1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

1973 Tele Custom Tuners?

Discussion in 'Vintage Tele Discussion Forum (pre-1974)' started by EasilyAmused, Oct 27, 2020.

1. EasilyAmused

EasilyAmused Tele-Meister

I'm looking at buying a 1973 telecaster custom that is up for sale locally. I just adore the guitar. I tried it a couple months back and haven't gotten it out of my head. After some selling off some other gear, I'm now able to buy it.

I went into the store, and it turns out there is a problem...

About a month back, from what I hear, another customer came in, pickup up the guitar, dropped it and broke the high e string tuner. As a result, it currently doesn't have an E-string tuner.

I'm wondering if there is a replacement option, or is the only option tracking down an original f tuner (which is what the store is currently working at doing)?

timbraun likes this.
  2. Marn99

Marn99 Tele-Holic

You'll need to find an original. The pre 1975(ish) Fender's have US made tuners, and afterwards used schallers. The US made ones are 1/4 inch all the way to the housing like a Kluson, but the Schaller style has a collar. Nobody that I know of makes the pre mid 70s style anymore.
    [​IMG]

3. Paulie_Boy

Paulie_Boy Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Curious: Does it have the diagonal holes or the double male posts?

4. knavel

knavel Tele-Meister

This is something that not a lot is said about. I learned about the distinction the hard way maybe 7 / 8 years ago when I wanted something smoother for my 70s Strat and Tele. I bought what modern Kluson touted as drop in replacement and got the collared style.

I wrote WD Music (I think that is their name) in Florida who own the Kluson trademark and they actually produced collarless version and sent me prototypes! I still have them installed.

I assumed from that that Kluson would produce drop ins for both styles but in a discussion I think on this site within the last year I learned that unfortunately this is not the case and that modern Kluson only makes the collared ones. It's a bit of a pity.

So yes the above is long hand for "you have to find vintage" or perhaps a set of the modern Klusons if they did in fact produce and sell the collarless ones for a while.

EasilyAmused likes this.
  5. Antoon

Antoon Tele-Afflicted

The missing tuner would not be a big deal for me. An original is not that hard to find.

EasilyAmused likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.