1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

1974X(ish) Build I Did 12 Years Ago

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by lowatter, Jan 17, 2021.

1. lowatter

lowatter Tele-Meister

Just thought I'd share this build I did and it's freaking me out that it was completed 12 years ago(where does the time go?). The good folks at Hoffman amps helped me with the design/questions/advice etc.

Still working flawlessly with the same JJ tubes. I designed it so that you could use a $6.00 tagboard instead of the usual turret board. I eliminated the tremolo and added an extra gain stage that(believe it or not), makes it cleaner at higher volumes or has insane "crunchyness" depending on how it's dialed. This is a great amp design.
    I would be honored if another builder copied this design. You would not be disappointed.

BTW...I took the Marshall logo off it and put "XTONE" on it instead after feeling guilty about it. I also built that DC Junior in the one pic but traded it for a Martin that I later sold. Note to self...STOP DOING THAT! I did build another DC Junior however.

BTW2...I scratch-built the cabinet and tolexed it. Tolexing/piping etc. is a real pain!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 17, 2021
    2L man, TeleUpNorth, Jowes_84 and 6 others like this.
  2. mjcyates

mjcyates Tele-Meister

That is one clean looking amp!

3. NTC

NTC Tele-Meister

Nice looking. The two amps I did the covering on do not look very nice.

Do yiu have an actual schematic for your amp?

4. lowatter

lowatter Tele-Meister

Last edited: Jan 18, 2021
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.