1973 telecaster worth it? I really want it

FSRCustomTeleHHGT

Tele-Meister
Well, no. There're no guarantees on any guitar of any vintage if it is used, so you're exposing yourself to all kinds of snags and risks if you buy it sight unseen.
Actually, there are no guarantees of quality for any guitar built any year by any major brand. Those who think all 52 Teles or 62 Strats are great didn't live through those years and play all the mediocre new ones in stores.

gnatp

TDPRI Member
Silver Supporter
I bought my 1972 Telecaster in 1981 (I am old) - I got a decent price on it because it was low-end mediocre. The sales guy called the cream color "toilet bowl white" and had it in the back with a few other dusty teles without cases that were CBS era so why would anyone want one?

There was absolutely nothing special about it, the nut was cracked and the neck pickup was muddy. Over the years I did tweaking and upgrading and I love it. Yes, it was made 50 years ago, that is cool, and it looks cool now, but the QC in those days was not great.

You can get a better Tele for a fraction of the crazy vintage price.

Robert H.

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
The 70’s Teles you (OP) are looking at have 1 Meg pots which make them quite bright and even harsh to my ears. I had a very nice ‘72 for a few years and changed out the pots to 250 ohms to suit my taste. Wonderful tone. These guitars also have heavy poly finishes which may be less than desirable. I would say not buy sight unseen if you can return it after a test drive.

Wrong handed

TDPRI Member
Hello, friends
I'm very interested in the Fender Telecaster of the 1970s.
A year after I started playing the guitar, I realized that I was pursuing a vintage sound.
It is very fantastic and makes me happy.
I don't do professional performances or recordings, but I dreamed of an original vintage instrument.
I already own two Fender Stratocaster. Therefore, I'm looking for the appropriate vintage Telecaster.
Hello,

I'm sorry for answering something you didn't ask, and for not answering so many questions you did actually ask.
I have a 76 telecaster that I love. I paid a good price for it, not cheap, but cheaper than what you are looking at right now. The guitar is very nice to play, and I do think that Fender has a bad rep when it comes to these years, but the Telecaster is not so bad compared to a Strat that I had from the same era. I do not have the Strat, but I do not have any plans to sell the Tele. I do think you can find way better instruments for that amount of money. An used Fender Custom Shop will be a better purchase as an instrument, without any doubt. And without any doubt you can find other instruments that will be better quality thant the 73 Telle.
However, if you are buying the guitar out of sentimental value... There is no replacement for it.

Robo1967

TDPRI Member
1978 Fender Telecaster Custom....It is one of the best playing and sounding guitars I have with all its natural wear Mojo to boot....Love the CuNiFe WideRange Humbucker.....Sweet sounding pup! It's a keeper for life.

Attachments

• t1.jpg
    t1.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 16
  • t2.jpg
    t2.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 16
  • t3.jpg
    t3.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 13
  • t4.jpg
    t4.jpg