199.5 lbs, three times now.

cowboyfan1969

TDPRI Member
I've dropped 25 lbs. since the middle of June by eating sensible, cutting out chocolate bars every time I stop at a convenience store. Wouldn't say I'm depriving myself, as Dairy Queen has seen my face a lot this summer.......

Biggest change is I walk 6 kms every day, usually 12 on the weekend.

I'm back to 185 lbs, roughly the weight I was at 10 years ago, when I was doing residential/construction electrical, before getting an Industrial electrician job, which is less physical/ more lazy....😁

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
I've dropped 25 lbs. since the middle of June by eating sensible, cutting out chocolate bars every time I stop at a convenience store. Wouldn't say I'm depriving myself, as Dairy Queen has seen my face a lot this summer.......

Biggest change is I walk 6 kms every day, usually 12 on the weekend.

I'm back to 185 lbs, roughly the weight I was at 10 years ago, when I was doing residential/construction electrical, before getting an Industrial electrician job, which is less physical/ more lazy....😁
Good for you! I know the lure of the candy bar well! Rocky Road is my downfall. My mouth says no I wouldn't care for one, but my hand reaches for it. Then the mouth consumes it, what a liar! ;)

String Tree

Doctor of Teleocity
I started not a diet, but a change in the way I eat earlier this year. I just quit eating when I'm STARTING to get full. I had cut back quite a lot before anyway, so it wasn't a big deal to just eat a little less. Also started eating Cheerios for breakfast at least two or three times a week. I find eating a boiled egg along with them makes them last pretty much all day. Only eating twice, a day which I have been doing for several years now.

When I retired, I weighed pretty close to 230, then after modifying my daily intake of food, I had managed to stay around 214-215 for several years. During the summer, I got serious about changing the way I eat, and though I'm on no crusade, I've changed the way I look at eating. Kind of drives my wife nuts because I just stop eating when I'm full now. I'd rather the extra calories go in the garbage disposer than on my waist.

I'm probably going to have to get some new duds, without a belt, my cargoes fall clear off me now. I don't know where this will end up, I think probably around 190-195, because the drop in weight is now coming at .5 lbs, instead of whole lbs. I'm getting better at being able to gauge how much I need to put on my plate in order to be out of food at the same time I'm starting to get full.

We are taught to be fat growing up, "eat everything on your plate", "there are people who would LOVE to have that, now you eat it." I kind of hit on this idea from watching old Alex. No matter how much food you give him, he only eats what he wants, then walks away. He's the perfect size and is all muscle. Little Dewey (Alex's dog) will eat until he explodes if you let him. I want to eat like Alex, not like Dewey.
Great news!

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
I'm working from home today. Inspired by this thread, I ate only the whites from 3 hard-boiled eggs for lunch. But the day is still young.
You'll know how it's all going to go if you go back, get and eat the chicken the eggs came out of! ;) I wish you well in your quest for a leaner man.

Bob M

Friend of Leo's
I have always been heavy. In my youth it was an athletic heavy. At 5’10” I played football at 230lbs. I was a running back and could move pretty good. Age and back surgery kicked in and I found myself with a high A1C and a sedentary lifestyle. I started watching carbs. I’m at the gym a couple days a week. I walk as much as I can. A1C is 6.3 (from 10.5) and weight is a steady 200 lbs. I eat much less than I used to. Anyone can change their habits.

Old Deaf Roadie

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
I do enjoy your posts about aging. I have recently discovered I am no spring chicken, and hearing other people's views and experiences takes some of the shock away when it happens to me. My doc is big into the benefits of diet, and by golly, we're having some success with it. I haven't lost weight yet, but I am feeling pretty good these days.

Ricky D.

Doctor of Teleocity
Ricky D.‘s rules for losing weight:

Eat a small breakfast so you are not crazy hungry at lunchtime. Eat lunch on time so you aren’t too hungry. A small lunch to keep the edge off for dinner.

Eat slowly. It takes a few minutes for your body to recognize that it has taken in enough food. You will be surprised at how little you actually need.

Don’t eat when you aren’t hungry.

There’s more, but just doing this got me losing 2-3 lb. a week with no unpleasantness at all.

From 260 lb., I’m now stable at 190 lb. Eliminated BP, diabetes, and cholesterol meds.

So keep after it, TD. A little at a time gets you there.

Gene O.

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
Just in the last few days I had another "enough is enough" moment and decided I had better make some changes. My girlfriend (who is a nurse) always makes comments about guys with big bellies and how unhealthy it is, and I felt like I was starting to head in that direction. So I'm making a conscious effort to cut sugar out as much as possible, if not totally, keep my carb intake at a minimum and keep my protein intake at a good level to maintain muscle mass. I don't want to go full keto because I've done that before and it wasn't sustainable long term. I do feel that it's very important to keep the muscles relatively strong, so I will try to continue a basic level of exercise. Between neuropathy in my feet and losing most of my vision in my right eye from glaucoma, my balance isn't exactly what it used to be. So the last thing I need is to let my muscle strength dwindle.

