1981 ‘52 Telecaster Vintage

Kreibichspeed

NEW MEMBER!
Just a quick question: I keep reading that the production of the ‘52 Vintage Telecasters began in 1982 but I bought one (S/N 0150 on the bridge plate) from Guitar Center in LA in 1981. I still have it, and the dated receipt. What gives?

T Prior

Poster Extraordinaire
Nothing gives , you have a receipt ! It would not have been uncommon for Fender to pre-ship ( before the 82 date) a bunch to see what the reaction would be.

Its a great guitar, don't let it go ! I happen to have an 88 and an 89.

How about post a photo for us ?

Kreibichspeed

NEW MEMBER!
I’ll take a photo of it when I get home in a couple of weeks. It doesn’t look anything special, just a sweet-playing guitar. Still my favorite after 40 years and thousands of hours of play.

John C

Friend of Leo's
Just a quick question: I keep reading that the production of the ‘52 Vintage Telecasters began in 1982 but I bought one (S/N 0150 on the bridge plate) from Guitar Center in LA in 1981. I still have it, and the dated receipt. What gives?

Nothing gives , you have a receipt ! It would not have been uncommon for Fender to pre-ship ( before the 82 date) a bunch to see what the reaction would be.

Things with Fender were pretty fluid back then; the first Reissues actually show up on the price list dated December 12, 1981. I imagine that most of us just got used to calling it a 1982 introduction since the price list was dated 19 days before the end of 1981.

Also I seem to recall reading somewhere (probably one of the Duchossoir books - but I don't recall if it was the Strat book or the Tele book) that the Teles shipped out first, followed by the Strats. I don't have either book to verify that though.

lewis

Poster Extraordinaire
Looking forward to your photo(s). A closeup of the bridge plate with the serial number, and the dot underneath, would be cool.

Twang Tone

Friend of Leo's
Things with Fender were pretty fluid back then; the first Reissues actually show up on the price list dated December 12, 1981. I imagine that most of us just got used to calling it a 1982 introduction since the price list was dated 19 days before the end of 1981.

Also I seem to recall reading somewhere (probably one of the Duchossoir books - but I don't recall if it was the Strat book or the Tele book) that the Teles shipped out first, followed by the Strats. I don't have either book to verify that though.
They also appeared for the first time in the 1982 Fender Catalogue - "The Sound that Creates Legends", or something like that.

The earliest Fullerton RI I've seen was dated February '82 on the neck, but it's possible Fender were building them at any stage after Freddie Tavares had drawn up the Blue Print in November 1980.

gmann

Friend of Leo's

Eso. To the guitar center in LA.

toomuchfun

Tele-Afflicted
In the Duchossoir book he says they were first shown in January '82 at the winter NAMM. You have one with great historical value, as a reissue, with your paperwork. If you haven't altered it, don't. But most certainly play that gem!

Like TPrior, I have an '88 and '89, those years had some of the nicest feeling necks, although era wrong, that I've ever played. Keepers.