1987 made in japan Squier standard strat

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by ZZB3, Jan 9, 2012.

1. ZZB3

ZZB3 Tele-Holic

This weekend I bought a mint 1987 made in Japan Squier strat. The neck is phenomenal. Funny guitar is that there is a device to lock the strings behind the nut and a Fender Series one bridge which is made by Schaller on a guitar with three single coils. The neck has a 12" radius with the truss adjustment in the heel. The guitar is all original but the pickups are not great. They are ceramic and I may change them and the pots out for some better grade stuff. It is a player. I paid $120 buck which include a USA case. I hate to rewire it but the sound could be better and the guitar is a player. Have fun, Wayne

2. DMace

DMace Friend of Leo's

Rewire away. The mid to late-80s MIJ Squiers are great guitars to mod. I have one and added a set of Duncan SSL-1 pickups. I've had no problem with the pots/electronics, though I might swap out the cheap tuning machines.

3. jglenn

jglenn Tele-Afflicted

I have an 80's E Series 50's style Strat I got in trade last year from a TDPRI member.A great playing guitar with one of the best Fender necks Ive ever played.I borrowed a new Eric Johnson maple board Strat from my boss last week,expecting it to blow away all my guitars.In my opinion,the neck on my Strat is just as nice as the EJ. and with the Fralins in my guitar,I prefer the sound of mine also.Now if I could just borrow the light weight nitro finished body from the EJ,I would be set!Enjoy the new Squier,great deal!

4. ZZB3

ZZB3 Tele-Holic

Mine supossedly has a 12" radius which I am told that staggered height pickups are not recomended. I have a set of Fralin Vintage hots already or I could pickup a set of Duncan ssl-2 flats. Fralin did say I could exchange them but I have another strat I may the Fralins in. The neck on the Squire is perhaps the best I have ever played and my 1995 Strat plus deluxe has a great neck but this one plays just as well if not a tad bit better.

5. flag72

flag72 Tele-Afflicted

picture PLZ:D

6. Stubee

Stubee Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

I had a Squier E Strat of about that year, a very vibrant blue body w. RW board. It did play just wonderfully with 10s or 11s (I even ran 12s on it) & was in fact one of the easier Strats I've had to set-up well but the pups were kinda lifeless. Had two other MIJ Strats (a Squier SQ and a Fender Strat) with original pups that sounded great but these were nothin'. I put Lace Holy Grails in it, what a difference. You have a zillion choices. I had Rio Grande Vintage Tall Boys in another MIJ Strat and that was one hot machine, really nice pups.

Mine didn't have the locking nut stuff & was just a plain old Strat. It is a great platform for modding & I highly recommend trying some different pups. You got a good deal on it , have fun. Great guitars

7. D.Allen

D.Allen Tele-Holic Vendor Member

I own 3 Fender versions of that MIJ 1985's and they are great guitars. I take them to trade shows and they don't fall out of tune!
    Necks are very sweet but of course I upgraded all the electronics and put my pups in.

8. ZZB3

ZZB3 Tele-Holic

Should I change out the pots and cap as well as the pups or just the pups? The pots are regular size not the mini pots and work well and are quiet. Thanks, wayne

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.