1997 52RI value

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by znanjeiimanje, Dec 8, 2019.

1. znanjeiimanje

znanjeiimanje TDPRI Member

I've seen an ad that a guy is selling a 1997 52RI in quite quite condition (has some marks on the neck, but that's about it) for around $ 1,500, though he seemed like he'd be willing to drop it by 100$. It comes with a black classic case (i guess not original) and one of the string ferrules on the back of the body has been replaced for a black one.

The good thing is that it has a C profile neck, which I prefer as I ain't a big fan of the baseball bat.

Does the price sound reasonable for it?

2. Joe M

Joe M Super Moderator Staff Member

Admin Post
    Don’t know where you’re located, but a guy has been trying to sell a mint condition 52 RI locally for at least the last month for $1000 with still no takers. About the same age as the one you’re looking at. $1500 is way too much as far as I’m concerned.

AxemanVR likes this.
  3. Greggorios

Greggorios Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

It sounds a tad high to me. Just go to Reverb and see what similar guitars are going for. Remember a brand new one, (American Original 50s) is only 1850.00 USD. Go play it and if it "speaks to you" go for it. I'd look to get it for around 1200.00 but $100 give or take is meaningless if it's the guitar you really like.

A heartfelt suggestion...be careful about buying used guitars sight unseen. Go play 'em.

Piggy Stu likes this.
  4. Kitarkus

Kitarkus Tele-Meister

I would say $1200 is fair, however, I see them going for $1K+/- routinely. For one that you can feel/touch locally and with the neck that you prefer....$1200 is not too high imo. I paid $1000 for my 2012 '52 AVRI off Craigslist in minty condition and was quite pleased about it.

Greggorios likes this.
  5. znanjeiimanje

znanjeiimanje TDPRI Member

Thank you all very much. I do live in Mexico and the prices are a bit higher than in the US, but for that amount it is worth flying to the States and bringing it with me.

6. hdvades

hdvades Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

You might be able so save some bucks by buying a '52AVRI online from reverb or ebay and paying to having it shipped.As long as there is a return option you have nothing to lose except return shipping costs. At first I was under the impression it was a local sale which justified a slightly higher price. I can tell you if you don't want a fat "U" shaped neck...don't worry...AVRI '52's are like a standard "C" Fender neck.

7. AxemanVR

AxemanVR Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

`
    $900 sounds more right to me (the non original case and black string ferrule kind of turns me off).

At $1400 I'd have to see it in person before shelling over that much for it - and it had better be a "must have" kind of thing at that!

Good Luck...

`

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.