1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

1977 deluxe reverb

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by guitarike, Apr 21, 2021.

1. guitarike

guitarike NEW MEMBER!

Hi. I was just wondering your guy’s thoughts about a 1977 deluxe reverb or other DR’s of around that time period. What would be a fair price for one in great shape.

thanks

2. Uncle Daddy

Uncle Daddy Tele-Afflicted

Any 45 year old amp is only as good as its last proper service, and much depends on the abilities of the tec that carried it out. In good shape, a DR is a great amp.

What setting do you want to use it in? They're probably a bit too loud for a town house, and with no master volume, you won't be getting close to any crunch without a visit from the fun police, but you can still use it as a pedal platform.

Telecastoff1 likes this.
  3. loudboy

loudboy Tele-Meister

Slightly OT, but I have a '78 SFPR that's pretty definitive.

4. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

Goldilocks amp for gigging. A bit big for a home amp these days but people do use them for that.

A SFDR isn't much removed from a Blackface, can be turned into one quite easily.

Leave the pullboost unpulled and it has no effect on the circuit.

Great classic Fender tone.

AlbertaGriff and DADGAD like this.
  5. Obelisk

Obelisk Tele-Afflicted

I have seen them range from as low as 1,000 up to 1,600. If you look around, you might find one cheaper. I wouldn't pay much above 1,200, but I tend to be cheap on buying stuff. Suffice to say that a Deluxe Reverb is a solid guitar amp throughout its entire run. Fender didn't really change much on that amp.

I own a 67 Deluxe Reverb & 68 Pro Reverb. I am a little more partial to the Pro Reverb because it gets louder while staying clean. I am also of the camp that believes the 6L6 is the ultimate power tube for the AB763 Fender circuits. A Vibrolux Reverb is kind of the perfect combo between a Deluxe & Pro...wish I had one, but certainly don't need one. A Vibrolux Reverb & Telecaster has always been a great match in my experience.

The cabinets are also a difference. The earlier Fender amps with a floating baffle generally sound less tubby than those produced after 71/72(I forget the year they stopped using the 1x1 strips to attach the baffle...might be 73). When Fender started using with the baffle attached with dadoes, it was a sonic downgrade. Besides some of the caps & the pull boost volume, the actual chassis isn't too different. To turn it into a "blackface", the impact of a cabinet with a floating baffle board shouldn't be underestimated.

6. gridlock

gridlock Poster Extraordinaire

$1200 is probably about the average price for a nice condition ‘77 Deluxe Reverb.
    Range of $1000 - $1400 (mint condition).

Plan on having a tech check it out (est. $100-$200) depending on what’s needed to get it safe and in good working condition.

7. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

70s Fender tube amps are great amps! Sure the wiring is sloppy compared to a blackface but they're still hardwired and easy to service.
    A huge plus in my book is the 5u4 rectifier tube. Those are dirt cheap even NOS, or free pulled out of some organ on the curb. With a BF it's a GZ34 a real British Mullard NOS is $200 and you can't use a 5u4 because of the current draw for the heaters.
    Other tubes are really pretty good these days new. I just don't trust new rectifier tubes.

My only thing about silverfaces is don't pay blackface money for one! They should be cheaper. But today people are asking stupid prices and maybe stupid people are paying it, if so I'd ask stupid money too. Lol
    Yesterday I looked at a NONWORKING silverface Twin Reverb, guy wants a grand for it!
    50 bucks worth of electrolytic caps and maybe some tubes will get it working. But he don't want to do that, just wants a thousand bucks for it. I didn't bother to make an offer. Got two TRs already.

scook, theprofessor and DADGAD like this.
  8. SoK66

SoK66 Tele-Afflicted

If the condition and price are right, buy it. They aren't making any more of them. I rolled the dice on one of those '68 Custom Deluxe Reverbs rather than search for a good silverface and tlost. The thing is joke. I currently have a '66 BFDR. When I got it I also had a '71 SFDR that blew the '66 away. The '71 was let go in a package deal of several amps that were collecting spiderwebs. Big mistake.

theprofessor and DADGAD like this.
  9. Phrygian77

Phrygian77 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

This is one I worked on a couple of years ago. The guy that brought it to me had already replaced the filter caps. All I did was replace the rest of the electrolytic caps, and upgrade the resistors on the octals. I thought it was a great sounding amp, even with the hemp cone speaker (which I would never put in an amp like that).

