I would list it for $250 and let the lowballers get you down to $175 or if you're comfortable with less, maybe $150.

By comparison, I've never paid more than $50 for a Squier Affinity. I bought one at Guitar Center for $39. I buy them less often because the fretwork is so horrible and I level the frets on every guitar I buy.....but I've had maybe half a dozen of them.

9. dsutton24

dsutton24 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I just bought one for $150.00 including a nice case. I agree with the idea of starting it at $200.00 and letting nature take its course. They are usually diamonds in the rough, and make great donors for projects.

10. Comanche

Comanche TDPRI Member

I got this off of Craigslist for $175. I think its a 96/97 MiM Strat.
    [​IMG]

11. adjason

Thanks guys- I sold it for $120 and even included an old link to this telecaster forum from a couple of years ago that talked all about the series (of course I searched after I posted so sorry). Of course even after doing that-and bieng very truthful in the posting- the buyer starts to tell me that it doesn't look like a mexican standard.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.