1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

1974 telecaster deluxe finish cloudy

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by dlmorley, Feb 6, 2019.

Tags:
  1. dlmorley

dlmorley TDPRI Member

Has anyone any thoughts on why this could be? It looks as if someone has buffed the crap out of it.
    Can it be a reaction to having sat in a case (under the pickguard is glossy).
    Do 70's finishes go cloudy on occasion?
    Any way to polish it?
    Any thoughts.
    Black is hard to photograph, but I'll add some pics.
    Thx!

IMG_20190206_152124921.jpg IMG_20190206_152104551-1.jpg l copy.jpg

Last edited: Feb 6, 2019
  2. skunqesh

skunqesh Tele-Holic

I've seen finishes get cloudy due to moisture.
    In those situations the cloudiness went away after the guitar was removed from the case and allowed to air out (up to an hour or so).

My theory is - the styrofoam / padded parts of the case absorb moisture over time and when warmed up or set out in the sun will create a humid environment inside the case.

dlmorley likes this.
  3. dlmorley

dlmorley TDPRI Member

Thx skunqesh

4. philosofriend

philosofriend Tele-Holic

It looks like someone has methodically scratched the thing up. Those big scratches are not from normal use. Restoring the finish would require starting with the finest abrasive paper that removes the biggest scratches. You would work up to the finest paper, then use polishing compounds. If you could find someone with experience in restoring automobile finishes they might be able to help you. You have to be very careful to not sand through the finish at the edges.

Here in the US, auto parts stores sell "rubbing compound" which is a cream with fine abrasive. Your guitar looks like it would need to be rubbed with aggressive cutting compound, then fine, followed by wax.

dlmorley and Dismalhead like this.
  5. rob2

rob2 Tele-Holic

second that.....looks like some clown went over it with steel wool.....I've a '71 Jazzmaster that came like that but worse.....lots of hard work with rubbing compound then final go with Gibson polish which seems to be the best for final pass....[/QUOTE]

dlmorley likes this.
  6. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

Totally agree. Get some rubbing compound, smooth it out, and then get some Maguiar's Mirror Glaze Swirl Remover and do a fine polish. This stuff's the beez neez: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001O7PNXC/?tag=tdpri-20

dlmorley likes this.
  7. dlmorley

dlmorley TDPRI Member

Thanks guys! Appreciate your suggestions.

8. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

Looks like someone tried to 400 grit wet/drey the finish - those finishes are poly, so they don't polish like lacquer. You could try a mild cut auto polish, with a lot of elbow grease you might get it shiny, but I suspect it's a bit soft.

9. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Everything needs to be removed from the body and then an experienced person needs to sand and polish in a professional manner. The guitar has a value that should not be even more compromised than it has been. The worst thing about restoring this finish is that the solder joints will have to be made ‘non-original’. If those joints have been disturbed already, then no harm done. I would documents the procedure with photos of the body and the solder jo8nts before and after the work is done.
    Further non-professional level work will only compound the problem and loss of value, ime and imho.

10. rob2

rob2 Tele-Holic

.....you may not need to unsolder anything.....carefully undo the jack socket and lift the bridge(to unclamp the earth wire),the scratchplate and wiring should be intact....the cup on the jack should be free now too,neck off,pop the ferrules very carefully and good to go....I wouldn't sand again,just buff....don't overdo it,the pickups,pickguard,neck etc all reflect the guitars age and you don't want it to look like its got a brand new MIM reissue body|!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.