1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

1981 Fender Lead Compact, the amp Fender never made?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Patton, Feb 28, 2021.

1. Patton

Patton Tele-Meister

But they produced an owners manual for some reason.

OM_leg_gtramp_Lead_Compact.pdf (fmicassets.com)

I found it in the Fender owners manual archive on their site. From what I see it's basically a higher powered Fender 30 amp, the one that wasn't made for very long. I'm guessing they were ready to go with it but Paul Rivera came on board and it was cancelled. Too bad, I like the 60 watts with the option of channel switching or using it in two separate channel mode.

BTW, anyone here own a Fender 30? Or ever did?

2. ReverendRevolver

ReverendRevolver Tele-Afflicted

I've always said I'd buy one if it popped up and I had the money.

I love my 75, and while it's not just a smaller 75, they're similar on features (and presumably both designed with similar intentions).
    The 30 had a much shorter run than the 75, and both are overlooked and ignored frequently. A third member of the line would have been awesome. Something to look forward to if we ever get a "parallel universe " amp line. The 75s biggest issue is the gain channel shares the eq with clean, making it impossible to have both sound great. I think most people just get the clean perfect and ignore the lead. I've had some luck with keeping the sacrifices to the clean to barely noticable and getting a usable gain sound, but only with humbuckers, and it was finneky.

3. Five Aces

Five Aces Tele-Meister

...on that same note, sharing EQ controls is the one drawback on many amps. It makes switching between clean and distortion channels almost impossible! One of my little combo favorites, my Frontman 25R is great with its clean channel (with an upgraded speaker, of course), but if you could make the gain channel work, the settings are so extreme it makes a footswitch useless! So you're kinda committed to one channel.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.