1980s MIJ tele custom '62 (A serial)

frettchen

Tele-Meister
Hi!
Someone is selling a MIJ Tele Custom '62, serial A + 6 digits, in sunburst with double binding. Anyone knows what kind of pickups would be in it (he says it's all original)? Ceramic or Alnicos?
Any experiences with these? Is 1000 euros a bit high or it's a fair price for one of these in your opinion?
Thanks!
1655932598877.png

1655932648407.png

1655932701324.png

teleplayr

Friend of Leo's
From the Fender.com website.

"This was the second iteration of what was known as the Telecaster Custom. The Fender Custom Telecaster lived as a standard Telecaster with a bound body."

Yours is a Custom Telecaster.

rze99

Doctor of Teleocity
I have one pretty much identical I think from '85. Below.

From recollection the original pickups were Vintage style alnico. They were fine for jangle pop, but a touch weak for harder stuff.

Many of these guitars have had the pickups and electronics swapped out, as does mine. (I have Seymour Duncan Jerry Donahue in mine. Big fat juicy 50s tone). What is in there may not be original given the age.

1k Euros seems steep to me viscerally, but I was used to them being less expensive for a long while so it with ridiculous inflation we have probably about right. These have gone up in value a lot due to their exceptional build, stability and ease of playing. I'll never get rid of mine it's been with me since the 90s and been through a lot.

pics

IMG_7103.JPG

serial.JPG

CX Hunter

Tele-Meister
I have the same one (‘88). Can’t speak to the pickups as I changed mine for Seymour Duncans when I bought it. The thing about this model is THE NECK. LOVE it. The degree to which I love this guitar has inspired me over the years to buy a 2nd one (in red) and a MIJ Texas Special Strat. Three of my absolute favorite guitars in my collection. If I lost my original one, I wouldn’t hesitate for a second to spend $1,300.00 or so, to replace it with that one. If the seller is open to offers, that’s the offer I’d make.

standup

Tele-Meister
I have pretty much the same guitar, an mij Tele custom from the 80’s. The bridge pickup died, I somehow snagged the wire wrap on something. These days it has a Lollar Special T in the bridge and Klein goldfoil in the neck. I still have both original pickups, but the bridge would have to be rewound.

it’s a great guitar, and I suspect 1000 euros might be a fair price. I think mine was $300 in 1990 or so, if I recall correctly. Bought it from a shop that primarily sold American vintage guitars, so they didn’t see an mij Tele as being very special.

dreamingtele

Poster Extraordinaire
Ive always loved 62 spec teles. I wont hesitate on an MIJ.

Ive had AVRI 62 and MIJ traditional 60’s in Daphne Blue. The MIJ is on par with the AVRI in quality and feel.

Untitled by D Y, on Flickr

If I’m after a vintage feel but a little bit short on cash, Id go MIJ

bgmacaw

Doctor of Teleocity
Finding a 80's or 90's MIJ Fender that's not a "Ship of Theseus" is generally a good thing, depending on the condition. The high price tag is questionable though, considering that you could get a new one for about the same amount. I guess it depends on if you believe in vintage MIJ Mojo or not.

archetype

Fiend of Leo's
Hi!
Someone is selling a MIJ Tele Custom '62, serial A + 6 digits, in sunburst with double binding. Anyone knows what kind of pickups would be in it (he says it's all original)? Ceramic or Alnicos?
Any experiences with these? Is 1000 euros a bit high or it's a fair price for one of these in your opinion?
Thanks!
View attachment 996654
View attachment 996657
View attachment 996659

It isn't much info, but here is some:

Flyboy

Tele-Afflicted
MIJ prices are high right now but a double bound at €1000? One went for £650 here this afternoon and that was probably rather low.

Mike Eskimo

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Almost all the MIJ telecasters I have had have had very dodgy electronics/including the wires.

I had one of those and paid 750 for it and thought I was getting robbed and bent over.

But that was every bit of 10 years ago.

And all the early MIM telecasters? All the stock ones I have had from say 90-94 have had alnico pick ups and way better electronics than most of the Japanese ones from the 80s.

Those telecaster customs can be really cool as far as the fit and finish is concerned but you’re never going to find a gigantic neck on them but they are all good quality. I mean the cabinetry

Meringue71

TDPRI Member
I own a black one from '85. I bought it in a pawn shop here in France for 900 euros but it was in very bad repair. It also needed a good setup. What made me buy it was the neck. Just love the way it fits my hand. I had some tonerider pickups installed in it and it has become my favorite. Japan made telecasters can go up to 1400 euros depending on the condition in Europe.

lewis

Poster Extraordinaire
I was recently given an MIJ Tele Custom. Double-bound, sunburst, just like in the above photos. It has good pickups but a low quality switch and low quality tone/volume pots. Yes, it makes a difference but is an easy fix.
Mine, also, does not say "Custom Telecaster" on the headstock, just "Telecaster"
I used to own a similar vintage Fernandes Custom Tele (made in the same factory?) and an AVRI '62 Custom Tele. This MIJ is just as good.

Last edited:

fjfinamore

Tele-Meister
The pickup I took out of my '85 MIJ '62 reissue has alnico magnets and reads about 6.32 k. If I remember right, it was a bit cutting and bright, which was the reason I took it out.

Attachments

• MIJ 62 RI bridge pickup C.jpg
    MIJ 62 RI bridge pickup C.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 17