1975 Fender Super Twin Referbish, Worth it?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Rich724, Sep 23, 2015.

1. Rich724

Rich724 Tele-Meister

I'm the original owner of a 1975 Fender Blackface Super Twin which has been setting in the basement for over 30 years. It was my workhorse amp mid 70's through mid 80's gigging every weekend (or more). Its in need of a total refurbish requiring new caps, tubes and a reverb tank. The estimate is thought to be about $350. I will never use this amp again as it is much too much for what I need and at 61 I'm hesitating lifting up the stairs as it weighs a ton. The only reason to refurbish it would be for a resale.
    In your opinion would this amp be worth the time and expense to have it done? My other thought is to cannibalize it and sell the pieces.

Your thoughts?
    Regards,

2. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

I take it that you have had a tech look at it? If so, did the tech fire the amp up? If 'no' is the answer to both of those questions, then imho and ime the amp needs to be brought up gradually on a Variac and then assessed. If the amp has already been fired up without that Variac approach and it makes loud sounds, fine. If you can get it to make loud sounds, then the viability of the transformers is assured. If that can be assured, then sell the amp ASIS with full disclosure.
    I find it distressing that such an amp would not command much in most markets, but perhaps you could get $450 for it ASIS??? If you put the $350 in it, I don't know that you would be seeing any profit from doing the repairs.

3. Wyatt

Wyatt Tele-Afflicted

What is the current price for a Super TR? Still $500?

The weight, power, and unpopular OD circuit really keep demand low.

4. Wally

I missed the Super Twin Reverb thing.....I focused on the 'referbish' thing. LOL
    Rich724 is in Lansing, Michigan. There might be someone around there who is a big Ted Nugent fan who would want such an amp.
    I actually an a fan of these amps...not for the OD but for that huge, warm clean thing. IT is the best SRV tone in a stock Fender amp that I have heard.
    IF I were close by, I would come over and make a deal with you, rich....but there are miles andmiles between us....adn shipping has gotten exorbitant.

Side note: Have you noticed that when the price of gas goes up, the shipping charges go up....but when the gas prices come down, the shipping charges stay high????
    I suppose they subscribe to the ''once you have 'em bent over don't let 'em up'' philosophy????? EEEEEHAW...

5. Unadan

Unadan Tele-Holic

Can we see a picture of your STR?

6. Rich724

Rich724 Tele-Meister

Thanks for the reply's. The price quote was given over the phone by an amp tech based on the description that I gave him so there is no guarantee that its wouldn't be more. No, it doesn't fire up at all. The tech thought that the caps are probably dried out. I would also bet that it would need all new tubes as I rode this amp hard and put her away wet. LOL. As Wally mentioned I wouldn't think of shipping this 100 lb. beast so I suspect that it would take a while to sell.

7. screamin eagle

screamin eagle Poster Extraordinaire

You're probably better off finding someone who can test tubes and if you have original the RCA's in there and they test as 'not used up' they may be worth more than the amp. I believe there are 6 of those 6L6 tubes in that amp.

8. screamin eagle

screamin eagle Poster Extraordinaire

Or you could hold on to it for another 25 years. Everyone is downsizing right now because people played loud for so long their ears are still ringing, they can't collect there thoughts and the headaches haven't gone away yet. The current generation is being forced to play quieter than generations past, but will grow tired of all this sterile quiet nonsense. in 20-25 years they're gonna want to experience the rawkus too.

Loud amp will be in demand again...in 20 more years.

The circle knows no end.

9. corliss1

corliss1 Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

"It doesn't fire up at all"

No power light, no buzz in the speaker, no tubes glowin', no nothin'? Or "just doesn't make noise" - those are two very different things that come with very different price tags most likely.

I'm in Lansing if you wanted a second opinion and wanted to come here :D Or PM me.

10. Wally

Applying wall voltage electricity to a long-dormant amp is not advisable...but I suppose it has already been done, right? IF a VAriac is not available, a current limiter is better than nothing.
    Corliss has made a great offer there....what kind of beer do you like, Corliss? OR...is it wine? or...just 6-string comradeire?

