1974 Fender Tele

Discussion in 'Vintage Tele Discussion Forum (pre-1974)' started by Mjea80, Sep 27, 2021.

1. Mjea80

Mjea80 Tele-Meister

Can you guys give me your thoughts about this guitar. These are the only pictures I have right now, but am trying to get more, especially the pots and under the guard.

Everything looks alright for it being a naturally finished 74 Tele. But one thing Im wondering about isthe bridge saddles. Were they changed to single string saddles sometime in 74 or 75?

Ive seen these bridges on the older Tele Custom’s but not much on Tele’s.

Anyway, any info is appreciated.

735EDDF6-6066-485D-83FC-612534A83B87.jpeg FD05B392-6E12-4DA9-8FA6-C3AAA0337192.jpeg 8A785862-F327-493E-9FCB-CB96A9B390FB.jpeg F95A90C1-1966-4087-8642-929AECC56FE4.jpeg

Last edited: Sep 27, 2021
  2. Dan R

Dan R Poster Extraordinaire

Very clean. Pretty sure that's an aftermarket bridge.

3. Controller

Controller Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Body looks brand new for being 47 years old.

4. Mjea80

Mjea80 Tele-Meister

Im starting to think that as well. Thanks for your input.

bluesguy62 likes this.
  5. ScottJPatrick

ScottJPatrick Friend of Leo's

Lots of early/mid 70's Tele's that were stripped to a natural finish, might have a 'natural' stamp in the neck pickup route if it's original.

6. milocj

milocj Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

The bridge says "Fender" on it so it's at least a factory part and not full on aftermarket. I think Fender introduced that bridge as original equipment on the '76 Custom and sold it as an accessory for the other Telecasters.

+1 on verifying that it's not a stripped finish. I think '74 may have been the first year for natural so it could be original but it was real common to strip them and a lot of earlier Teles are advertised as natural when they have been stripped instead.

7. Mjea80

Mjea80 Tele-Meister

Ok I will definitely have a look for that.

bluesguy62 likes this.
  8. blue metalflake

blue metalflake Doctor of Teleocity

No red flags that I see, though it’s incredibly clean, ding free etc. Raises the question is the natural finish original.
    Memory’s not what it used to be but I don’t recall seeing the six saddle bridge in that era.
    Be good to see pic of the neck code, also face of the headstock to see how it has discoloured. Neck & body cavities may have names or codes in them.
    Are you considering purchase?

9. knavel

knavel Tele-Holic

It looks maybe more like 1976 - i.e., whenever they started putting those black gaskets under the neckplate. Maybe that was 74 for standard teles, I don't know.

The fact that it's a nice ash body suggests original natural finish. I don't know about the "Natural" stamp being determinative. My natural 1975 Tele Custom doesn't have that stamp.

Here is the bridge plate from my 1976 Telecaster for reference in any case.

IMG_1032.JPG

bluesguy62, Skydog1010 and Mjea80 like this.
  10. Dacious

Dacious Doctor of Teleocity

The 1972 Custom came with the six saddle bridge and it was available as a part. A lot if not most people consider them rattlers needing constant tightening.

The standard Tele had slotted steel barrels. I reckon you'll find white paint in the routs. Natural was common on Thinlines but rarely optioned on standards which were regarded as a bit old-hat by then.

bluesguy62 and Mjea80 like this.
  11. Boreas

Boreas Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

The guitar is suspiciously clean. I would expect at least some wear/corrosion/filth on the bridge. But not impossible to find a cream-puff. The lack of case wear seems to match the lack of instrument wear - another good sign.

My 74 Thinline has a bullet truss rod nut and a 3-bolt micro-tilt neck. Serial number is 5253XX with the "2"being crooked. I understand the 4-bolt was standard on standard Teles then, but I thought they still had the bullet nut. However my knowledge is limited.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 28, 2021
  12. Cam

Cam Friend of Leo's

It looks good. As mentioned an after market fender bridge. The neck plate gasket is correct also the s# on the neck plate. 4 bolt neck is normal. Bullet truss was on the 3 bolt neck models.
    BTW it is a 74 in my my avatar (as if you can tell).

Last edited: Sep 28, 2021
  13. Antoon

Antoon Tele-Afflicted

!976 was also the first year for the black pickguards, I think, and the PG on that guitar looks original to me.

bluesguy62, Mjea80 and knavel like this.
  14. john_cribbin

john_cribbin Tele-Afflicted

No info, but an anecdote.

At one time I used to collect Russian / Soviet cameras. Their QC was even more flaky than Fender's CBS years.

It was an accurate rule of thumb, that if the item looked well used, it was well used for a reason. If it looked hardly used, it was hardly used for a reason.

Get your hands on it before you part with good money.

Gary135r, mojek, bluesguy62 and 3 others like this.
  15. Mjea80

Mjea80 Tele-Meister

Hes supposed to send me more pictures soon. Will update the post when I receive them.

Yes Im looking to purchase this guitar if it all checks out.

Boreas likes this.
  16. Mjea80

Mjea80 Tele-Meister

He says his uncle is the original owner of the guitar.

Nice well spoken guy. But if I do decide to purchase I will do an in hand inspection complete with pulling the neck to see what we ve got there and in the pocket.

Skydog1010 and Boreas like this.
  17. Boreas

Boreas Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Try to get a look at the pots and pickups if you can. Originality counts there as well. But it looks like a nice clean instrument.

One word of caution - look carefully at the frets. Fret jobs on vintage maple necks can be very expensive - IF you can find someone competent who agrees to do it. My guess is those frets are barely worn, like the rest of the guitar.

Mjea80 likes this.
  18. Mjea80

Mjea80 Tele-Meister

Yes forsure, thanks.

I should have pictures of the pots and under the guard tonight and will post them as well.

Boreas likes this.
  19. Skydog1010

Skydog1010 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Carolina's (pick one - that's where I'll be) USA
    I don't recall Fender ever putting black gaskets under the neck plate. Serial on neck plate doesn't look correct to me, nor does the thickness of the body or perfect brand new finish on the body. Bridge might be only authentic Fender piece on the thing.

Pull the control plate first. Then the pickguard. Leave the neck for last, but let seller pull the neck off with your coaching.

My 2 cents. Smells a tad fishy.

Jipes and Mjea80 like this.
  20. Antoon

Antoon Tele-Afflicted

Good point. Because of the thick fingerboard finish those frets may have been low when it left the factory.

Mjea80 and Boreas like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.