Also, I'm not going to bother weighing myself. Weight has very little to do with it. At 5'10" I would feel gaunt if I dropped below 200 lbs. I think 215-220 would be ideal. My main gage will be whether I can breath comfortably while tying my shoes. :)

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
Just in the last few days I had another "enough is enough" moment and decided I had better make some changes. My girlfriend (who is a nurse) always makes comments about guys with big bellies and how unhealthy it is, and I felt like I was starting to head in that direction. So I'm making a conscious effort to cut sugar out as much as possible, if not totally, keep my carb intake at a minimum and keep my protein intake at a good level to maintain muscle mass. I don't want to go full keto because I've done that before and it wasn't sustainable long term. I do feel that it's very important to keep the muscles relatively strong, so I will try to continue a basic level of exercise. Between neuropathy in my feet and losing most of my vision in my right eye from glaucoma, my balance isn't exactly what it used to be. So the last thing I need is to let my muscle strength dwindle.

Also, I'm not going to bother weighing myself. Weight has very little to do with it. At 5'10" I would feel gaunt if I dropped below 200 lbs. I think 215-220 would be ideal. My main gage will be whether I can breath comfortably while tying my shoes. :)
I'm very lucky that having an artificial hip, I still have enough mobility to put on my socks and shoes without using any kind of aid. It's become even easier since I've lost some weight. I'm still maintaining, even dipped a little more. I don't think I'm going to lose a lot more weight, but I think I have it dialed into not eating as much as I had been. I can lean over and pick up stuff off the floor so much easier now, I am breathing better, and able to get up and down off the floor a lot more easily which is the most important benefit of my quest for controlling my appetite.

KokoTele

Doctor of Teleocity
Vendor Member
2nd round of covid, just 6 weeks after my last round. Consoling myself mostly with food and getting almost no activity, and I’ve gained almost 10 pounds. I’m really feeling it.

I’m resolved to get back on the wagon next week and not let up until I’ve lost 40 pounds. Enough of this nonsense.

Last edited:

Poster Extraordinaire
I've been doing 18/6 keto since July and lost 40lbs. I was 158 this morning. It's hard to eat enough.

Poster Extraordinaire
I'm working from home today. Inspired by this thread, I ate only the whites from 3 hard-boiled eggs for lunch. But the day is still young.

The yolks are where the nutrients are.

Poster Extraordinaire

5'10/215lbs is obese.

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
2nd round of covid, just 6 weeks after my last round. Consoling myself mostly with food and getting almost no activity, and I’ve gained almost 10 pounds. I’m really feeling it.

I’m resolved to get back on the wagon next week and not let up until I’ve lost 40 pounds. Enough of this nonsense.
One of my brothers-in-law has gained a lot of weight. He's a widower, lives fifty miles from town, and is becoming more reclusive every day. He has fallen twice and not been able to get up. Once it was with a broken back, it's a wonder he did not die! This time I am dedicated to not gaining weight. I weigh every morning, if I've gained a single pound, I have a can of herring, and a very small salad for dinner. Next day, I'm good.

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
Ricky D.‘s rules for losing weight:

Eat a small breakfast so you are not crazy hungry at lunchtime. Eat lunch on time so you aren’t too hungry. A small lunch to keep the edge off for dinner.

Eat slowly. It takes a few minutes for your body to recognize that it has taken in enough food. You will be surprised at how little you actually need.

Don’t eat when you aren’t hungry.

There’s more, but just doing this got me losing 2-3 lb. a week with no unpleasantness at all.

From 260 lb., I’m now stable at 190 lb. Eliminated BP, diabetes, and cholesterol meds.

So keep after it, TD. A little at a time gets you there.
All excellent suggestions. When I start getting the grum bellies I have a small portion of peanuts. I let them have a good chance to hit bottom, pretty soon, I'm no longer hungry. As you say, it takes a little while for the body to recognize it's been fed.

Gene O.

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
5'10/215lbs is obese.
Yes, I know it is... per the chart in the doctor's office. I think it says I should weigh 180 (or less). Of course I'm going to do my best, but I doubt I'll ever get down below 200. We'll see.

Fiesta Red

Poster Extraordinaire
I weigh 190 right now. At 5’11”, I’m not fat….but I ain’t skinny, either.

But I sure feel and look a lot better at 175.

Weight used to just fall off of me. After 50, that hasn’t been the case. Gotta stop stress eating and work snacking.

Last edited:

GGardner

Friend of Leo's
I weigh 190 right now. At 5’11”, I’m not fat….but I ain’t skinny, either.

But I sure feel and look a lot better at 175.

Weight used to just fall off of me. After 50, that hasn’t been the cases. Gotta stop stress eating and work snacking.
I found weight gain to be an unforeseen consequence of working from home for the last few years. I end up walking to the kitchen 5 or 6 times a day to snack, mostly out of boredom. But when I'm in the office, it's just a morning coffee, sensible lunch, and afternoon coffee.