1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

1974 Peavey Classic 50 MODs?

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by gtrdave71, Jul 30, 2009.

1. gtrdave71

gtrdave71 TDPRI Member

My 74 classic 50 is my back up, and I am looking for MOD ideas. I replacd the speakers with a WGS, Reaper 30 and a Heritage 65, which sound fantastic.
    I am looking for MOD ideas, I guess nothing specific.
    I no this amp is never going to sound anything like my DR Z StangRay, I am looking to get some experience with basic MOD's.

2. JohnnyCrash

JohnnyCrash Doctor of Teleocity

The '70s Classics are different circuits than the Classic 50's today.

I can't find any old Peavey schematics. Without a schematic, or having the amp in front of me, there's no way someone could help with mod ideas. Is it all tube? Solid state? Hybrid? How many channels? Reverb?

See if Peavey can send you one an old schematic...

3. Dr. Bill

Dr. Bill Tele-Afflicted

The old Peavey Classics from the 1970's were hybrid amps with solid state preamps and tube power amps (6L6's IIRC). There may have been some design inspiration from the hybrid Music Man amps of the same period. As I recall, they didn't sound bad, but I doubt they would be good candidates for mods. Hope this helps.

Dr. Bill

4. gtrdave71

gtrdave71 TDPRI Member

Thanks

I will see what I can dig up from Peavey. I kinda thought that this would not be a good candidate for a mod, and it does sound good on it's own. I guess if there were one thing I would like to try and change it would be the volume, It get's very gritty(not good gritty) sounding at mid to high volume, much better with the new speakers though.

5. Fontane57

Fontane57 Tele-Meister

google "the blue guitar" steve aola"s old site. most likely you can find something there.

6. Fontane57

Fontane57 Tele-Meister

7. e-merlin

e-merlin Doctor of Teleocity

One thing you can do with your amp, which is a Classic, not a Classic 50 (it's a 60 watt amp) is to use a tube preamp into the effects return, bypassing the SS preamp altogether.

You can post some pics, too! Is it one of the old Blonde Tolex ones or is it covered in the black pebble that Peavey used on most of their old amps?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.