1975 Cold Case Solved In Our County!

Phrygian77

Poster Extraordinaire
Every time I read a story like this I always think "Was the victim the only victim? Was there someone before and/or after the one they know about?" Glad the caught him, finally, and it will be interesting to see if anything else shakes loose about his past... :oops:

We watch a lot of true crime TV. I've been surprised by a few who seem to have actually never done it again, like the case I had mentioned. Who knows why? Maybe because it didn't go the way they planned. Maybe they even possibly regretted it. Or, maybe they simply thought it was too much trouble, not worth trying again.

Last edited:

Stringbanger

Telefied
Ad Free Member

nojazzhere

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member

She was only 19. I had just turned 20. The murderer was probably 21 at the time.

The suspect is married. Can you imagine what his wife must think?
Like @Phrygian77, I watch a lot of true crime shows on the ID and HLN channels......and it's amazing how many crimes are now being solved decades later, through DNA evidence that was miraculously saved over the years. We have a number of unsolved murders and disappearances locally that we still have hope will be resolved.
I just pray there's a "higher court" that deals with these culprits, even if they escape judgment in this world.

Stringbanger

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Like @Phrygian77, I watch a lot of true crime shows on the ID and HLN channels......and it's amazing how many crimes are now being solved decades later, through DNA evidence that was miraculously saved over the years. We have a number of unsolved murders and disappearances locally that we still have hope will be resolved.
I just pray there's a "higher court" that deals with these culprits, even if they escape judgment in this world.

I know what you’re putting down!
Then, think of the millions of cold cases around the globe that will never be solved!

thunderbyrd

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter

oh, i absolutely believe there is a Judge and none of those murderers will get away with it, ultimately.

ZackyDog

Friend of Leo's
1664657657478.png
1664658499240.png

It's amazing how DNA technology resolved a 46-year-old cold case like this. I hope that there is closure for the family and friends.

Rest in peace, Lindy Sue Biechler.

Last edited:

Milspec

Poster Extraordinaire
While working for the Dept of Corrections for more than a decade, I have seen those DNA cases fall apart pretty quickly. I wouldn't be so certain that this case has been solved nor that their will be any conviction. DNA is a very interesting tool, but it isn't 100% like a finger print.

We had a monster that murdered a pregnant women with a tire iron because he didn't want her to have the child. He was the boyfriend and biological father at the time. His car was spotted parked in the alley. He was identified leaving the murder scene. He was a chain smoker who only smoked Charlestons and there were several Charleston butts found outside the house and near the body. He had bad scratches across his face and chest when arrested with an identified fingernail fragment of the deceased women in one scratch.

He was quickly found guilty and sentenced to life in prison for the double murder. After serving 12 years, his sentence was over-turned because a new DNA test on the cigarette butts didn't match his. Regardless of all the other evidence, they vacated his sentence and released him from prison.

A month later he was charged with the rape and killing of his new girlfriend....with a tire iron.

I have the seen the opposite as well, where the DNA match wasn't sufficient to get a conviction. Despite how it is portrayed in Hollywood, it is not the smoking gun and does end up being wrong at times.

Gardo

Friend of Leo's
You may not know her name but Lancaster County Pa. Assistant DA Christine Wilson is an absolute force in the cold case investigations. She also worked hard to have DJ Freez jailed for the rape and murder he almost got away with in 1992

Last edited:

thunderbyrd

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
there are 3 unsolved crimes that i would really like to see solved. one is Zodiac, one is Jon Benet Ramsey, and also the West Memphis 3. i've read about everything there is to find on these cases.

i will also mention that i have my doubts as to if the Atlanta Child Murders was actually solved.

Milspec

Poster Extraordinaire
Did you ever learn who it did match? One would imagine this would have to be contamination of some sort?
It actually came back to a person he hung around with and was found dead in a parked car a week after the incident.

It still amazes me that the courts can't read the tea leaves better, but the justice system is a system rather than an outcome.

Milspec

Poster Extraordinaire
You would be amazed at how many murderers escape punishment.

