1996 MIK Squier P-Bass tuning machines

cottontails1959

Tele-Meister
Hi All - I picked up a 1996 MIK Squier P-Bass ... deep/dark red, gold spaghetti logo, VN serial number. The pick-up sounds nice and strong. Needs new strings and a set up ... and an upgraded input jack.

I'd like to replace the tuning machines ... looks like the Hipshot HB7 are sized correctly. Any feedback on correct replacements is appreciate.

Cheers, Peter

erratick

Tele-Holic
I don't generally replace tuners unless they are broken. Especially on something like a MIK Squier. Unless the tuners are slipping or don't work, I wouldn't bother. However the HB7 have a PDF on the site:

You can print at scale and line up or just use the measurements your caliper. If you pull a tuner off you can get exact measurements. It's hard to know for sure without that exact bass. Make sure you measure screw pattern (less important as you can fill screws) and the shaft dimensions especially diameter. Reaming out the holes is fine on a bass like that, but you want to know if you have to before you buy.

Input jack is cheap and cheerful- that I might replace if it is struggling.

cottontails1959

Tele-Meister
I don't generally replace tuners unless they are broken. Especially on something like a MIK Squier. Unless the tuners are slipping or don't work, I wouldn't bother. However the HB7 have a PDF on the site:

You can print at scale and line up or just use the measurements your caliper. If you pull a tuner off you can get exact measurements. It's hard to know for sure without that exact bass. Make sure you measure screw pattern (less important as you can fill screws) and the shaft dimensions especially diameter. Reaming out the holes is fine on a bass like that, but you want to know if you have to before you buy.

Input jack is cheap and cheerful- that I might replace if it is struggling.
Hey Ya, thanks for the advice - and I got the same from the shop that did a set-up on it for me. I did have them put in a new Pure-Tone input jack ... and a set of Stringjoy strings. Play great. Cheers, Peter