1989 Mesa Boogie Studio .22

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by GaryOsborne, Feb 17, 2014.

1. GaryOsborne

GaryOsborne RIP

Thanks for the recommendation. I really hope a retube is all it takes to get that nice warm dark and full clean tone back. It sounded great a week ago but I'm 99% sure they're the stock tubes so they're over 20 years old lol.

2. wildschwein

wildschwein Tele-Afflicted

You should notice a big difference. Your amp might also benefit from a cap job in the near future.

3. GaryOsborne

GaryOsborne RIP

Yeah it's just a unique situation. Obviously an average 25 year old amp would need a cap job but this one is like "closet classic" condition. It just wasn't played very much. I'm def gonna retube it. I'll have the caps checked too. It's just weird that it sounded great like 2 weeks ago but I have been playing it a lot. I've been through a lot of amps recently and I'm pretty set with this one. As long as the tube up goes good I'm gonna keep it for a long time, but I always say that. Lol.
    I've been GASing over this tweed blues jr at guitar center for a while. I A/B'd it with a deluxe reverb and it sounded waaaaaay better to me. I've got a little dough so I won't have to sell tge Mesa if I pull the trigger on the BJ. I want to try one of thePGS humbolts too. But I'm also having Rob put together an MJT tele for me so I should probably slow down lol.

4. Mesatoneman

Mesatoneman TDPRI Member

Studio 22

Have one of these with the Graphic EQ. Cream tolex. Got it from the original owner locally. Love it. I've had many Mesa's and this amp is one of my favorite Mesa Boogie's. Never had one without the EQ option but I can still get killer tone without EQ engaged. Good Luck.

5. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I have a '98 DC-2. It's the caliber amp that replaced the Studio 22. It was gigged really hard for most of it's life, until it's owner (a dear friend for many years) died of cancer a couple years ago. The amp sat without being played for two years. Then it came to me. I started giggin it immediately, and it sounded amazing. For about a month. Then it started doing this thing where it would start off really cold, thin sterile, and about 1/3 power, and then gradually warm up through the night and be loud full and awesome at the end.

I took it in, as it's 16 years old and everything is stock. It had never been opened. A re-tube and a full cap job later (yeah, it really needed caps) and it's a completely different amp. It even sounds better than when I thought it sounded great. It's outrageous. Some new tubes and a cap job really put it in a whole nuther bracket. Best hundred bucks I ever spent.

6. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I'd look at the caps first and have power tubes installed and biased for at the same time, and the preamp tubes second. But ymmv.

7. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Anything that has been sitting for an extended period without being powered up is going to be more likely in need of a cap job than something that has been used regularly.

8. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Yes. What he said.

9. GaryOsborne

GaryOsborne RIP

There s a certified Mesa guy in m my area. I'll have to see what he'd charge for a cap job. I'm sure I could probably retube myself but I'd rather have I'm do it.

10. GaryOsborne

GaryOsborne RIP

Did I understand correctly? The power tubes affect/power the clean channel on this amp correct? I ask because I'm gonna retube and since I'm only really relying on the clean channel, could I just get by with replacing the 2 power tubes for now? That would be $30+ dollars versus around $75 for a whole kit.

11. gallred

gallred TDPRI Member

If its got 4 EL84's (power tubes) you'll need to change all 4. You may or may not need to change out the 12AX7 preamp tubes. For me it would depend on what's in there now. If you have sweet NOS in there with no issues, leave em. On the other hand if it has MB branded imports......I'd swap em out for something better. And save the MB's as spares.

Great little amp by the way. I bought one direct from the MB plant in the early 90's, kept it a few years and traded up for a Mark IV. I kinda miss that little guy. Was a great little combo.

12. GaryOsborne

GaryOsborne RIP

It literally has the stock MB tubes in it from 1989 lol

13. Bugeyed Earl

Bugeyed Earl Tele-Meister

I re-capped mine and it was a bit of a PITA because the entire board needed to come out to get to the caps. Maybe best left to someone else unless you like a project...

14. GaryOsborne

GaryOsborne RIP

Yeah I talked to dude I bought it from. He said he took it into a certified mesa tech and they said everything was fine. They just had to replace the capacitor that has to do with the foot switch power but everything else looked great. That was like 16 months ago and it's only been played like 10 hours max since then. So I think power tubes it is and go from there.
    Also, is the reverb tube driven? If so I'd like to try a different tube in the reverb driver. It sounds good now, subtle but good. I think It could be better.

15. waparker4

IMO if caps that are 25 years old "look fine" you should still replace them. IMO

16. jguitarman

jguitarman Tele-Afflicted

I think was mentioned in this thread earlier but Mesa Boogies have weak reverb especially if you are used to Fenders' reverb. I had a Nomad years ago and thought something was wrong with the reverb because it was weak. I spoke with a rep at Mesa and he confirmed that their reverb is just made that way.

17. McGlamRock

McGlamRock Friend of Leo's

I have a Mesa F-30 and I would heed waparker4's advice. After 8 years the caps slowly went out, one by one. Twice they started failing at a gig, which sucked becasue that was my only amp! The third one went out at a rehearsal, so when I took it to the shop I told the tech to replace all of the remaining original caps. It sounded great after that and has been fine ever since.

18. GaryOsborne

GaryOsborne RIP

I wouldn't call it weak. It's subtle and I kinda like it. It's not that I like Fender verb more, in just more use to it. I always hated how extreme it would get after like 2 and a half on the knob though. On the Mesa I can crank the verb to 6 or 7 and it's still pretty subtle and very usable. I just wanted to experiment.

As far as the caps go, like I said, I'm gonna start with the power tubes and go from there. Do caps go bad over a long period of time even if the amp wasn't being played? He said he'd turn it on every few months and play a little just to warm it up and make sure it still worked.

19. waparker4

especially if the amp wasn't being played

20. Bugeyed Earl

Bugeyed Earl Tele-Meister

V4 drives the reverb. I haven't tried swapping that one in my amp, I wonder if the effects would be noticeable?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.