1973 Telecaster Deluxe, real?

Discussion in 'Vintage Tele Discussion Forum (pre-1974)' started by EDub, Jun 8, 2021.

1. Denton

Denton Tele-Meister

I come from bass world, but a white pickguard was stock in that 72-73 era before the switch to all black the rest of the decade. Not on sunbursts, but other solid colors. I had a 74 Jazz that was black with white pg

2. Antoon

Antoon Tele-Afflicted

That is a stripped alder body. Originally SB or black probably.

3. toomuchfun

toomuchfun Tele-Afflicted

You probably have your answers, but here are shots of my all original '73 Deluxe.

73_deluxe-1.jpg

73_deluxe-2.jpg

Wally and Sax-son like this.
  4. Sax-son

Sax-son Tele-Afflicted

It looks legit from my recollection. Those pickups look like the originals. Do your research though!

5. Sax-son

Sax-son Tele-Afflicted

6. Rockbreaker

Rockbreaker Tele-Holic

Those are NOT vintage knobs, the originals have a concave shaped center piece and the font is smaller. That might be a reissue or MIJ

7. GoldDeluxe5E3

GoldDeluxe5E3 Tele-Afflicted

8. adjason

adjason Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

as has been said that looks like an alder body- if so it is not the original finish. That price should be much lower for that-and make sure if you consider it to see the pickups under the cover and make sure they are originals. Not top carve on those either- I still cant tell if it has one or not. Neck looks right except for nut but I would want to see the heel before considering it too

9. Antoon

Antoon Tele-Afflicted

I think what they are asking is almost twice what it is worth.

10. Matthias

Matthias Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

The bridge is correct. The Deluxes used a unique, narrower bridge with cast saddles… most/all post-72 70s Fender saddles were cast, not bent steel, but all the reissues used the bent steel saddles. These later cropped up on Fender Leads.

These are correct also. The early deluxes used, it seems, leftover knobs used on the Electric XII but these changed quite early in the run to something similar to Gibsons.

Antoon, Telecaster88 and Greggorios like this.
  11. Intubator

Intubator Tele-Holic

Bawlmer, MD- Home of the "Mayor Shuffle"...
    Makes sense that Fender would color paint a body with a knot in it vs clear it.

Wally likes this.
  12. lynnchpin

lynnchpin TDPRI Member

I'm not in expert but I believe the '73 only came in mocha brown and black. There is a reissue released by Wildwood & Fender called the Thin Skin series and they call it a '73, but I have an all-original '73 that my love for has brought me here today. I'm trying to upload a photo with high resolution but they're apparently too big

13. lynnchpin

lynnchpin TDPRI Member

0612210814.jpg 0612210814_HDR.jpg 0612210814a.jpg 0612210815_HDR.jpg 0612210815a_HDR.jpg 0612210815b_HDR.jpg 0612210815c_HDR.jpg

Durtdog and Telecaster88 like this.
  14. ScottJPatrick

ScottJPatrick Friend of Leo's

584*** serial, I know they're a bit all over the place but have you checked the neck date? Great looking guitar regardless, Mocha has nicely faded all over.

15. Denton

Denton Tele-Meister

Definitely check the pickups. I bought a 75 four or so years ago on Reverb and when i took it apart...the reissue pickups. Guy said he had no idea and offered the guitar to me for $1000 (refund the other $1200 back to me). I passed because the guitar weighed close to 9 lbs if I remember correctly. Loved the mocha and maple but was not loving the tone, which is because somebody swapped out the original WRHB’s. Disappointing experience all the way around.

16. lynnchpin

lynnchpin TDPRI Member

Thanks. I love it, haven't taken the neck off but the guy I purchased it from showed pix of it apart. I can't remember the dates but it was legit

17. lynnchpin

lynnchpin TDPRI Member

I've verified them. Didn't take pix at the time but I wasn't even worried when I did because these puppies sound unreal.

18. ScottJPatrick

ScottJPatrick Friend of Leo's

My '75 has 508149 as the serial number, the neck plate must have been hiding at the back of a cupboard for a couple of years before they found and used it. Have seen quite a few 73/74's with much later stamps.

19. Rockbreaker

Rockbreaker Tele-Holic

I'm sorry, I misunderstood your message, are you saying the knobs in the Reverb add picture for this guitar ARE or AREN'T original? I have two sets of the originals, one that came with my 73 and a spare set I bought and I have a couple of reissues and the knobs are definitely different. To the untrained eye they might look the same but they're not

20. Matthias

Matthias Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

The knobs in the Reverb post seem correct for very early ones but Fender seem to have moved very quickly to the style you described. I discovered this researching my own ‘73 against lots of vintage ones online - the early ones (or at least a lot of them) like mine apparently have the same style knobs as the Electric XII. The reissue knobs may have also changed over the years but I think they usually have the numbers the other way up to these old Fender Electric XII amp-style ones.

Piotr likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.