1990s Mexican Squier top loader telecaster

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by Stuckmorej, Oct 17, 2019.

1. Stuckmorej

Stuckmorej TDPRI Member

Pickups harsh. Converting to vintage saddles. Need warmer pickups and upgraded pots, wiring. Suggestions?

2. preactor

preactor Tele-Holic

I know you have tried lowering the pickups which will take away a lot of the harshness, right? I have had good luck with the regular stock Fender Pots and switches. Are your pots 250K or 500K? 250K will give you a warmer sound. I always put in a 5way Strat switch and do the Bill Lawrence 5way Telecaster circuit. It gives you a fairly decent Strat sound and Strat switches are cheap. The only other thing you need for that is a .01 microfarad capacitor.

3. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Before you get too far. Is this a guitar that plays well and something you want to upgrade? Nothing wrong with a toploader.

A set of Fender OV's are pretty reasonable. A Fender Pat. Pending vintage style bridge and brass saddles won't break the bank.

Not sure what bridge you currently have. Make sure you get something compatible. If you do change.

Pots, caps and switches aren't a lot of money.

How are the tuners? Good tuning stability? Lube the nut. That usually where I start with any tuning discrepancy.

These are things you have to consider. Usually change one thing at a time and assess what change your making.

Maybe just pickups might be all you need or just simply adjusting what you have. Look at the simplest things first.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.