1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

1982 62 reissue value

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by golfnut, Apr 8, 2021.

1. golfnut

golfnut Friend of Leo's

A guy on the Canadian guitar forum is selling a Fullerton 1982 62 reissue strat and he's asking $4,850 CA (approx. $3,860 US).
    Have these guitars increased in value that much. Personally I wouldn't even be interested in a guitar from that era unless very cheap. Maybe I'm out of touch with value from this era.

2. Downshift

Downshift Tele-Afflicted

They are a love/hate guitar and era but at that asking price it will sell to someone in the love category.

I'm in the love camp. I've had an '82 52 Tele for 15 years, and over the years I've had an '84 52 a very early '82 57 Strat. I loved them all. They are not exact replicas, or the most accurate reissues. If that's what you're after, you won't like them. But they have their own vibe/legacy/thing that some people really dig.

There used to be a group of about 25 or 30 of us on facebook that would keep track of them, buy/sell/trade, share stories etc. There were guys just as obsessed with the Fullerton reissues as any other collectible guitar. They may not be collectible to the larger guitar community, but definitely to a smaller group.

I'm confident that if that guitar crosses paths with one of the guys from that group, it will get snatched up quickly.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2021
    as5431 likes this.
  3. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Poster Extraordinaire

I’m sorry, I don’t have any idea what the guitar is worth...but close to $4000 US/$5000 CA sounds a bit pricey to me...but as I said, I don’t know the value of these guitars.

Also, I want to know if the exchange rate of the California dollar vs the US dollar fluctuates very much...

EDIT:
    I have been informed that Canada also uses the term “dollar” for it’s currency, and I am stupid for thinking that CA$ meant California dollars...

I apologize.

percy likes this.
  4. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Poster Extraordinaire

The early U.S. reissues have certainly come up above their original value, even after adjusting for inflation. But the price that seller is asking is well out of line with the market. $3,000 would be for a dead mint one, and even that might take a while to sell, if it does at all.

You don't judge the market by asking prices. You judge it by actual sales. IME, most sellers *actually* sell for 15 to 25 percent below asking price, and those that are well out of line don't sell. If the ad disappears after a while on a high priced item, it's usually because the seller got sick of waiting and pulled the ad, not because it sold. You'll likely see the same item from the same seller reappear at some point in the future.

Here's a recently sold example of a similar model, in a "custom color," with checking, with a re-fret to non-original fret size (something easily restored to original on a rosewood board, for $200 to $300). It was asking $2,900, and sold for an unknown offer. I would assume it actually sold for anywhere from $2,200 to $2,500. The negative impact of the re-fret kind of balances out with the fact that it isn't a typical sunburst. That's an appropriate range for this guitar, IMO, and I myself would pay the lower end of that (and do the re-fret to original spec. wire).

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5338148343&icep_item=154318065836

If these sellers who are asking so high were truly confident in the value of their item, and really wanted it gone right away, they'd simply do a no reserve auction with a $1.00 starting bid. You know when someone asks high and accepts offers, that they are simply fishing for offers, or for that one buyer who just has to have it (but might take years to find).

Last edited: Apr 8, 2021
    Tele-friend likes this.
  5. Bryan A

Bryan A Tele-Meister

Some people will pay more for something simply because it is “old”. I think the 1990s and 2000s are generally considered a “better era” than 1980s. I know it’s not apples to apples, but in Dec 2019 I bought a 2000 ‘52 avri for $950US. Am I gonna pay 4x that for a somewhat similar reissue guitar just for the sake of it being 18 years older? Not a chance.

6. AlbertaGriff

AlbertaGriff Tele-Afflicted

I saw that one too and thought the asking price was outrageous.

7. warrent

warrent Friend of Leo's

Depends on color and condition but Fullerton vs Corona will bring you an extra 1000 to 1500 on a good day. Can't make anymore strats out of the old CBS factory

8. JRapp

JRapp Tele-Holic

I have had 4 AVRIs from the 80s (kept a Tele and a Strat) and they're not all that. And 35 years later, I would expect most of them to have had a refret, pickup swaps, replaced components, etc. unless they were closet queens. 4K---no way.

9. richiek65

richiek65 Friend of Leo's

I had a 62 reissue neck on a strat in the mid 80s that a shop offered me AU$1000 for, probably $2500 in today's money?

10. teleplayr

teleplayr Tele-Afflicted

A simple web search will give you an answer.

There use to be a web site that specialized in selling Fullerton re-issues, but I can't seem to find it now.

11. golfnut

golfnut Friend of Leo's

Thanks for letting me know that a "Simple" search won't give me the answer. :D

12. standup

standup TDPRI Member

I’ve got an MIJ 62 reissue Tele that I basically plan to never part with. I think, not sure, they might be selling for $1000 - $1200 ish now?

codamedia likes this.
  13. codamedia

codamedia Poster Extraordinaire

On REVERB right now there is the following...
    • a 1982 62 Re-issue (Fullerton) for $5250CAD.... seller is in California
    • A 1982 57 Re-issue (Fullerton) for $5900CAD.... seller is in Denmark
    That doesn't mean these guitars are worth that.... it's what these people are asking. If the guy in Canada checked prices on Reverb, it might explain why he is asking so much.

IMO... all of these prices are out to lunch.

JRapp likes this.
  14. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

No

15. kinkstah

kinkstah Tele-Afflicted

+1. This is waaay overpriced

16. macoshark

macoshark TDPRI Member

It's the Fullerton thing. The shape of the belly curve. The early AVRIs are supposed to have thinner necks that some like. To me it doesn't add up but that era is pricey because of those things. The earlier PUs, pre 98 are supposed to have some thing more than the latter ones. I don't know the 7.25 radius but would like to play one like the MIM Classic series to find out. If I was a pro maybe I would think different about spending thousands on a Strat but I'm happy with my MIM and Classic Vibe Strats.

17. Dan German

Dan German Doctor of Teleocity

:lol:

https://www.theonion.com/perky-canada-has-own-government-laws-1819563891

AlbertaGriff and Fiesta Red like this.
  18. Texsunburst59

Texsunburst59 Friend of Leo's

That's just crazy money that I'd NEVER pay for that guitar.

I never really bought into the whole AVRI guitars when they came out.

They were like $2K or so brand new.

I don't really get long with the vintage small frets and the 7.25 radius fretboard at all.

I did eventually run into an '07 Fender '57RI AVRI strat in a pawnshop a few years ago for $400.

I played it and it really didn't impress me at all, but there was NO WAY I was going to pass on it for the asking price.

I bought it and it's been a case queen for quite few years.

I'm holding on to it so I can use it in a trade or sell to fund another guitar I REALLY want.

Here's a pic of mine.

[​IMG]

golfnut and AlbertaGriff like this.
  19. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Tele-Afflicted

When a late 70's Strat is in the $2500+ range then $3860 for a first year Fullerton reissue doesn't seem out of line to me...

20. golfnut

golfnut Friend of Leo's

I wouldn't give you a plug nickel for a 70's tele personally but that aside is the only thing that qualifies a guitar for vintage value going up is the passage of time? So 20 years from now a guitar made in the 2000's will be worth so much more? Personally I think guitars being made now are far better than most made in the 70's\80's.

Tele-friend likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.