1979 Les Paul Deluxe

FenderGyrl

Poster Extraordinaire
Hi everyone. I am driving across the state line Sunday to play and probably buy this 1979 Les Paul Deluxe. I have played it in the past, about 5 years ago. It was purchased brand new and has had only one owner. He has decided to part with it and offered it to me first. He is happy it will be going to a good home. It has been well played and well loved. All original. Good condition.

It is one of the "Norlin Years" Les Pauls, and while some Les Paul collectors consider them to be firewood, others appreciate them. I am in the later group. I made an offer that I felt was fair, and it was accepted. I could buy a new Gibson for what I am paying for this Paul, but I know I will probably never get a chance like this again in my lifetime. So I will be driving this weekend with income tax refund in hand to bring her home. ;)

Attachments

• IMG_4145.JPG
    IMG_4145.JPG
    71.2 KB · Views: 960

ME262

Tele-Holic
Wow, that looks awesome! And if it doesn't sound like firewood, it probably isn't...

lewis

Poster Extraordinaire
I remember when those were new. I've never spent much time with '70s-early '80s Gibsons but I would love to own the "right one". Good luck.

Deaf Eddie

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
Not all the "Norlin Years" stuff is bad. Sure, they made some less-than-popular changes to old models, and introduced some unpopular new models, but the LP Deluxe isn't one of them. Solid axe, I love 'em. It's only gonna go up in value, sez me.

voodoo tele

Tele-Meister
Do it too it!if your happy and it plays great who cares what others think.looks like a great guitar to me.hope everything works out and you rock on it. Good for you great looking guitar......

FenderGyrl

Poster Extraordinaire
Hi guys, its here with me! It has been a long day , my hubby did the driving (2 hours) because I was still sleepy. He is a keeper for sure! I work night shift and getting up early when you have only slept three hours is not good if ya have to drive 80 miles an hour thru Chicago land.

So, I met the seller and his wife at a Barnes and Noble. I hadn't seen him in five years. I took her out of the case and just smiled. She was exactly as I remember her. A closet classic. She has buckle rash on the back but that's it. Frets=pristine. Neck=straight (no hump). Two small dings near the plug in jack. I played it unplugged and it had sustain for days! I smiled and shook his hand. Done Deal.

His wife(sweet gal) told him "see, its where it belongs..it will be fine". I was flattered. I asked him twice if he was sure he wanted to do this? He had such a distant look in is eyes when I was holding it. He told me yes, and that he has been thinking about this moment for three years now. It has been sitting in his closet unplayed. He just needed to find the right person to sell it to.

I played on a few of his original songs five years ago. I lost my job and had to relocate to another state,so we lost touch with each other. I wrote to him two weeks ago about recording my band. That's when he asked me about buying the guitar.

I brought her home and plugged her straight into my Egnator Tour Master Half Stack. Wow, the harmonics and sustain are unbelievable. I was shouting out "Oh man...Oh man...and smiling till my cheeks hurt. I had to put her down for now. Just too tired! It may have taken me 55 years, but I have found my number one!

I will get pictures asap and post them. Thanx for all the good thoughts guys!

FenderGyrl (in love with a Lester Deluxe)

Last edited:

vibrasonic

Tele-Afflicted
Happy NGD. I had a 78 in cherry sunburst that I foolishly sold many years ago. Been looking for a good deal on one for awhile but nothing has come along.

I'm sure you'll get lots of enjoyment from yours.

Ricky D.

Doctor of Teleocity
Very, very cool guitar. Glad it came together for you.

A friend had one in the 70's. Played it through 4 super reverbs :eek:

Lonn

Friend of Leo's
I picked up this 80 Deluxe last year near mint for $1300.

DSC05904.jpg

tonyj

Tele-Afflicted
Congratulations!! You are going to love it.

I have a '76 DeLuxe in tobaccoburst, with the same mini HBs. All original too. Never had an issue of any kind with it. Great guitars. Some can be a little heavy but a good comfortable wide strap will help to spread the load.

Now more photos please.

Oh, I drove 12 hours to pick mine up, and 12 hours home. Bought it from the original owner. Had a holiday on the coast between the trips. All round a great trip.

D_Schief

Tele-Holic
Sweet! I had a Deluxe as one of my first "serious" guitars back in the early 70's, and then went on a long trip of Fender teles and other mostly single-coil guitars. Now playing with a three-piece R&B band (plus singer and sax), I needed a little thicker sound and picked up a early 2000's LP Deluxe. It's my #1 gigging guitar for the last year plus. I love my GIbson archtops and teles, but truly love the versitility of the Deluxe.

Attachments

• LP_Deluxe.jpg
    LP_Deluxe.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 143

J. Hayes

Friend of Leo's
I had a seventies vintage LP Deluxe back when...

I still lived in SoCal. The band I was playing with did a good bit of rock and I really wanted a LP Standard as I thought the Deluxe was great for the country things but lacking on the rock side... What I did (that I now regret) was take the Deluxe to a guitar tech in Orange Country and had the mini humbuckers pulled out and the guitar routed out and a pair of DiMarzio pups installed, a Super Distortion in the neck slot and a
Dual Sound at the bridge with a mini toggle for the tapping. I took it to the gig and couldn't hardly stand to make it through the whole night. I though it bit the big one.... Luckily I had my Tele in the van and brought it in and did a lot of playing with it.... I more or less put the LP in the case for a year or two until I finally sold it. I eventually put the two original mini 'buckers into a Telecaster in the neck and middle slots and had 'em there for about twenty years. I wish I had the old gold top Deluxe back in it's original shape again... It was a fine guitar which I screwed up.....JH in Va.