1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

1996 Lonestar Strat... Potential purchase

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by goddardo, Oct 2, 2020.

1. goddardo

goddardo Tele-Meister

So I've got my eye on this rather play worn but tasty looking Lonestar Strat. It'll cost me £650. Just looking for comments and opinions from other Lonestar owners. Only issues are missing Tone knob and back plate. Cheers guys
    IMG_20201002_191907.jpg
    IMG_20201002_192000.jpg
    IMG_20201002_192913.jpg
    IMG_20201002_192849.jpg

41144 likes this.
  2. zimbo

zimbo Friend of Leo's

Had one. Hard to play and way too much hum from from the single coils.

3. 41144

41144 Tele-Afflicted

One of my son's has got one, same Teal Green colour too - Monster tone imo.
    The humbucker in the bridge gives it real bite.

His has the SD Pearly Gates (edit: Just checked back on this, apparently it's the Pearly Gates Plus, so a bit more vintage compared to current Pearly Gates production - still a great pickup imo) and two Texas Specials - I believe there are some variations in the pickups they came out the factory with, so you might want to check on that?

Whenever I've used it - no problems with hum(s) from the single-coils; but that sort of problem could be down to just a loose wire etc and not necessarily inherent to the model?

No money to replace the missing bits and a couple of dings on a rapidly approaching 25 year old guitar shouldn't deter you.

But, can you see/try before you buy - always best to and that neck looks a bit 'roughed up' to me, as if it's been played by someone wearing a thumb ring? Also, looks like it at least needs a fret dress if not refret?

Given the above £650 would seem a fair price to me.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2020
    Jakedog likes this.
  4. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I’ve had several of these. I love the mid 90’s American Standards. Incredibly consistent and fun guitars. I agree with Zimbo, the singles are noisy. But I have never really liked Texas Specials in anything. Pickups are easily swapped. I’d buy that. Great price on a really cool color.

41144 likes this.
  5. sluglas

sluglas Tele-Meister

It's the same color as my 93 Mexican standard strat.
    If it has the same neck as mine , get it.
    Play the guitar , if it plays well , feels good and stays in tune.
    Then buy it,
    I never liked strats till I picked up my 93 mexistrat for $100 back in 1999. It is still my number 1 and many pickups have passed through that guitar.

6. NTC

NTC Tele-Meister

I have one (since new) and it is a great guitar. The bridge-middle position doesn't sound stratty, but I dont use it. American std neck is 9.5 in radius, 22 frets, not like the Mexican Strats of the time (well, wrt frets). I love it for the humbucker.

7. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Poster Extraordinaire

Those are great guitars, and I love the looks and sound of them...£650 seems like a good deal...

8. JDRNoPro

JDRNoPro Friend of Leo's

I have a 96 Lonestar Strat - 3TSB/rosewood neck. It's a great guitar and quite versatile. Like the pickups but they need to be set fairly low for best tone. The neck is on the thinner side of "modern C" Fender necks.

I like that color, but think the price is too high for the condition.

edit - just noticed you are in UK, so not sure if that is too high over there.

9. bluescaster72

bluescaster72 Tele-Holic

I had a 96 MIM Sunburst rosewood Lonestar strat by far my favorite out of all the ones I owned. This being american the neck is going to feel different . but I loved mine. I do think with all the dings and wear maybe offer $550 -$600

10. Lonn

Lonn Friend of Leo's

One of my favorite Fender models.

11. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Tele-Afflicted

Cool guitars. I have a '97 sunburst with maple neck. Pearly Gates + and two Texas Specials. Cool thing...in the second position the humbucker is automatically split to single coil.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.