There was a guy that used to ride his bike around town all year long who had some mental deficiencies. Nothing severe, but enough to make it obvious when you spoke to him. He liked to read mystery novels and one day he asked me if I knew that a person could spray bleach over a crime scene to wipe out DNA evidence? A strange question to ask, but he read about it in his latest novel.

Two days later, a 17 year old girl was found raped and stabbed 37 times in her bed. The room was covered in bleach.

The investigation showed that the girl was known by the guy I spoke to about the bleach. She worked at a restaurant near her apartment and performed at a night club doing amateur stripping contests for extra money. The bleach guy also worked there for cash cleaning up the place before closing. At one point, the owners of the club thought it would be funny to pay the girl money to act like she was interested in our bleach fanboy. She went along with it until the guy followed her home and found out where she lived. According to the neighbors, she got into a shouting match with him as she explained that it was all just a gag, she wanted nothing to do with him.

That was the last time she was seen alive. The next night she was brutally killed.

He was arrested and jailed. Even admitted to the corrections staff that he killed her, but the courts stated that they could not accept the jailhouse confession to staff due to the mental issues. Remember that the victim was only 17 when she was drinking and stripping at that club in town, so the owners covered their ass and denied that she was ever in their club and denied that the bleach guy ever worked there (paid him cash remember...undeclared income) as well.

The District Attorney felt that a conviction wasn't possible because all they had was the argument in the hallway and my story about his interest in using bleach to destroy DNA evidence. Wasn't strong enough they said, the guy was released and never saw trial.

Last I heard, he moved out to Colorado. That was more than 25 years ago, but I know he got away with murder.

mycroftxxx

Tele-Meister
Even admitted to the corrections staff that he killed her, but the courts stated that they could not accept the jailhouse confession to staff due to the mental issues.
There are far too many cases where a somewhat mentally deficient person “confesses” because somebody misled the person into imagining what might have happened, or the person had a dream that gets twisted by the authorities into a “confession”, etc. For that matter, there are plenty of false confessions among non-mentally-impaired people too. People who say “oh, I would never confess to something I didn’t do” should read up on these cases; you might be surprised what prolonged interrogation by wily interrogators can do to anybody - even an innocent person.

Not saying this is what happened in the case you describe, but confessions are in general not robust evidence; nor, in general, are eyewitnesses.

Milspec

Poster Extraordinaire
There are far too many cases where a somewhat mentally deficient person “confesses” because somebody misled the person into imagining what might have happened, or the person had a dream that gets twisted by the authorities into a “confession”, etc. For that matter, there are plenty of false confessions among non-mentally-impaired people too. People who say “oh, I would never confess to something I didn’t do” should read up on these cases; you might be surprised what prolonged interrogation by wily interrogators can do to anybody - even an innocent person.

Not saying this is what happened in the case you describe, but confessions are in general not robust evidence; nor, in general, are eyewitnesses.
What you say is absolutely correct, eye witness testimony is not always trustworthy nor a jailhouse confession, but when put it into context I think it can be convincing to a jury.

Phrygian77

Poster Extraordinaire
there are 3 unsolved crimes that i would really like to see solved. one is Zodiac, one is Jon Benet Ramsey, and also the West Memphis 3. i've read about everything there is to find on these cases.

i will also mention that i have my doubts as to if the Atlanta Child Murders was actually solved.

I think the Jon Benet case is unlikely to be solved sadly. They have what, a partial possible DNA profile? That's one that's likely going need someone to come forward with information. Someone close to the killer.

I watched that case unfold in my late teens in 90s. I never once thought it was the parents.

aging_rocker

Friend of Leo's
Not a cold case (both perpetrators were caught and convicted and both died in prison - I refuse to mention them by name.) but police are digging on Saddleworth Moor at the moment trying to locate the remains of one of the victims of the 'Moors murderers'.

I know someone who worked in the legal profession back in the 80s with a person who was part of the original prosecution team on the case back in the 60s. This person would often be reduced to tears 20 years later, the details of the case were so horrific.

Although I'm not a religious person, I'd like to to think there is some version of hell for those b*stards to be suffering in for all eternity.