1994 "black label" Squier Stratocaster

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by teleplayer99, Jun 16, 2021.

1. teleplayer99

teleplayer99 Tele-Holic

Found this one. Did lots of research. Info is somewhat iffy. The story goes the first Mexican plant burned and some of these got MIA necks and bodies.

Starting life as Ivory has aged to a light yellow with unexplained brown around the edges. The neck is consistent with MIA necks of the period with a deep C shape. Frets are vintage size and show no wear or sharp ages.

Fret board is dark rosewood with reddish streaks. Just had time to string it yesterday. No buzzes or dead spots with a nice low action from the hand filling C shape neck. Replaced pots with CTS and new 5-way switch.

It sounds like a Stratocaster. No surprise except the magnetic pups will drive my 5 watt amp into OD, cleans up nicely, and the out-phase-position sound good.

Came shipped to me in non-original hard shell case. The case has no documentation but has whammy bar with yellowed tip, and a spring and screw.

Even the nut is cut right and hardware is heavy chrome.

No claim made that a Squier is a collector's item. Do claim this is a solid player with a sketchy history.

It is going to be listed on forum classified after I see if there is anyone interested.

Electric Warrior likes this.
  2. Michael A.

Michael A. Tele-Afflicted

Are you describing this type of Strat? If so, it is a Fender Squier Series, the lowest spec model offered in the Fender catalog, but not a Squier. These are essentially MIM Standards, but with some downgrades to reduce the price. Tuners are "trap" type with stamped covers. Single ply pick guard with the decal underneath. Small trem block. Small pots and cheap 5-way originally. 21 fret neck, unlike 22 fret MIA Strat. Later models may have had 3-ply guard and no Squier Series decal on the head stock. Mine below is a 1995.

100_0373.JPG 100_0379.JPG 100_0378.JPG guitpix 004.JPG controls.jpg

3. teleplayer99

teleplayer99 Tele-Holic

That's the one.!!! Mine is a 1994 ivory that has yellowed, but no evident of play. Gonna shied with stew macs paint, Pro I pups and Wilkerson tuners to avoid drilling.

Love the black!!!
    But while I like vintage frets, mine have 90 degree angles. That will not do. I am spoiled. Like up round and smooth.

Just a guess, but I think a young person took up the guitar and it wasn't their bag. Yours looks mint too.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2021
  4. Electric Warrior

Electric Warrior Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

I have had a couple of these without the Squier Series logo - the "Traditional Series." One was my first guitar. The necks on both were the highlight. I did not think much of the stock pickups and hardware but they are sturdy, good looking guitars.

5. teleplayer99

teleplayer99 Tele-Holic

After playing it awhile, this one is a keeper. A forum member that likes these guitars said he would not pay more than $200 after hearing than I paid $395 with roadrunner HS case.

I ordered vintage squire tuners and found a deal on Suhr LB 60 pups today. Electronics and new 5 way switch already in.

Methinks it might be a winner. With labor and parts hope to come in for less than $800.

Anthony

6. guitarist232345

guitarist232345 Tele-Meister

Very interesting thread, thanks for this post.

It's nice that they made Squier its own thing, instead of the 'Fender Squier' series stuff, given Squier's substantial history...

Squier has always been decent, but now is really coming into it's own IMO.

7. gip111

gip111 Tele-Meister

A few months ago I bought a '98 Squier Strat that looks like everything you guys have described, full thickness body, small headstock and C neck with the same width as my MIM and sounds just like a Strat. I wonder if this guitar falls in that same category you guys are referring to?

Last edited: Jul 18, 2021
  8. Michael A.

I'm my understanding that the MIM Squier Strats of this period were exactly the same as the Fender black label, other than the head stock decal.

9. gip111

gip111 Tele-Meister

What is the "period"? From what year to what year?

10. Michael A.

I think Fender MIM Squier Series and their offshoot the Contemporary models were from 1993-1998, but that is just from memory, so the equivalent Squier models would be in the same time frame.

gip111 likes this.
  11. teleplayer99

teleplayer99 Tele-Holic

My 1994 "Black Label" that when I wrote Fender with the serial number does not exist just got Hipshot tuners and my brother will have it shielded and LB60 Suhr pups in. Really hope nobody was hurt in the fire. They sure made me a fine guitar.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.