1973 Telecaster Deluxe - final photos

Discussion in 'Vintage Tele Discussion Forum (pre-1974)' started by Matthias, Aug 1, 2020.

1. Matthias

Matthias Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Finally got my 1973 Telecaster Deluxe back together and set up! So a sort of NGD for me!

73tele - 1.jpeg

73tele - 2.jpeg

73tele - 4.jpeg

73tele - 5.jpeg

73tele - 3.jpeg

73tele - 6.jpeg

73tele - 7.jpeg
    Finally, a pic with my other '94 MiJ Standard (toploader) and my '97 CiJ Thinline.

Work done:
    - Body refinished and relic'd to fit in with the other parts by Rexter Guitars
    - Original tone pots and caps restored - guts are now original except the volume pots, the output wire (the original was spliced) and the bridge ground
    - The mismatched, metric saddle was replaced with an original Fender part and I sourced an almost exact spring for the missing spring
    - Original tuner washers sorted out and reinstalled
    - Removed some verdigris on the bridge pickup
    - The case is a reissue

Originally it had a very poor DIY refinish in brown, which was blotchy and burnt through to a previous refin in places, with the back of the body a complete horror story. The control harness had been replaced as had a few other bits but I had most of that in a bag, minus one volume pot.

The restoration thread
    A list of specs and model revisions (as far as my research tells me)

I hope you enjoy the pics.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2020
  2. Seasicksailor

Seasicksailor Friend of Leo's

MARVELOUS!!

I actually did not suspect the relic'ing was not genuine from seeing the photos.

Enjoy!!

Matthias likes this.
  3. Matthias

Thanks! I um’d and aah’d about getting it aged and it’ll always be second best to an original finish or even a decent naturally aged refin. But now it’s picking up a few light scratches and smudges from handling, it’s really fitting in with the heavy wear on the rest of the parts where a factory fresh finish wouldn’t.

Telecaster88 and Seasicksailor like this.
  4. Telenator

Telenator Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

Nice guitar!

I offer the following as a helpful guide to get the most out of those Wide Range Humbuckers. There is a distinct sweet spot where they will suddenly open up and produce the vocal tone they're famous for. I have spent a lot of time with these pickups and created this guide to help others get there without all the drama. A person can really end up chasing their tail if they don't take an organized approach to setting the sound. Enjoy!

How to adjust CuNiFe Wide Range Humbuckers for the optimum traditional tone.

NOTE: Read this entire document before you touch anything……. Then start at the beginning.

Always start with the height setting first, and then turn the CuNiFe magnets as a fine tuning adjustment once you have the pickup set at the optimum position as described below.

Following this procedure will get you much better results and prevent unnecessary adjustment stresses on a new or vintage CuNiFe Wide Range Humbucker. It becomes very easy to start chasing your tail with these pickups if you’re not organized and methodical in your approach.

When you set the pickup height, start with the NECK pickup first. DO NOT SKIP AHEAD - This takes patience.

1) Set all the CuNiFe screw heights even, with the round of the heads just sticking out from the cover. Then lower the exposed G, B and E string magnets flush with the cover.

2) Hold the strings down at the last fret, and adjust the neck pickup height so it sits 8/64's below the strings on the bass and treble sides. Make it level.

3) IMPORTANT: Play for a few minutes and listen to the sound. Listen for the balance, tone and attack. Do not rush this process. Let your ears grow accustomed to the sound.

DO NOT ADJUST THE CuNiFe MAGNETS YET!

4) Start to lower the pickup, just a half turn at a time, to get the bass and treble balanced.

Do not raise the pickup to adjust for weak balance.

Lower the side that is louder. It makes a difference.

As you go lower, you will start to hear some really great tones come from the pickup.

You'll find a sweet spot where the reduced magnetic string pull allows for greater sustain, yet the sound remains very articulate.

5) Stop lowering the pickup when the articulation starts to fade and bring it back up a half turn or so.

You will also notice some really nice “note bloom” from the wound strings where the sound actually swells a bit after you pluck the note. This is the ideal position for those wanting the traditional WRHB sound.

6) If you now notice that one of the strings is still a tiny bit weak, or loud, this is the time to adjust the CuNiFe magnets to get the final balanced sound.

If two or more strings do not sound balanced, re-adjust the pickup height first before attempting to balance it with the CuNiFe magnet screws.

7) Adjust the bridge pickup until the output is balanced with you neck pickup.

The bridge pickup is not nearly as fussy and will not have quite the same characteristics as the neck pickup so it's important to get the neck pickup sounding great first, and then adjust the bridge pickup to the desired balance and output level.

This procedure will yield the best results for those seeking the true traditional tone. Rock it!

5. Matthias

I realised I forgot to take a pic with my other CBS model - my late '79/early '80 Strat. These two are polar opposites. The Strat had only been played at home and other than pick scratches, the only damage is some slight yellowing round the tuners. The Tele has seen a lot more life!

FS7C9804.jpg

6. Matthias

I’ve decided I’m going to do a video demo and review of this but just felt strongly compelled to give my impressions on... The smell!

New nitro refin + ball glove leather strap + 25-year-old but well-kept case... This is what life should smell like.

C6398812-B4B6-41F4-BCAF-2E89EAC398BE.jpeg

Telecaster88, Jake909, rze99 and 2 others like this.
  7. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Most excellent resurrection effort!

8. Fretting out

Fretting out Poster Extraordinaire

Super sweet

Why finish it in nitro?

I guess if it’s a refin anyway why not

9. Fretting out

Fretting out Poster Extraordinaire

I just got a Bill and Ted flash back from that comment

Jakedog, Matthias and RhythmFender like this.
  10. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

Nice one! Lovely work by Jon.

Matthias likes this.
  11. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity

[​IMG]

On the Deluxe, does it have a Strat-shaped neck pocket, or does it use a Tele neck pocket with the Strat neck and hide the gap with the pickguard?

12. Matthias

Why not indeed... Whatever I did it’s a better refin than before and I didn’t expect I’d add much value. But there is some opinion that sunburst and black colour coats stayed nitro into the early 70s — or at least the top coats aged in a similar way. Everything obviously had the bomb-proof undercoat. But I went nitro as whatever the truth, it got the right look for what they were using in ‘73.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2020 at 6:56 PM
    Telecaster88 and Fretting out like this.
  13. Henley

Henley Tele-Meister

Very sexy guitar!

14. Matthias

It’s a Strat pocket - or at least very similar. I wouldn’t take it for granted it’s exactly the same as the Tele Deluxe necks had their own nut width, tuners and radius and weren’t simply re-decalled Strat necks.

[​IMG]

David Barnett likes this.
  15. Telecaster88

Telecaster88 Tele-Holic

Those are two beautiful guitars that look even more beautiful together! Congrats on a job well done!

16. Matthias

Thanks. I feel grateful to have them both. Keepers for sure.

Telecaster88 likes this.
  17. tah1962

tah1962 Friend of Leo's

Very :cool: Nice trio of teles you have there. Enjoy.

Matthias likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.