11. doc w

doc w Tele-Afflicted

If you have no big emotional attachment to it, then sell it as is. Someone will get a deal and you will save hours and $$$ trying to get it working. Let someone else figure out all that.

12. corliss1

corliss1 Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Hahahaha - I don't drink, but I do love amps!

I'm still about an hour away, one way. Unless you want to get it running for sentimental reasons it might be easier/cheaper to sell as is.

13. Wally

Nah....just get that one running, get 5 more of them plus 6 Dual Showman cabs, hook 'em all up, and wind a humbucking guitar...Catscratch Fever, indeed. Motor City Madhouse...you are 1/6th of the way the!!!!
    Seriously, at the right price someone around there has to know the connection and appreciate what that amp can do. At the right price, two people can be happy....you sell, they buy.

14. clintj

clintj Friend of Leo's

Just my 2 cents, but I'd sell it as is, with the price adjusted to reflect the needed work. I'd rather take an old amp to a trusted tech or do it myself rather than gamble on the previous tech having done sketchy work that needs fixing again.

15. muchxs

muchxs Doctor of Teleocity

Selling a Super Twin:

The non- reverb Super Twin is the unfortunate recipient of the big amps for less money trend. I've seen Twin Reverbs sell for $500 with a few at the very thin part of the curve for even less.

I'd expect a Super Twin to sell for less than $350. Nice amp but I douldn't be at the front of the line wavin' cash for $350.

Check this out:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/vintage-FEN...AMP-CHASSIS-/271992815306?hash=item3f5408feca

Lotta guys break 'em up. They're easier to ship in pieces. They're worth more in pieces.

My prediction on the eBay Super Twin: With an asking price of $329 and $70 to ship I'd be surprised if it goes anywhere. But then lotsa stuff surprises me by selling for a lot more than I'd pay.

A regular Twin Reverb chassis slots straight into a Super Twin cabinet.

I'd expect the cabinet is worth $200. Anyone want a bad- ass drip edge Twin Reverb with black grille?!

The heavy duty speakers are worth $50 each. The operative term here... heavy. IMO commercially available neodymium speakers came along 40 years too late.

The Super Twin as a "keeper":

I'd stuff it in a Bassman 135 head cabinet.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/vintage-FEN...tubes-works-/111757550558?hash=item1a0544e3de

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fender-Super-Twin-/201406552869?hash=item2ee4c41b25

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fender-Super-Twin-Reverb-Amplifier-/121725691423?hash=item1c576aa61f

http://www.ebay.com/itm/vintage-FEN...AMP-CHASSIS-/271959314448?hash=item3f5209d010

16. Rich724

Rich724 Tele-Meister

Thanks Muchxs. I was thinking along the same lines. I've seen working Super Twins not sell for $600 on e-bay and the only reason I would get this up and running would be to resell. I would never lug this thing to another gig.

17. Johnny Cache

Johnny Cache Former Member

Why not take to a local music store and put it on consignment? Somebody who knows how to fix it would probably jump on it for $350~. Their not bad amps but I still liked my '75 SF Twin better. If I were 30 years younger and playing the stuff I did back then I'd jump on it. Usually their pretty easy to fix, new caps wouldn't cost much and I suspect there is still some life in the tubes.

18. Wally

Rich...is this a Super Twin or a Super Twin Reverb?Just curious.... Odd I know, but there were two models...one without reverb. Imho, I would rather play a Super Twin Reverb than a SF TR as far as the sound is concerned.
    I guess my 'Ted Nugent played these' sales hype suggestion won't fly?? All of those people are as old as you and I.....and I haven't finished inventing that portable anti-gravity machine.

19. RedRock

RedRock Tele-Holic

In post #1 the op says the amp needs a new reverb tank.

So, it's a Super Twin Reverb.

20. Wally

Thanks, Red Rock. At some point, that got lost on some of the posters; and I started wondering...but I remember reading that, now. STR......I wish I were closer, Rich. That is a lot of amp, imho.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.