1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

1985 strat finish

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by RugbyRichJapan, Jan 25, 2021.

1. RugbyRichJapan

RugbyRichJapan TDPRI Member

Hi - Have a 1985 strat I bought in a junk shop in Japan for $20. Played really well when I bought it and even better with new pick ups etc. Had it 20 plus years and finally decided I can live with the finish no more. No idea what the person who owned it before did but it is a mess - looks like normal house paint, with bits in it and much of it has changed colour.

The big question is - the crack. Is that just the finish? Am worried if I strip the paint what to do if it goes much deeper.

Any assistance, tips, suggestions welcome.

Attached Files:

Fretting out likes this.
  2. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

All I see is the normal polyester finish.
    In fact it looks great.

hemmings, EsquireBoy, drf64 and 2 others like this.
  3. 985plowboy

985plowboy Friend of Leo's

I had an ‘80’s MIJ strat that had a bit of discoloration as well.
    I strongly suggest you leave that guitar as is.
    Unless you have mad skills, a refin is not going to come out like you envision it.
    That guitar shows 35+ years of honest wear. That’s cool.

hemmings, drf64, AlbertaGriff and 2 others like this.
  4. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

That crack is just as deep whether the paint is there or not. It is difficult to tell for sure whether the crack is along a glue joint or just in the paint. There seems to be a bit of a curve in the crack toward the heel of the body leading me to believe it is just the paint. However, optical distortion is common with some phone cameras, especially iPhones. If it is a perfect straight line crack, I would be concerned that it has cracked along a glue joint.

5. RugbyRichJapan

Many thanks for the advice. Looks like I may have saved some time and money! Though part of me is still wondering what the wood looks like under that thick coat!

6. Fretting out

Fretting out Poster Extraordinaire

If it’s only on the front it may just be the finish

Finish cracks like this are hard to figure out with pictures

Beautiful guitar by the way one of my favorite guitars is a 72 reissue style guitar like yours, and it’s got finish cracks on it that look like a dropped egg shell

If you do decide to strip and it is a crack through the wood then it’s time to do something about it

If it were mine I’d leave it be as these early mij guitars are actually quite desirable/valuable

Is that strap button in the upper horn moved down? I’ve never seen one that low from the factory

Last edited: Jan 28, 2021
  7. 985plowboy

985plowboy Friend of Leo's

Probably like a butcher block.
    I stripped a pawn shop purchase Alvarez Tele shaped guitar and refinished it as a father and son project. Four pieces of wood of different size and coloration glued together and a very thin laminate on the top to help smooth it all out.
    It was black.
    Now it’s orange and despite our very best efforts has the texture of an orange as well.
    If you want to pay around with finish and natural wood, buy an unfinished body. Stew Mac, Warmoth, USACG and many others sell them reasonably priced.

8. RugbyRichJapan

Yes the strap button was moved down,,,,,,the guitar was found in a junk shop in Osaka about 25 years ago for 2,000 yen,,about $20 at the time. The area around the strap button had been damaged and that was the only option. Replaced the original electrics and had a little work done on neck - including removing some stickers that had been put on it. It plays really well despite some worn frets. And yes the crack is only on the front.

Fretting out likes this.
  9. MAXXFIELD

MAXXFIELD Tele-Meister

I just paid a lot more for an 83 strat in this color. And i love it.

10. Collin D Plonker

Collin D Plonker Tele-Afflicted

Looks great.

11. EsquireBoy

EsquireBoy Friend of Leo's

Great looking guitar! As others have already said, I would certainly leave it as it is, it’s got mojo.

12. Frisco 57

Frisco 57 Tele-Meister

Great looking Strat! Play it 'til the thing fly's apart! Now you've got a story!

13. hamerfan

hamerfan Tele-Meister

I am not keen on a cracked and discoloured poly finish.
    Strip it, sand it and send it to MJT for a refinish in your favourite color and relic.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2021
  14. Preacher

Preacher Friend of Leo's

Here is a suggestion for you. Get some polish and use a drill to polish that up. If it does indeed have house paint that will take it off. From what I see is an old polyester finish which will be really thick, the polish will take off some grime and give it a little more lush color.

As far as the crack, more than likely it is a finish crack as the ploy wasn't very flexible. If it really worries you, get a crayon with about the same color and color it in. It will be not noticeable if the color is good at five feet and it won't affect playability or long term value.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.