1984 Telecaster

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by sparkymike, Nov 14, 2019.

1. sparkymike

sparkymike TDPRI Member

Hi I have an 1984 Tele that I bought brand new around the same date. I could not get on with the neck as it was like a baseball bat, so shaved it down similar to the early Strat that I had at the time. As the neck was coated in that thick clear (yellowish)finish, I had the job of removing all that and then stained it with a vintage amber (stewmacs) and then clear lacquered it. Now here is my problem. I could do with a new decal, but on these years the serial number was also a decal, so how can I replace that ? I still have the hanging tag but no number on there, but I do have a record of the correct number. One way I thought of, was to get that German co. who sell neck plates to stamp an F plate with the correct number. Not quite original, but at least the original serial number will not be lost, and at the same time, the original plate can be kept in the case.
    I can post photos if anyone is interested.
    Mike.

2. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

You might check with Ron Kirn....he used to have the original-style stamping equipment for neck plate serial numbers.
    Here's a link....this is for the three screw plate but I believe he does four screw as well
    http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5338148343&icep_item=263816782449
    Here's the four screw version.
    http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5338148343&icep_item=263833356352

Last edited: Nov 14, 2019
  3. sparkymike

sparkymike TDPRI Member

Many thanks for the links. They will be useful.
    Mike.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.