1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

1977 Telecaster Originality brass bridge question!

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Joely, Jun 20, 2015.

1. Joely

Joely Tele-Meister

Hello chaps

Iv'e just been to view a 1977 standard telecaster. The guitar seems all cool apart from it was fitted with a Fender 6 saddle Brass Bridge. It has clearly been on there a while and I was wondering was this an option by the factory or has it been changed. I know they came either 6 saddle or 3 saddle but im not sure about the the Bridge plate. It was stamped fender.

Any ideas.

2. Joely

Joely Tele-Meister

Same as this one. Fender logo ImageUploadedByTDPRI1434814466.222772.jpg

3. Middleman

Middleman Friend of Leo's

In 77 that was a little early for the brass craze which started with 3rd party companies providing swap out parts and was later, early 80s, adopted by Fender. Is it brass or gold plated? If Gold plated, it could be an early gold plated bridge offered as an optional piece from the factory. If brass then likely a later addition.

4. Joely

Joely Tele-Meister

Now that you mention it , it was gold down the side of the lip of bridge plate but the top around the fender logo was so dull i just thought it was brass. I didnt realise you could get gold hardware as an option in the 70's

5. pcasarona

pcasarona Tele-Holic

I have a 1978 Custom that I bought in 1983, so I'm pretty sure it is all original (with exception of the pickguard which I changed). It has six saddles which I think was common for the later 70's Teles vs. the early 70's with just three saddles. Mine are not brass and I don't think they offered brass saddles from the factory at this time.
    [​IMG]
    Cas

6. Joely

Joely Tele-Meister

I think Middleman is right dirty gold and not brass. But this has the fender logo rather the FENDER uppercase like yours @ pcasarona. Does having the fender logo sound right.

7. Joely

Joely Tele-Meister

Here is the guitar and bridge in question. I has the fender logo/font across the plate ImageUploadedByTDPRI1434817706.698620.jpg

8. jammers5

jammers5 Tele-Afflicted

WOW thats a 77? it looks like its in GREAT shape!

J5

9. Middleman

Middleman Friend of Leo's

I am such a sucker for white teles, black pickguard with maple necks. Love that look.

10. Joely

Joely Tele-Meister

in real life its almost cream... think its been in a smokers home!!

So if i say that it is factory fitted with gold option bridge I wont banish from the village!

11. Radspin

Radspin Friend of Leo's

I don't think that's factory standard for '77. I worked in a music store in 1977 to about 1979 and never saw a stock Tele with that bridge. You could buy a six-way bridge as a retrofit around that time (can't remember exactly; it might have been the late '70s or early '80s because I had one on my 1969 Tele for a while).

12. pcasarona

pcasarona Tele-Holic

All the 77 and 78 Tele Customs I have seen have standard bridges with 6 saddles. The earlier guitars through 75 or so had 3 saddles, as do most of the standard teles I have seen from this time period. I don't ever remember seeing gold or brass on any 70's tele. That doesn't mean they didn't exist, but I have looked at hundreds of these guitars and never saw one from the factory that way. The factory was not big on offering a variety of options at this time period. In fact, I'm almost sure that Customs and Deluxes came only with Black pick guards at this time. Is it possible that someone put a Custom bridge on a standard tele to get the advantage of separate intonation adjustment for each string?

Cas

13. Joely

Joely Tele-Meister

Your probs right on the bridge but I have seen lots if tele's of this time with black white black pick guards. To honest I think the white are the ones you see less of.

14. milocj

milocj Friend of Leo's

^^^^This is how I remember things being. Somewhere around '76-77 the Custom got the chrome 6-saddle bridge as standard and Fender started selling it as an over the counter part for the other Teles, but I don't believe that you could buy a Tele with one on it from the factory. You would have to buy the 6-saddle and have the dealer install it or put it on yourself.

Sometime around 1981 they came out with the Black and Gold Tele that had a 6-saddle solid brass bridge with all hardware 18k gold plated and also sold this stuff separately as part of their Brassworks Accessories. That isn't the same bridge, but the saddles look identical (I have a B&G Tele I bought new). Maybe they also offered gold plated bridges, knobs, and control plates at the same time. Either way, I don't think that's the original bridge unless they were available aftermarket that early and the first buyer had the dealer install it (or the dealer popped it on before putting it on display for sale).

15. Joely

Joely Tele-Meister

Good work. I did see the black and gold bridge and that has the fat lip at the back. I have only found one other picture of the gold bridge with the spaghetti type logo.

16. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Check if a magnet sticks to it.

17. telex76

telex76 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

That picture doesn't look either brass or gold. (May just be the lighting).
    I smoke, some of my chrome parts take on a gold look after a few years.

18. pcasarona

pcasarona Tele-Holic

I have seen lots if tele's of this time with black white black pick guards. To honest I think the white are the ones you see less of.

Joely, your right. When I said Black only, I actually meant the black 3ply, not the white, tortoise, or pearl that you see on so many newer tele's.

19. milocj

milocj Friend of Leo's

I believe that other than the Custom and Deluxe, the B/W/B guard wasn't available until 1976 or 1977 when it became standard and W/B/W was only available on a couple of colors...possibly only on the International Color Series.

The one picture doesn't look gold, but on anything gold by Fender I only recall seeing the black screws, springs, and adjustment set screws. If that's a Fender bridge I believe that it was added a few years after the fact. If I can find the catalog from buying my Black and Gold I'll check the accessories section. I know that it mentions the brass parts available for the B&G and the "Strat" model as being available from the dealers.

20. Radspin

Radspin Friend of Leo's

Yes, the B/W/B guard became standard on Teles in the mid/late '70s, and on other Fender instruments. I remember thinking the black looked just wrong and un-Fender-like. Nowadays of course you can get pickguards in any color you'd like but back in the '70s the change from white to black was actually kind of shocking.

Blackguards from the early '50s notwithstanding!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.