1984 Tele

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by sparkymike, Nov 19, 2019.

1. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Yes.Best saddles Fender ever used IMHO.

MickM likes this.
  2. WingedWords

WingedWords Tele-Holic

Mike

My first Tele was S836***. I bought it new in Kilburn April 1982 and it had a date 13/11/80 (prob 11/13/80.) It was pretty heavy and had a very thick finish. I px'ed it for a Trace Elliott bass amp about 20 years ago. I regret it now!

Edit: I just noticed in Duchossoir’s Tele book, he mentions S838365 with an inspection tag dated Nov 1980 which ties in with mine. It’s in the photo captions on p77.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2019
  3. toomuchfun

toomuchfun Tele-Afflicted

John, I did get that information from his Tele book, but am aware there are discrepancies in some of the data he had at publication. It's ironic Fender made the change in '76 to put the serial number with date reference on the headstock but didn't follow it. And I can see neck plates with serial numbers randomly dumped into a bin but not decal sheets. A very confusing time.

I have to check my '78 Custom to see if it's newer than I thought it was.

4. John C

John C Friend of Leo's

I can't remember if the Strat book or the Tele book came out first - so maybe the publishers left in text from the Strat book if it did come out first when they typeset the Tele book because that info is spot on for Strats.

This may be an internet rumor thing, but I have heard 2 reasons why the S8 Tele decals and the S9 Strat decals hung around so long:
    1. Fender over-ordered the decals and chose to use them up
    2. Whomever was in charge of ordering decals each year neglected to make an annual change (going from S8 to S9 for '79, then to E0 for 1980, etc.)
    I suspect that the "over ordered" was probably the case, and someone in accounting told production to "use them up!" to pinch a few pennies.

For what it's worth Fender was all over the place back then - my '79 Lead II (bough on Black Friday weekend that year, produced in late October 1979) had an E0xxxxx serial number. In fact I've never seen a '79 Lead I or Lead II with an S9 serial number outside of the two (one of each) shown in the magazine ads and catalogs. Steve Morse and Elliot Easton had factory modified Leads that were Lead Is with the Lead II neck pickup and an extra toggle switch (so they had 3 switches instead of 2) so maybe their customs had S9 serial numbers, maybe not.

5. toomuchfun

toomuchfun Tele-Afflicted

John - Thanks for the information.

Well, my Telecaster Custom with a S8 serial number has 9-21-81 scratched on the shielding on the pickguard with initials, like a sign off. 3 years newer than I thought. I'll pencil some notes in my copy of the Telecaster book.

Here are some pics:

78-81_tele_custom-2.jpg

Pick up is '81 too. 9-21-81 marking is under the pick up on the foil.

78-81_tele_custom-1a.jpg

78-81_tele_custom-1b.jpg

Last edited: Nov 21, 2019
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.