1991 Ibanez EX360 Rebuild

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by EssQae, Jul 19, 2017.

1. EssQae

EssQae TDPRI Member

So, while i acquire all the necessary tools to start my first scratch build, I wanted to get some practice in by rebuilding an old RG I have. A good friend of mine gifted it to me about 3/4 years ago, as I didnt have a guitar at that time.
    [​IMG]
    After doing a little research, I determined it was a '91 EX360 that a previous owner had slapped an EMG SA/SA/81 set into in '92. Along with the pickups came another tone control (as opposed to the original factory 1V/1T setup) and an ugly wiring job. I gutted the body first.
    [​IMG]
    After some inspection, I ran across this..
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    I was aware of the neck repair and it seemed pretty solid. There's some excess glue build up around the truss rod access-cavity and the screws holding the locking nut in place. Any advice on how to clean that up effectively and safely (neck-repair-wise)?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Stripped the body with a heat gun and scraper. It was fairly easy except for the inside horn contours. Scorched the back a little, but no big deal.

Today, i finished off the finish (LOL) on the body, neck, and headstock. The sealer on the body is no joke! I went through 2 1/2 sheets of 60 grit today alone and i still have the sides and back to do.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I dont have anywhere to do this at my apartment so Im workin on this out at my moms in the country. Pics might be spread out but Ill do my best to keep this thread updated. Any advice or suggestions are welcome!

crazydave911 and 3-Chord-Genius like this.
  2. EssQae

EssQae TDPRI Member

Plans are as follows:
    - Keep EMGs and either find a diagram for hardwiring or see about converting them into the new solderless system. Any advice or resources on this subject would be extremely appreciated.

- Medium walnut Watco danish oil & wipe on poly for the body, same for the headstock face. Neck will be natural danish oil. Any suggestions on keeping a clean line on the headstock?

- Replace virtually all hardware. Screws were rusty, Floyd Rose was shot. Looking at the Golden Age replacement on StewMac. Opinions? Better, affordable replacements?

I know I have a lot of questions, but they say the only stupid question is the one not asked right? Thanks in advance!

crazydave911 likes this.
  3. kwcsports

kwcsports TDPRI Member

Looks good so far.

EssQae likes this.
  4. EssQae

EssQae TDPRI Member

5. EssQae

EssQae TDPRI Member

this forum dying down? or just no input on my project? BUMP

6. EssQae

EssQae TDPRI Member

I feel like this is a case of tele-snobbery lol petty. No input or info? Really?

7. 4 Cat Slim

4 Cat Slim Friend of Leo's

This looks like a very interesting project. I haven't chimed in because I have very little experience
    restoring a super strat type guitar. I'm not a Tele snob, if anything, I spend a lot of time (and sometimes,
    too much time) making playable guitars out of old Harmonys and Silvertones and such.
    Best of luck in moving this project along!

crazydave911 and EssQae like this.
  8. EssQae

EssQae TDPRI Member

Got a good bit done today. Finally all the sealer has been sanded off except for the inside of the horns. I think i didnt scrape them as well so Im having a harder times with sanding thru the sealer. Ended up going thru 4 1/2 sheets of 60 grit on the body alone. I also started testing out finish ideas on a basswood dowel i grabbed from HoPo. Sanded my test area starting with 60 grit and up on thru 400 grit. Applied the first coat of medium walnut danish oil with a folded up piece of tshirt then sanded in with 800 grit wet or dry. Let the oil pentrate for about a half hour, applied another coat and sanded in with 800 again. After 15 mins i wiped off the excess and i gotta say Im happy with the color overall. I repeated the same process a few hours later to try and deepen the color a little. It did darken a little but not really noticeably. I also had grabbed a tin of Polyshade black satin a few weeks ago and tried that out as well. Sanded it back with 150 after it dried. And just to see if it would work, I applied a coat of the danish on top using the same process as before. Gotta say it looks pretty dope. Not sure if Im interested in it for the final finish, but we'll see if it even takes. Ill put the clear poly coat on in a few days or whenever I drive all the way out in the country to my moms.
    Here's the EMG set that came in the guitar when I got it. Like I said, SA/SA/81 set from 1992. I think I'm gonna end up going passive for this rebuild, but I'm not sure if I want to keep or sell the EMGS. Hmmmm...decisions, decisions....

Anyway! Hope you guys enjoy the process and I would love any and all opinions and input!

crazydave911 likes this.
  9. EssQae

EssQae TDPRI Member

Zepfan likes this.
  10. italo

italo Tele-Meister

Beautiful !

11. italo

italo Tele-Meister

I would like to see a fixed bridge in there

crazydave911, boredguy6060 and EssQae like this.
  12. EssQae

EssQae TDPRI Member

Im more of a fixed bridge guy too, but that routed Floyd cavity would be too much of a pain to fill and wouldnt look good otherwise unfortunately so Floyd it is!

crazydave911 likes this.
  13. EssQae

EssQae TDPRI Member

crazydave911, LeftFinger and Zepfan like this.
  14. Macrogats

Macrogats Friend of Leo's

Yeah mate. That looks lovely! I'd go for it.

Walnut over black that is. It's giving me ideas on something I'm doing atm. May have to experiment on a piece of scrap.

crazydave911 likes this.
  15. EssQae

EssQae TDPRI Member

Guys i might have really screwed the pooch on this one. I went to remove the tremolo posts using the trick of a small screw placed upside down in the post and tightening til it pulls itself out. Well now i have a screw lodged SIDEWAYS inside my post. I cant get it out, hell it wont even budge.... Have i already finished this project before it really began? Please help

crazydave911 likes this.
  16. Shoved BassVIII

Shoved BassVIII Tele-Holic

A new floyd will have new posts and studs usually. I'm not familiar with what you said you did. I just use the posts to pull the studs with a claw hammer and a block of wood to protect the guitar. works every time.

17. Shoved BassVIII

Shoved BassVIII Tele-Holic

As for the bridge, I'd at least go with a floyd special. that golden age thing looks as bad as or the same as the crappy TRS that you had on that. Ibanez loves to put those things on the lower end stuff and they're pot metal crap.

18. Macrogats

Macrogats Friend of Leo's

^^^^^^^^^^^

This.

19. EssQae

EssQae TDPRI Member

Zepfan likes this.
  20. Higgs F. Boson

Higgs F. Boson Tele-Holic

Subscribed. I've been wanting to do this with an old Ibanez for a while now, so I'm taking notes.

I handwired some EMG's recently on the cheap, so I might be able to help when you get to that part.

EssQae likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.