1973 Telecaster Deluxe, real?

Discussion in 'Vintage Tele Discussion Forum (pre-1974)' started by EDub, Jun 8, 2021.

1. EDub

EDub TDPRI Member

I have been offered a 1973 Telecaster deluxe that is described as original with virtually no mods. I have a question about the body contour, specifically the relief on the lower bout. I have not seen another with the body contour. I have only seen flat tops. my question is: did Fender manufacture this guitar as-is or was it modified or built? See pictures attached.

Thanks,

EDub '73 Fender Telecaster Deluxe_front.jpg '73 Fender Telecaster Deluxe_lower bout.jpg '73 Fender Telecaster Deluxe_front.jpg '73 Fender Telecaster Deluxe_lower bout.jpg

Telecaster88 and Greggorios like this.
  2. EDub

EDub TDPRI Member

Can anyone supply pictures of their '73 or '74 Tele Deluxe?

3. SbS

SbS Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I'm no expert, but front contour and white pickguard look odd. Doesn't mean it's a fake Fender, might be modified.

But can you post more detailed / hi-res photos? Also from the back of the guitar, headstock, neck, neck plate. That would help knowledgeable people to spot differencies / similarities.

KATT likes this.
  4. Telenator

Telenator Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

I don't recall there being a body contour on the originals. Is that a contour, or just the light source reflecting?
    really hard to tell if it's legit without seeing more detail.

If this is truly the sound you're after, you would do well to just build your own. &0's Teles are pretty dismal guitars for the most part and they're usually very heavy too.

You could build a brand new one that is a better instrument for less money. The new fender WRHBs have CuNiFe magnets and sound terrific.

Telecaster88 and TeleUpNorth like this.
  5. Danb541

Danb541 Friend of Leo's

I'm not convinced that's a body carve, looks like a reflection.
    Nut has been replaced as it looks black. I think it's legit. Maybe the PG was changed? Did they have a white PG in 73? or just black?

Stubee likes this.
  6. KATT

KATT Tele-Meister

Danb541 and SbS like this.
  7. Matthias

Matthias Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

From my knowledge… White pickguard is non-original, as is the front carve which means it’s a refin BUT I wonder if it’s a reflection rather than a carve? If so and it’s original, there should be a stamp saying “natural” in the cavity. The nut’s been changed. You definitely need better pics. I’d like to see the headstock shape a little better too.

Greggorios and Danb541 like this.
  8. ElJay370

ElJay370 Tele-Afflicted

I think that "contour" might just be a light reflection.

However, the headstock shape and decal placement look a bit out of whack to me....but given what went on at Fender in the wild 'n woolly 70's, who knows?

If you're thinking of cutting a deal, I would definitely ask for better pics before proceeding any further.

Danb541 and dogmeat like this.
  9. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

That picture is NOT a picture which would get that guitar sold to a serious and informed buyer. Even if the picture were taken so as to show the reality of that body, it is not enough for us to make much of a judgement. If one is going t9 buy a guitar from looking at pictures, one would want to see at least this many pictures if not more…
    https://reverb.com/p/fender-telecas...MIkPr44ISJ8QIVuwWICR1qYwGOEAQYBCABEgLb9PD_BwE

Telekarster likes this.
  10. ElJay370

ElJay370 Tele-Afflicted

Telecaster88 and Danb541 like this.
  11. ScottJPatrick

ScottJPatrick Friend of Leo's

Looks like a refinish to me, it would have 'Natural' stamped on the body under the neck pickup if it was original. Body carve might have been a factory mod but I doubt it. Not sure about 1973 either, serial 517*** and my '75 is 508*** although stamps are unreliable. White pickguard? The headstock is also far too clean, look at every Tele from the early 70's and you will see a much darker colour as the finish reacts to light. Would need to see photos of the neck heel and under the scratchplate.

12. EDub

EDub TDPRI Member

Thank you all for your input. You validated the concerns I had about the guitar.

Telekarster likes this.
  13. VillainSean

VillainSean Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

The nut has been replaced. The forearm cut is not original.

14. blue metalflake

blue metalflake Doctor of Teleocity

Body contour & arm cut, nut as mentioned. Serial number very unlikely for ‘73 - you’d need to see the neck stamp.
    I think the 6 saddle bridge is an after thought, as are those tuners.
    Either considerable mods or a bitsa!

15. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

Bridge saddles changed too. Should be a hardtail Strat bridge with stamped bent saddles.

hepular likes this.
  16. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire

Man those frets are flat as train tracks.

bebopbrain and hemingway like this.
  17. Piotr

Piotr Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

The price seems pretty high to me, for the US, isn't it? I would pass on that one, to be honest. Although, out of curiosity, I'd be interested in seeing what is underneath that pickguard.

18. SbS

SbS Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I think saddles, bridge and tuners look the similiar with other '73 Deluxe photos out there? Even the headstock decal is placed 'too high' in some other individuals.

In the Reverb link the nut replacement is mentioned too.

19. Intubator

Intubator Tele-Holic

Bawlmer, MD- Home of the "Mayor Shuffle"...
    I think it may be a legit Fender neck but I've never seen a Fender Natural body with a knot front and center on the top....

Telecaster88 likes this.
  20. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

There is every likelihood that Body could be a Fender body, but it would have been a solid color guitar…likely black. That is not a severe knothole. You never know what is under a solid finish until you remove the finish….

Intubator likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.