IMAG0301.jpg

IMAG0292.jpg

VonBonfire and theprofessor like this.
  10. fenderchamp

fenderchamp Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I bought one (a '77) from guitar center about 2 years ago for $999. the speaker had been replaced, but the original was included. I just keep the pull out boost pushed in and everything seems fine, I had a tech look through it. I don't know what he did, if anything, I can't for the life of me remember.

11. SnidelyWhiplash

SnidelyWhiplash Friend of Leo's

The days of cheap SF Fenders are pretty much over. Handwired amps that sound far better than any RI. Nowadays they are commanding a premium & perhaps they should.

BobbyZ and hotcoffeenochill like this.
  12. fenderchamp

fenderchamp Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I like vintage amps and all too, but If you can't sound ok through a DRRI...

It's not the amp.

13. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Welcome, guitarike! I see you are in England. That market is probably a bit different from the one here, and that amp will bring more there than here, I am thinking.
    In my world, condition and originality determine a great part of the value. If you don’t have experience in assessing such an amp, you are at a disadvantage. Pictures here could help. One wants to know the transformer codes, the speaker codes, and the serial number. I never buy a vintage Fender without seeing the circuit board. I also never take a seller’s claim of ‘great shape’ as anything except a come on....like a carnie barker. I have seen too many people give way too much money for player grade Fenders.

14. theprofessor

theprofessor Poster Extraordinaire

I have a 1976 deluxe reverb that sounds superb. Mine does not have the pull boost which was introduced in 1976, I believe. People sometimes talk about “blackfacing” a silverface deluxe reverb, but that’s really not a thing. Aside from a few of the differences in the silverface design mentioned above (like a PT spec’d for a different rectifier), the components are nearly identical everywhere. Silverface amps generally don’t command the same prices as blackface ones, and with deluxe reverbs the silverfaces can definitely sound just as good when they are properly serviced and outfitted.

Ringo, SnidelyWhiplash and Wally like this.
  15. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

Sure I like country music
    And I like mandolins
    But right now I need a Telecaster
    Through a Vibrolux turned up to ten

-John Hiatt, Memphis in the Meantime

16. MasterEvan07

MasterEvan07 Tele-Meister

Funny you say that, I recently acquired an '81 DR and when A/B-ing it against the '67 I rebuilt it's nearly the same. In fact I may even lean more towards the '81 despite the circuit being identical in both. I'm not sure if it's the glass making the biggest difference between the two or the iron, but all that to say - SHHH, don't let people know the 70/80s amps they're nearly throwing out are on par with the BF/SF forebears!

BobbyZ and theprofessor like this.
  17. RoscoeElegante

RoscoeElegante Friend of Leo's

I strongly recommend that you line up a very good tech BEFORE you shop around and choose a vintage amp.

I bought a '74 Bandmaster Reverb that was supposedly in fine shape. Four zap-outs/frustration-fests, three years, and three techs later, I finally found a tech who's truly skilled.

He had to start from scratch and undo the supposed fixes of the other two, supposedly able techs. They had misdiagnosed several problems--one of them quite obvious--making all the problems worse.

Now the thing is a ringing gem. Just glorious. Its own universe. But I would have had a much easier and much less money- and time-costing experience if I'd been smart enough to get the tech in place first, and then began looking for a worthwhile vintage amp.

In fact, I'm lucky that the prior techs' oversights and my impatience to fire up the thing didn't ruin it. Thank Gawd for good fuses!

Good luck in your search.

VonBonfire and SnidelyWhiplash like this.
  18. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

There is one meaningful change in DRs over the course of their production. Starting in 1970, the coupling cap going to the phase inverter was changed from .001mfd to .01mfd. This will add some midrange content that is not present in the earlier DRs. Fwiw, this change was applied to some... if not all...of the other Fender amps at that time.
    I first read of changing this cap from the .001mfd to larger value almost 30 years ago while reading various amp books. Iirc, it was in Gerald Weber’s book. However, he did not mention that Fender had done this during the SF era...or if he did I have forgotten that.

BobbyZ likes this.
  19. SnidelyWhiplash

SnidelyWhiplash Friend of Leo's

PCB amps that are ultimately destined for the landfill.

No thanks, I'll pass...

trouserpress and VonBonfire like this.
  20. MasterEvan07

MasterEvan07 Tele-Meister

Oh yeah! That was one curious difference you just reminded me of in the '81 - someone had previously installed a .02 ceramic in the PI coupling cap. Perhaps that midrange shift is what I'm digging vs. the .001 in my '67.

@guitarike do you have good lead on this '77? What's the asking price and state of the internals?

Wally likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.