1990's Ampeg Reverberocket?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by TeleBrew, Feb 22, 2018.

1. TeleBrew

TeleBrew Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

There's a 1x12 for sale in good condition, recently retubed, with footswitch, at a Guitar Center near me.

Does anyone have any experience with these amps? Specifically the 1990's ones? I can't find any demos on youtube, surprisingly. I can go try it out, but I am interested in hearing from folks who have insight to share. Thanks!

2. Despres

Despres Tele-Holic

I own one - it is a great amp. The reverb on them is great. I don't hate the overdrive channel but many people do (I usually have the master up high, around 8 or 9 and use the gain to set the volume. With master low/gain high, I can see why people would not like it).

They do not seem very loud for a 50w tube amp. The clean channel is a little darker than a fender twin, with some great clean sounds. I've heard the 90's reissue schematics more closely resemble a twin reverb than a vintage Reverberocket, but I don't know if that is true or not.

There is a guitar input and an accordian input, which always seemed strange to me.

People always ask if it is vintage because of the cool blue tolex.

I think the guy from Kings of Leon uses the 2x12 version, you might find some soundclips looking for that.

TeleBrew likes this.
  3. JD0x0

JD0x0 Poster Extraordinaire

I don't think it's a 90's one, but my friend has one of the 2x12 versions, on my recommendation. I thought it had a REALLY nice Overdrive tone. Very thick and smooth. I guess people could 'hate' that if they're going for a ratty old fender break up.. Reverb is really nice, cleans are very nice as well.
    It's PCB construction, but USA made, if that means anything to you.

It's likely a carry over from the vintage amps. It's the same thing as a 'low' input, on most other amps. Just pads the input signal a bit. My friend likes it because he runs an M13 with the compression-boost cranked way up, so the pad keeps the amp from distorting on the clean channel. Also, could be good with 'hot' or active pickups for the same reason..

TeleBrew likes this.
  4. Il Duce

Il Duce Tele-Holic

Nice amps. I had the 2x12 version and it sounded great both clean and dirty. If I came across one at the right price and had the extra cash I'd definitely get it.

If it's less than $350 and in good condition it's worth taking it for a test drive!

TeleBrew likes this.
  5. TeleBrew

Guitar Center is asking $449, but had it listed as a 2x12. I emailed the store last night and a rep responded that he would correct the ad and ask his manager if there's any wiggle room in the price. I am still waiting to hear back about that.

Anode100 likes this.
  6. Anode100

Anode100 Friend of Leo's

If you end up with this amp, there ought to be pictures...y'know...for science...:D

TeleBrew likes this.
  7. TeleBrew

But of course!

8. D'tar

D'tar Friend of Leo's

A customer of mine has 2x12 in great condition, he's looking to get rid of. :rolleyes: its been on consignment in a shop in the middle of nowhere. I recommended reverb to him a couple of times. Its back in his collection. I'd pick it up in a heartbeat if I was in the market. They do sound great.

TeleBrew likes this.
  9. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Perfectly good amps!

TeleBrew likes this.
  10. Il Duce

Il Duce Tele-Holic

That's a little bit steep, but if the amp is in really nice condition, it "spoke" to you and you could get them down to $400 out the door that would be a fair deal on a nice amp. Imho

TeleBrew likes this.
  11. TeleBrew

My thoughts exactly.

brimo109 and Il Duce like this.
  12. ecoast

ecoast Tele-Holic

agree

-or hold out for a J20

brimo109 likes this.
  13. -Hawk-

-Hawk- Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

You could probably find an original 60's RR for a similar price. I picked mine up for $300 and I know GC usually has a number of older Ampegs listed on their used site. Will likely have to send it to a tech for a re-cap.

brimo109 and asnarski like this.
  14. FMA

FMA Poster Extraordinaire

I had one of the 1-12s for a while and liked it very much. Very nice gigging amp. I didn't use the OD channel and never really like its tone, but the cleans and the verb were both excellent. I sold it to raise money to get a SFDR.

15. gibson11

gibson11 TDPRI Member

I have the Jet ll combo 1 x 12 amp 90's reissue. Fantastic amp with a Peavey scorpion speaker, great reverb.

TeleBrew likes this.
  16. Il Duce

Il Duce Tele-Holic

Great minds think alike! Lol

Looking forward to hearing how everything works out!

TeleBrew likes this.
  17. tlsmack

tlsmack Tele-Afflicted

I remember when these came out. Very nice! the cleans were very warm but not dark, and it had great pick response!! I think about picking one up if I ever have some disposable income, (as if!)

TeleBrew likes this.
  18. Despres

Despres Tele-Holic

Yes, I find the OD to be very useable, although it seems to be a consistent comment on reviews of these amps that it is not usable.

I've used the accordion input to tame down some pedals that seem to have too much boost as well. It is a useful feature but the name still cracks me up.

To the OP: $450 does sound a bit rich but as the others said, if you love it and can get it down to 400 that wouldn't be too bad. All things considered, if it is in good clean shape and you like the sounds, it might be tough to find a better amp for less (with reverb and effects loop).

19. JD0x0

JD0x0 Poster Extraordinaire

I'm convinced there's just an internet crowd that reads things and regurgitates without any real experience. I'd bet the first guy had a bad tube in the overdrive slot when he made that opinion.
    A little more background of our purchase. We were in the middle of tour, out of state, and the amp sounded so good, I was about to buy it, mostly for the drive channel's tone. (I find good cleans are a dime a dozen, and good reverb isn't terribly hard to find, either.) The drive channel is literally what sold me on it. I plugged in a tele off the wall, dialed the mids on the amp up, and the drive channel would just sing. Rich, thick and smooth, I love that for leads. I showed it to the other guitar play, and he was blown away, mostly because it sounded WAY better than his marshall TSL that he had. The cleans on it sounded dull and lifeless, the overdrive a bit fizzy and buzzy. We traded the marshall in and walked out with the Ampeg $15 out of pocket.

Jakedog likes this.
  20. Despres

Despres Tele-Holic

This thread has really made me want to plug that amp in. I haven't used it much for a while because it needs a bit of a tuneup. I should go remind myself how much of a tuneup it needs.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.