1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

1975 Silver Face Champ- snap, crackle and pop!

Discussion in 'Amp Tech Center' started by SanAnTex, Nov 18, 2017.

1. keithb7

keithb7 Poster Extraordinaire

One 6V6 was missing when current owner bought the Music Master amp. That tells me, good chance one tube shorted out. Then cap burst.

2. SanAnTex

SanAnTex TDPRI Member

Hello everyone,

I haven’t yet got the chance to work on this champ do to traveling for work. I really appreciate everyone’s help and look forward to working on this amp! I am about to order a cap and resistors online... do you think I should order any other components and replace them while I’m already “under the hood” of this amp? Thanks!

3. SanAnTex

SanAnTex TDPRI Member

What is the simplest way to drain the caps and remove the death cap? I would like to get the death cap out of there before I solder in the new resistor and cap to the 6v6. I have seen a video online where the guy just plugs the amp in and let the tubes get hot, then turns off the amp. I also have a multimeter to check the voltage. Thanks!

4. peteb

peteb Friend of Leo's

whats the simplest way to drain caps?

Measure the voltage on the plus side of the filter caps, it will either be low volts, or it soon will be.

whats the easiest way to remove the death cap?

as you replace the two prong cord with the three prong cord, snip the cap out of the circuit.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.