1981 Fender Super Reverb and an early 90s Twin Amp (100 watt):

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by supersoldier71, Mar 28, 2018.

1. corliss1

corliss1 Friend of Leo's

You can see the schematic for the 70 watt version here. It's a harder to find one for some reason:

https://schematicheaven.net/fenderamps/cbs_70w_mstrvol_pullsw_super-pro-bmstr_rev.pdf

The "extra" leads on the OT are for the ultra linear function. So, it's not that there are extra taps that you can use, but you can disconnect and alter things a bit (along with some other changes) to get closer to the older amps if you so desire.

Axis29 likes this.
  2. supersoldier71

supersoldier71 Tele-Holic

The Twin is the Leader in the clubhouse!

I got to play through this one and it's as much amp as I remember. I liked both channels, I liked the reverb and I liked the volume. I was very early on in my playing the first time I ever played through a Twin Amp, so I didn't have any idea regarding sensitivity or sag or any of the other more esoteric characteristics of a guitar amp.

Also, I had nothing to compare it to at the time.

This time, I feel like I hear some Mesa Mark IV--or something--in the gain channel. Mesas have Fender DNA, but I feel, or rather, it sounds like Fender borrowed something back from Mesa for the Lead channel.

3. 2 Headed Goat

2 Headed Goat Tele-Afflicted

FWIW....
    As Wally as others pointed out, point to point hand wired amps are heaps eaiser to fix and/or mod. Had a friend who owned an early/mid 90's Super Amp back in the day. Sounded great and it had 3 switchable channels as I recall. Anyway, his band played a lot in Pioneer Square in Seattle - blues/rock in the vein of SRV... they favoured playing their amps loud/wide open and strictly used their PA just for vocals.
    One night an output tube went south and took the plate resistor with it. I supplied him with a spare amp to finish the gig and took the Super home to suss out/fix it. A shorted tube and fried plate resistor in a hand wired amp is a super easy and quick fix. Not so in the 90's Super. Upon opening up the amp, I was greeted with 2 PC boards sandwiched together for lack of a better term... and top one was inverted so the component side was underneath. I could easily locate the fried plate resistor, but to get to it and replace it I would have to remove numerous screws, and standoffs... 10 or more IIRC. Seeing that, I just buttoned it back up and recommended he take it to an authorised Fender Shop. Also, the PC board traces looked fairly munted from the short.
    Not positive but more than likely that 90's Twin will have the same type of internal infrastructure ; )
    Something you may want to consider/factor in...
    Cheers,
    2HG

4. swampyankee

swampyankee Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

If 2 channels and 4-10s is what you want, get a 90's Pro Tube Super Amp. Best (or worst) of both worlds. 60 watts, 4-10s in a Super Reverb sized cabinet. The circuit is said to be modeled after the tweed Bassman so you should be able to dial in some wooly tones there. And like the Concert, you get a pull-bright pot which gets you the same blackface ish tone as the Twin.

5. Engraver-60

Engraver-60 Friend of Leo's

Hand wired circuitry is a way easier to fix critter. I fried a couple of resistors and a tube socket on my real 1965 Vibroverb when I was teenager, and as inexperienced as I was, I was able to repair it fine. This was in 1969, and Heathkit had a store 3 miles from my house, and those guys helped me learn how to desolder and resolder. I never knew that capacitors held dangerous charge, and luckily did not experience any incidence of electrocution. I know better now, but have not had any reason yet to delve into the innards of an amp, other than my Cyber-Twin to remove and clean the encoders..

6. supersoldier71

Over the last several days I've played the Super Reverb, the Twin, a TRRI, a Concert Reverb and a Supro Jupiter.

The Super Reverb 70W was too clean for what I do. No breakup at any volume. The TRRI was about the same, but I've always enjoyed playing them even if I wouldn't buy one. I really liked the Twin Amp and the Concert Reverb because of their gain channels. The Supro was cool and if I needed a Pops Staples or Sister Rosetta Tharpe thing, it'd be ideal.

The Concert Reverb was also very inexpensive!

7. flyswatter

flyswatter Friend of Leo's

I've owned an 81 ultralinear SR for many years... bought it for 200 bucks back in the nineties. It's a good amp -- although very clean as the OP noticed. It also has two major design flaws. 1) 70 Watts is far too much to draw from a pair of 6L6s. My amp ate power tubes for lunch until I knew enough to sub in a pair of JJ 6L6S that can handle the higher plate voltages. 2) the master volume (with pull "boost") really sucks on these amps. For years I dimed mine to keep it more or less out of circuit, until -- again, knowing more -- went in and removed it. I now rely on the channel volumes only and the amp is much better -- though in truth i also find it too clean and switched over to smaller tweeds and Voxes.

8. supersoldier71

I think I'm losing my mind. Out and about with my son in law and grandson, we stopped by a Guitar Center so that my son in law could check out a few basses and amps. His entire rig disappeared from his apartment while he was bicycling across North America.

After lunch, we ran through Sam Ash and I played a JC-40. Stop the press! I thought I remembered playing through a JC-120 before but now I'm not sure. It felt three dimensional and full and I was stunned by how nice it sounded with a TS-9.

Is it even possible that a JC-40 could beat out a host of powerful Fenders?

My hearing may be going.

9. ecosse

ecosse Tele-Meister

If you’re looking for a clean sound to be heard over the rest of a big band....I see no reason why an ultra linear super wouldn’t be perfect for that without overdoing it. The twin will also do a great job. Personally I’d take the the Super. OR look for a used silverface twin. Great deals to be had on them plus a little maintenance.

10. supersoldier71

The loud cleans are a consideration because they are harder to come by than loud distorted sounds, but mostly I play with a fair amount of overdrive, and this will require either a two channel amp, or pedals, and I'm fine with either approach.

I think I'm going to end up getting my Peavey Classic 50 serviced and checked out, putting it on casters and using that at church, and finding a different solution for my grab-n-go amp.

I played the Peavey today and reminded myself how much I love that amp and why I've had it so long.

Seriously, everything I was looking for in an amp is already sitting in my music room, but I hate moving it.

I think the answer may be to leave the Peavey at church and find a portable amp that I like more than my Jet City combo. Which won't be too hard. Or expensive.

Time for another thread!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.