1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

1980? Silverface Princeton Reverb - Advice Needed

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Robin Nahum, Apr 23, 2004.

1. Robin Nahum

Robin Nahum Friend of Leo's

I have a line on what the dealer thinks is a circa 1980 Princeton Reverb - from the Rivera period he tells me. I haven't seen it yet. This is all by phone. The dealer is familiar with second-hand Fender amps. The price looks very good for an SFPR.

He tells me that it has a midrange pull boost and a switch for overdrive. It also has a 12" Eminence speaker that replaced an EV. He says it outputs 20W and has a tube rectifier.

I've looked at the Fender Amp Field Guide :

http://www.ampwares.com/ffg/princeton_reverb_sf.html

The Princeton at the shop sounds like quite a different beast. While I'm not a purist collector and would wear a 12" instead of a 10", I am after something close to original that I can sell without difficulty if I need to, preferably with a bit of capital gain.

Do I need to go and have a look at this amp?

RN

2. dean

dean Friend of Leo's

3. Robin Nahum

Hmmm... many of the specs fit the PRII but....

Hi Dean,

... the dealer says its a silverface and has a tube rectifier. The FAFG says that the PRII has a ss rectifier.

From the other reviews, the owners seem to like the II though.

RN

PS I've got a t-shirt that looks like your avatar. It says 'Fear and Loathing in Newtown' (rather than Las Vegas) - 'a savage journey to the heart of the Australian dream'.

Newtown is one of Sydney's grungier inner suburbs.

4. KokoTele

KokoTele Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

Robin, it's not all that uncommon for a SF Princeton Reverb to have been modified to use a 12" speaker, and there's a mod you can do to boost the output to about 18 watts.

A 1980 PR will have a pull boost on the volume knob, and will simply say "PULL FOR BOOST" right above it. The controls are Volume, Bass, Treble, Reverb, Speed, and Intensity. It will also have a tube rectifier, pair of 6V6s, and 4 12AX7-size tubes in the preamp.

If it's a PRII, the controls are completely different, and they only came in BF cosmetics.

5. dean

dean Friend of Leo's

So, what you gonna do?

Hi Robin,

Have you tried the amp, yet? I guess if the price is right and it sounds good, that's all that matters. When I posted earlier, I forgot that you said it was a silverface. It seems that any of the Fender tube amps from the Rivera era back are going to appreciate in value. A few years ago, mid-70s PRs were relatively inexpensive, but now, they're getting to be pretty pricey. It probably will be a solid investment if it sounds good and is not hacked up. I seems like eryque might have the most logical answer, although I wonder if there were some unique amps that were created for overseas or that were "one-offs".

As far as the avatar picture, I have been a fan of Ralph Steadman (and Hunter S. Thompson, of course) since FEAR AND LOATHING IN LAS VEGAS was first published. I had a t-shirt like the one you described with the words "Las Vegas" and "America" substituted. Unfortunately, I quit smoking and ultimately grew out of it. :lol:

Good luck with the amp!

Dean

6. Robin Nahum

Just pathetic....

First job of the day was to secure legitimacy for the quest from Leah. No hiding amp purchases at our house. No sirree.

Usual stuff.... 'I know I said that the Vibrolux and Pro are all I needed BUT an SFPR is an investment.... point-to-point wiring..... they're not making them this way anymore.... wonderfully convenient for taking to the IOM's... only 30lbs ....not too obtrusive.... it can go in the spare room when not being used'.

This was greeted with usual stuff from the other side... 'It's your money and you know I don't tell you how to spend it. I just don't want another amp in the bedroom. And no, I don't really need to see a picture of it at the Fender Amp Field Guide.' :lol:

I took this as an endorsement of the financial and aesthetic wisdom of the prospective purchase.

At the shop the owner indicates a Princeton Reverb 2. Looking at it, I could immediately see how even an experienced dealer could confuse a silverface Princeton Reverb and a Princeton Reverb 2 - particularly if you disregard the black face on which is printed 'Princeton Reverb 2'. I thought of Frances McDormand querying the detective work of her fellow officer early in 'Fargo' and stated the obvious. He replied, 'You're absolutely right. I must get round to fixing up the ad. Sorry to drag you out for nothing'.

I didn't say it before but the guy does have a reputation.

At least he's consistent.

No sale.

RN

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.