1984 Tele

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by sparkymike, Nov 19, 2019.

1. sparkymike

sparkymike TDPRI Member

I have a 1984 sunburst Tele and have been wondering where they were made. Japan, or USA ?
    Were the hang tags the same for both Fender plants in both countries ?
    Mike.

2. 2 Headed Goat

2 Headed Goat Tele-Afflicted

Pics??

3. John C

John C Friend of Leo's

Definitely pics - by 1984 there were both USA and MIJ instruments. Plus there is the serial number issue where Fender used left-over decals with "1984" serial numbers on 1987-88 USA models.

TeleTown, Torren61 and 2 Headed Goat like this.
  4. Fretting out

Fretting out Tele-Afflicted

Does it say made in Japan on the heel

If it was made in Japan when you take of it should be stamped TL- and then a number

5. toomuchfun

toomuchfun Tele-Afflicted

Did you check the date on the neck heel?

I have a similar issue with an '88 American Standard with an '83 headstock decal. I bought it new in 1988 and watched the shipping carton being opened. The neck heel has an '88 date.

I'm guessing when they started up production in the US they used up the old decals.

Here are some photos.

88_am_std.jpg

88_am_std-2.jpg

Fretting out and 2HBStrat like this.
  6. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Tele-Meister

Fender just used serial numbers till they ran out. No waste!

7. Fretting out

Fretting out Tele-Afflicted

The heel will tell all

8. sparkymike

sparkymike TDPRI Member

I will take some pics. Serial number is an S 84 number.

9. sparkymike

sparkymike TDPRI Member

Pretty good condition, I look after my guitars !! This one is as heavy as a Les Paul. Think the wood is Alder but not sure. Nice grain though. IMG_7143.JPG IMG_7144.JPG IMG_7145.JPG

nojazzhere likes this.
  10. toomuchfun

If there is an S instead of a E on your decal you have a 1978 model, not an 1984. S 8_____ = 1978.

11. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

You have a late 70s tele (what happened to the neck decal btw?) not an 1984,fyi the bridge saddles aren't original and the body is ash.

12. Wrighty

Wrighty Tele-Afflicted

It could be it’s Achilles heal!

Fretting out likes this.
  13. John C

John C Friend of Leo's

Well 1978-1981 or 1982. Fender used the S8xxxxx decals from 1978 until either 1981 or possibly 1982 - mainly because I've never seen a 1982 Tele with an "E2" serial number. It's one of Fender's known serial number issues.

14. sparkymike

sparkymike TDPRI Member

Hi, I bought it brand new in a local music shop around 1983/4 I believe. Might have been sitting in the shop for some time. I could not get used to the neck as it was baseball bat shape, so I shaved it down to match an early Strat neck I have here, which is one of the best shaped Fender necks I have ever played on. I should find a Strat body and build it up, but it will need re-fretting, which will be a problem as it has thick clear coat on it which blends in with the fret bases. After I shaved the Tele neck, I gave it an antique stain and then sprayed it in clear lacquer. The decal came off in the process, as this neck also had the thick clear coat all over which I removed during the reducing/shaving process. I did have a bit of savvy to record the serial number, so I do know the pedigree. I guess I could put on a 70/80's decal and print off the correct serial number on decal paper and then put that on underneath, as I have not seem any of those decals for sale so far.
    Mike.

15. sparkymike

sparkymike TDPRI Member

Hi Nick,
    are these the correct saddles ?
    Mike. IMG_7147.JPG

16. toomuchfun

In the A. R. Duchossoir Telecaster book he says the years overlapped since the decals were bought in bulk. He doesn't say how long S 8 decals were used be says the S 9 decals were used up to '80 - '81.

If you really want to narrow it down you could see if the date codes on the volume and tone pots are visible. The pick ups might have a stamp on the bottom, if so the last 2 digits are the year. If you can find those you can use the latest year of those dates for your guitar.

They don't sell decals like those anymore because there are already enough fake guitars in this world. Not that yours is, but you have altered an original Telecaster and removed the most legitimate way of dating it. Please consider leaving it as is.

17. mkdaws32

mkdaws32 Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

I have an 83/84 tobacco burst USA standard. It was bought new by my Dad to order, so it was new for sure. They do not have an ashtray bridge - it is a modern style bridge with six offset chrome saddles. It is also top loading only - no string through holes and no ferrules out the back. Serial number E322845. Always thought it was 84, but could have been 83 - but they were the same. So I concur the posted tele is not an 84 - it’s very different.

18. John C

John C Friend of Leo's

If that is stated in A. R. Duchossoir's Tele book then it must be an editing error. While that is correct regarding the use of S8 and S9 numbers for Stratocasters - S8 numbers for 1 year, then S9 numbers through 1981. But the Telecasters - all 3 models (standard, Custom and Deluxe) used S8 serial numbers from 1978 through 1982.

I have never found a photo of a Telecaster, Tele Deluxe or Tele Custom with an S9 decal.

19. sparkymike

sparkymike TDPRI Member

I will check the posts for date. Nice that it is probably earlier than I thought. I guess it was hanging around in the shop for a long time before I came along and maybe also hanging around in the wholesalers in London, or where ever they were at the time.
    Mike.

20. Matthias

Matthias Friend of Leo's

FYI I think on a 78 the serial should also be on a sticker under the pickguard. Nice guitar!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.