1988 '52 Tele RI

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Henry Mars, Jun 13, 2021.

1. Henry Mars

Henry Mars Tele-Afflicted

I have one in in absolute mint condition. Any idea what it is worth in trade in?

2. BobbyMac

BobbyMac Tele-Meister Gold Supporter

You probably won't get anywhere near its real worth if you trade it in on a new purchase. Most dealers/retailers will want to sell your guitar for what you would hope to get for it so, naturally, they'll offer you a lot less. In my opinion, your guitar would sell immediately for $1000, probably more, here on the TDPRI. reverb.com and eBay have fees that will eat into your final take but they both have a huge audience. I would keep it if I were you, as they don't make them like yours these days. Good luck in your quest for something new!

VillainSean likes this.
  3. toomuchfun

toomuchfun Tele-Afflicted

I have one too, and I have an '89 also. I think those years have a slim, but perfect feeling and playing neck. I remember posts saying the custom shop, started in I think 1987, built these when they had idle time but don't know for sure.

Mine is mint too with all the case candy. After I bought it I came across a '68 blonde Tele and the AV52RI sat in the case. Later I got the '89 which has some wear and kept the '88 in the case.

2 years ago I showed it to a young local dealer, he never saw one with a thin neck. He asked me what I'd take for it and I said $2500. He came right back with $2300 and I told him when he gets the extra $200 to let me know. I still have it but would not let it go for less. I don't think there are many mint at 33 years old. And with that neck.

4. Wobbles

Wobbles Tele-Meister

I have a '99. Played it in a working band for 4 years, so it's not anywhere near mint. All the same, it's not going anywhere. I've never even seen one from the eighties. They are only gonna go up in value.

5. mfguitar

mfguitar Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Without seeing it I would say that around 2k is a fair price, but I think you will need to sell it outright, then buy what you like.

6. Crafty Fox

Crafty Fox Tele-Afflicted

I also have an '88. But I have no idea of the value since I won't consider selling.
    I have made a few mods though (I just can't help myself); AM Standard bridge, Electresocket, Greasbucket pots, Handcrafted pickguard, Schaller Straplocks, 4-way switch.
    Still my favourite Tele. In very good condition but fairly well played.

7. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

You'll get more selling it. It's worth more if it's a very early one, with pencil writing in cavities and - allegedly - plastic wires.

One story is the very first ones were assembled in Japan from US parts.

88s are definitely minor cult status and if you had the case candy and tags, receipts etc quite collectible.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.